Prospect Info: Hatrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Neither option is economically viable

It would be much easier to transition Europe to the NHL sized arenas. You wouldn't have to do it all tomorrow, but you could start building those rinks for players who want to play in NA.

I'm not really married to the idea but I am really impressed that players can transition from one game to the other so quickly. We think it's easy but it's not.

randomhockeyfan

Sep 23, 2016
TO EVERYONE CONCERNED ABOUT LAINE:

Calm down. What did his amazing play in the FEL and World Championships have in common? His long hair.

We see that with his haircut he doesn't play as well. Its been said he has slow starts to seasons and then heats up. He also begins growing his hair at the start of each season. Coincidence? I think not.

And now we play the waiting game.

What happens when he goes bald? We trade him?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I'm just going to say it, now that the PS is done:
Patrick Laine has a ton of talent, but has been nothing special this TC. I have not been impressed with his acceleration--his first few steps-- although his top speed looks good, his stick handling is very good, and his defensive awareness and decision making are also good. In the NHL game, quickness and confidence are key, and Laine looks way less comfortable and quick than, say, Connor or Morrissey.
He is much steadier on his feet than Scheifele was his first TC, but overall Scheif stood out much more as a rookie.
It would be interesting to have a more constructively critical appraisal of Laine than what has been appearing here.

Totally agree. I have no problem admitting that I'm somewhat disappointed in his performance even though I was one of those that didn't have very high expectations to begin with.
I'm happy with his defensive awareness and that it looks like he's focusing on that quite a bit. But he has a big adjustment period ahead of him. I have absolutely no problem with him working these things out in the AHL and building his confidence there.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Mats Sundin went bald too..... oh nevermind he's a swede...(oh oh now I'm probably on the scandinavian hit list)

And apparently Finland isn't even considered part of Scandinavia by strict definitions so doubly so.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
He has lots to work on. More than I, personally, thought he would after playing in a men's league.

His willingness to play defence is great. However, he seems to be struggling along the boards, and the speed and skill of forechecking is definitely resulting in turnovers.

He is a big kid, but he is getting his lunch eaten all over the ice. He definitely has to add strength to his frame. He needs to start using his size better all over the ice.

He needs to pick up his sense of urgency when he does get the puck. He doesn't have the speed, or space, to stick handle around far higher quality players he is seeing in the NHL.

I am hoping he starts wanting the puck more.

Not panicked, but he has not been as noticeable during the pre-season as recent high picks that have come out of junior. Just a reality.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Totally agree. I have no problem admitting that I'm somewhat disappointed in his performance even though I was one of those that didn't have very high expectations to begin with.
I'm happy with his defensive awareness and that it looks like he's focusing on that quite a bit. But he has a big adjustment period ahead of him. I have absolutely no problem with him working these things out in the AHL and building his confidence there.

Would you still take him over, say, PLD, PuJu, or Sergachev?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It would be much easier to transition Europe to the NHL sized arenas. You wouldn't have to do it all tomorrow, but you could start building those rinks for players who want to play in NA.

I'm not really married to the idea but I am really impressed that players can transition from one game to the other so quickly. We think it's easy but it's not.

Would be terrible sight lines for the fans with all that empty space. I doubt it is something they would ever pursue

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
He has lots to work on. More than I, personally, thought he would after playing in a men's league.

His willingness to play defence is great. However, he seems to be struggling along the boards, and the speed and skill of forechecking is definitely resulting in turnovers.

He is a big kid, but he is getting his lunch eaten all over the ice. He definitely has to add strength to his frame. He needs to start using his size better all over the ice.

He needs to pick up his sense of urgency when he does get the puck. He doesn't have the speed, or space, to stick handle around far higher quality players he is seeing in the NHL.

Not panicked, but he has not been as noticeable during the pre-season as recent high picks that have come out of junior. Just a reality.

Good analysis and I echo your sentiments at the end. Not panicked but a bit more pessimistic than with all the hype at the draft.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

He's playing along the boards on his backhand. It will take time. I thought they might try him at RW for this reason but it looks like they want him at LW for now.

I have yet to see the team work on forechecking drills at TC. I suspect this will change this week.

His Corsi has been pretty good for a player with so many problems :sarcasm:

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011

Agree with you, I also have the same feelings about Connor. Next week when the wick gets lit and the game gets faster these guys are going to get exposed, 1st line AHL time can only help them. Still not worried about their long term outlook both will be A list NHLers.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Play / receiving pucks along the boards is certainly not something I'd call a strength of Laine's. That's why I find it a little odd that the line almost exclusively plays the pucks to the other wing and then play the puck to Laine specifically along the boards. In my opinion, Laine functions much better if he's the one bringing it in and making the initial play and Armia would also be better at receiving the puck along the boards.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Play / receiving pucks along the boards is certainly not something I'd call a strength of Laine's. That's why I find it a little odd that the line almost exclusively plays the pucks to the other wing and then play the puck to Laine specifically along the boards. In my opinion, Laine functions much better if he's the one bringing it in and making the initial play and Armia would also be better at receiving the puck along the boards.

I'd want Perreault leading the rush myself.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Would you still take him over, say, PLD, PuJu, or Sergachev?

Very good question. When I first saw Laine and Pulji play I was blown away by Pulji. Noticed him time and time again. The commentators kept talking about this Laine guy and I just hadn't noticed him. Liked Aho too.
But I quickly found out that I was in the minority and I'll defer to people who follow it much more closely than I do. I wasn't a Laine fan (also didn't like his interview) and still don't see what everyone sees in him. Except his shot of course, it's off the charts.
So, I'll put my opinion aside and defer to the experts but my own personal eye test has never been as impressed with him as many others have. Sure he'll be a very good player but I think some of the expectations need a bit of tempering.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
The problem is that the game is played in a small rink almost entirely on the boards. There's no room in the middle= there's no room for "bringing it in".

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Laine doesn't turn nineteen until next April for crying out loud. People should tone things down a bit.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
I'd want Perreault leading the rush myself.

I find for a kid with such a wicked shot. His teammates have not been using him much. Even on the power play they are not trying to set him up. Or perhaps he is just trying to be a good teammate and deferring a little to much.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I find for a kid with such a wicked shot. His teammates have not been using him much. Even on the power play they are not trying to set him up. Or perhaps he is just trying to be a good teammate and deferring a little to much.

Too much Myerson the PP. He has trouble using his teammates on general.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The problem is that the game is played in a small rink almost entirely on the boards. There's no room in the middle= there's no room for "bringing it in".

? They've "brought it in" through Armia's wing like 500 times, even ramming themselves into 3 guys when Laine has his entire side of ice wide open.

Dumping from the red line isn't the only thing that you can do in NHL nor is it the only thing the team has done.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
TO EVERYONE CONCERNED ABOUT LAINE:

Calm down. What did his amazing play in the FEL and World Championships have in common? His long hair.

We see that with his haircut he doesn't play as well. Its been said he has slow starts to seasons and then heats up. He also begins growing his hair at the start of each season. Coincidence? I think not.

And now we play the waiting game.

This. You have to wait till 2017 before make any judgement. His last autumn was very streaky and didn't escalate much before christmas

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
? They've "brought it in" through Armia's wing like 500 times, even ramming themselves into 3 guys when Laine has his entire side of ice wide open.
Not sure what game you were watching.

Dumping from the red line isn't the only thing that you can do in NHL nor is it the only thing the team has done.
Of course it's not. But 9/10 you dont have any other choice, if you dont want to cause turnovers like Burmi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad