Post-Game Talk: Hasta la vista

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Campbell stole this game for the Oilers. That was not a typical 6-1 game.
If not for him they lose this game early but he let the team get their game in gear.
Still a lot of defensive sloppiness but Campbell bailed them out this time.

Hyman, RNH and Foegele were excellent. So was Drai.
Amazing goal by Connor but if not for an absolutely atrocious play by the Preds dman that play doesnt even happen.

Hopefully this team can continue to get its shit together.
The game had every look of a 6-3 or 6-4 game. Campbell was taking sure goals away and robbing on at least 3 occasions. Easily a dozen of his saves were difficult. The Oilers played loose and wide open. Nashville managed to be worse. Oilers shouldn't feel too satisfied with the game. Last night was easy as games come on the calendar. A Preds team we beat in our sleep. Nashville fans I think were cheering for our team. We're the home team there now, lol, thats how much we own them.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The bonus structure for a player in his situation is actually pretty standard. Sometimes it will be prorated as is the case with Pacioretty for example but it is typically a relatively small number of games to earn the whole thing.
That doesn’t make it smart. Especially for a guy who frankly has never even been a $4m player for any extended period of time. It’s not like this was signing a Patrice Bergeron to a bonus laden deal where you know you’re going to get a stud player. Connor Brown is a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Truthfully he hasn’t looked very good since his first season here. Even before the wrist injury last season he didn’t look particularly good.
Exactly why I was opposed to re-signing him when the team had bigger holes to fill. Every member on this board came at me with the hitzzzz argument

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The game had every look of a 6-3 or 6-4 game. Campbell was taking sure goals away and robbing on at least 3 occasions. Easily a dozen of his saves were difficult. The Oilers played loose and wide open. Nashville managed to be worse. Oilers shouldn't feel too satisfied with the game. Last night was easy as games come on the calendar. A Preds team we beat in our sleep. Nashville fans I think were cheering for our team. We're the home team there now, lol, thats how much we own them.
I dont know about the Oilers being the home team...a little bit of hyperbole there. :D

That said I completely agree with everything else. The Oilers definitely played loose and wide open.

I especially appreciate your comment that the Oilers shouldn't feel too satisfied with this game.
If they really consider themselves a SC contending team then they should be entirely dissatisfied with the way in which they won that game IMO.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I thought the Oilers played the 2nd game against vancouver much better than the preds game.

Saros just went full skinner.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That doesn’t make it smart. Especially for a guy who frankly has never even been a $4m player for any extended period of time. It’s not like this was signing a Patrice Bergeron to a bonus laden deal where you know you’re going to get a stud player. Connor Brown is a 2nd/3rd line tweener.
It's not really a question of smart but rather of necessity, or at least that is how I suspect that management sees this. This is definitely a risk, but it is also a cap driven risk. Regardless of his bonus Brown is a $775K player this year. That matters because the Oilers are clearly in a win now mode. Until the off season this is how management will view him. The goal is to ice the best team possible this year and then deal with next year when it comes.

Even if he is a 2nd/3rd line tweener, that is still considerably better than what you get for $775K. I have to admit I was hoping that the number would be more like $3M. But it seems he had options. In the end this deal will probably cost them $3.5-3.8M which is really just a few $100K at worst more than the typical cost of such a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad