Confirmed with Link: Haula, Wallmark, Priskie & Luostarinen for Trocheck; 2021 5th round pick to VGK

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Wally and Priskie are the worst parts, but whatever. If trochek can return to a 75 point player, which i doubt, then its a win if not then it's just kinda a meh deal for me.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Willing to give this some time. The guy routinely plays at a 50 point per season pace, which should give us some legit scoring depth. If he's able to regain his form, he's locked in for another 2 years at what would be a very good contract number for us. And now we have a spot or two open for the glut of center prospects we've been acquiring lately.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
I agree I think this is good for CAR. Haula by all observations wasn't going to be here beyond this season. Eetu has never panned out. Priskie made moveable by Keane acquisition. Wallmark will be missed, especially if Martinook goes down with the inevitable injury again, but we're talking 4th line here. Others can step up. Canes still need a D and a Goalie.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Trocheck is way better then his numbers. We got him on a good contract for another 2 years after this for a pending UFA who didnt want to be here, A 3C, and 2 mid level prospects in a loaded farm system.

Carolina won this trade by a landslide
Exactly how I see it. Haula is nothing special and will probably be hurt again this year at some point. He’s older and a UFA.

Trocheck is still scoring at a 0.65 clip despite being “toast” but I am very curious what he can do in Carolina when not being dicked around.

SliceNDice92

Dec 10, 2017
Not as bad as it seems. It looks like a lot but as someone has mentioned Haula wasn’t going to stay we filled the priskie slot with Keane from NYR, Etu would have to jump Geekie to see the NHL and Trocheck is an upgrade that has proven to be a #2 center which Wally hasn’t. Still have Trocheck on a good deal for another 2 years.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Haula wasn’t re-signing. Priskie was irrelevant now with Keane, McKeown, and Kaski all in the system. Luostarinen is fine and might be a 3C someday or might really not. Wallmark I’m sad about losing because I think he’s a very good player but I get it.

The return seems like a lot when you look at the amount of players involved, but has the potential to be really nothing but Wallmark as far as future assets of value.

Trocheck also shoots right, which should help lineup balance and especially the PP.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The Borg is too enamored with the buy low philosophy. Sometimes there is a reason the price is low. I have a feeling we just picked up our forward version of Gardiner. Once good, but an injury that affects the player's mobility will end up being the defining characteristic of their play going forward.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Trocheck's 26 5v5 points would be tied for 4th on the Canes behind TT (30), Svechnikov (32), and Aho (34).

I see Trocheck as a huge Jordan Staal middle-6 C upgrade in offensive situations. Haula hasn't had one game where he was consistently dangerous since his injury. Wallmark is the toughest to lose but I don't think he ever becomes more than a streaky defensive 3rd line C which the Canes already have in Jordan Staal. Priskie and Luostarinen were likely never going to play with the Canes.

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
Haula wasn’t re-signing. Priskie was irrelevant now with Keane, McKeown, and Kaski all in the system. Luostarinen is fine and might be a 3C someday or might really not. Wallmark I’m sad about losing because I think he’s a very good player but I get it.

The return seems like a lot when you look at the amount of players involved, but has the potential to be really nothing but Wallmark as far as future assets of value.

Trocheck also shoots right, which should help lineup balance and especially the PP.

Pretty much this. Haula and Wallmark as RFA/UFA upcoming hold very little value and the prospects we have plenty of other players in our system that make up for their loss. This looks like a lot to give up but usually the team that gets the best player comes out ahead and in my opinion we did

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I like this. Haula clearly wanted out and is a UFA, Wallmark is solid, but not spectacular bottom sixer (but replaceable), Priskie probably wasn’t going to get much shot here. Like Bleed. I had some higher hope for Luistarinen so he’s the one I hate losing the most.

s side benefit is this gets rid of the rotating scratch.

big question is which Tocheck do we get?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
love it. this is exactly the type of move we needed. it slots jordan down to playing wallmark's minutes and gives us 2 legitimate scoring lines. trocheck is one of the most under appreciated guys in the league because he plays for florida. they're close with us in terms of teams that never get national coverage. the fact that he has term is huge. priskie is a hometown kid from florida, so it was perfect for them to pick him up. i don't feel a terrible sense of loss about any of the pieces we gave up here. wallmark was a good soldier, but pretty nondescript. haula was out after the season anyway. this is a steal in my opinion. we got the best player in the deal by a country mile and none of the pieces we gave up as far as prospects go were that difficult to part with.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Trocheck's 26 5v5 points would be tied for 4th on the Canes behind TT (30), Svechnikov (32), and Aho (34).

I see Trocheck as a huge Jordan Staal middle-6 C upgrade in offensive situations. Haula hasn't had one game where he was consistently dangerous since his injury. Wallmark is the toughest to lose but I don't think he ever becomes more than a streaky defensive 3rd line C which the Canes already have in Jordan Staal. Priskie and Luostarinen were likely never going to play with the Canes.
This is pretty much how I see it as well.

My only reservations about this is that we gave up all those assets to get him. Not that I think any of those assets individually were going to really make a meaningful impact to this team down the line, it just feels like a lot to give up for one player who isn't a bonafide 1st liner. But then again, he routinely gets 50 points a season, and his current pace, under which he supposedly sucks, would put him at or near the top of our team right now. And he's got 2 more years under contract at under $5m per year.

Its very likely he'll be centering the Necas line going forward. Those two could put up a ton of points together.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
love it. this is exactly the type of move we needed. it slots jordan down to playing wallmark's minutes and gives us 2 legitimate scoring lines. trocheck is one of the most under appreciated guys in the league because he plays for florida. they're close with us in terms of teams that never get national coverage. the fact that he has term is huge. priskie is a hometown kid from florida, so it was perfect for them to pick him up. i don't feel a terrible sense of loss about any of the pieces we gave up here. wallmark was a good soldier, but pretty nondescript. haula was out after the season anyway. this is a steal in my opinion. we got the best player in the deal by a country mile and none of the pieces we gave up as far as prospects go were that difficult to part with.

Agree with all of this. We got a better player than NYI did, with more term, for less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad