Post-Game Talk: Hasta la vista

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Watched the game, have been offline most of the past 24+ hours (busy busy busy) but happy we won and the the lines worked great. Campbell was excellent despite a lot of wobble at times in our own zone. Z+1 system seems to be a work in progress despite 5 weeks of camp, 2 weeks of captains skates and a week (3 games) into the season. Not sure what Woody was trying to accomplish in that time but training camps do not appear to be his strong suit.

In any case I cant be an Oiler fan if I dont complain about something.

Lots of work to do in our own zone still but nice to see the offence and goaltending on the positive side of the ledger.

Reactions: bellagiobob

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
lol when did Brown almost score last night? He had one chance on the wing and took a shot and it was a routine stop. What did he create? He looks slow, and in the third period he looked hurt. Watch him when he was pissed pulling away from the boards after a hit. Weird that he was limping, it was a routine hit.

We could have still damaged goods here. For sure Brown hasn't been up to much and thus already being dropped down.
2nd period and are you sure you even watched the game fully? You said the Oilers were being outshot at one point 14-4. When Nashville hit 14 shots we had 12 shots lol

Man oh man, people are so quick to jump on Brown, it’s only been 3 games and one of those games the whole team looked like garbage.

We sounding like Leaf fans in this thread
Weren't a lot of people on here ready to waive Foegele before last game too lol

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Some thoughts on last night.

Kane dragged down McDrai, so many plays died on his stick and he didn't do anything positive of note really. Why "stack" the line with our best 2 forwards only to give them an absolute boat anchor?
Nurse-Ceci also killed the shift for whichever line they were playing with almost 100% of the time. Ceci in particular looks truly bewildered with and without the puck.
Campbell was great. Broberg looked steady for the most part. Janmark makes a couple of savvy plays every game and doesn't give up much. I'm high on Holloway, he works hard and the more confident touches will come eventually. Bouchard has unbelievable vision but he drives me nuts without the puck sometimes. Ekholm needs a few more games to get up to speed.

Seem reasonable? Anything I am out to lunch on?

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
I'm sure Kancic has had a bit of a decline due to his wrist injury, in terms of puck handling and shooting, but his legs look slow.

Is he just starting the natural pwf decline? Or did he not put in any work in the off season and it's going to take him another 20 games to get up to speed?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
And we're risking losing a top 9 forward. It's been 3 games man. A game ago we had a goaltending problem. Now everyone is rejoicing. 3 games in and people are talking about waiving Brown. What is this madness lol
If game 9 comes around and he looks like he’s lost a step I don’t think you can risk 3.25m dead cap next season banking on him turning it around. At the very least I think you send him down and see if he can tear up the AHL.

But there is no way Holland would do that anyway, so the discussion is moot.

The fact that none of the bonuses were actually tied to performance was insane.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Some interesting data to go with Leon's dominant play against the Preds. The below is quite funny to me for some reason.

Draisaitl’s run is even more ridiculous when you realize he has 22 goals in the past 12 games and the Predators team has scored 28.

Reactions: FunkyChicken

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Realistically... we should have known it's likely going to take Brown a while to get up to speed and there's a non-zero chance he has a season that's no better than Yamamoto would have here because of his time to recover from that injury and adapt to his new team/linemates.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
831ehp.jpg

Reactions: Duke74

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Sorry, xGF%; so a ratio of expected goals for and expected goals against. Just means he had more xGA than xGF. Preds had a lot of high danger chances against the Oilers top line tonight.
Ah, gotcha, thanks. I may not be an analytics expert, but I do understand how xGF relates to xGF%, which is why I was confused about him being low on xGF. xGF% makes more sense.

Last edited:

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
lol when did Brown almost score last night? He had one chance on the wing and took a shot and it was a routine stop. What did he create? He looks slow, and in the third period he looked hurt. Watch him when he was pissed pulling away from the boards after a hit. Weird that he was limping, it was a routine hit.

We could have still damaged goods here. For sure Brown hasn't been up to much and thus already being dropped down.
If you watch the drop the oilers don't expect Brown to hit the ground running, they expect him to get better over the course of the year and hit his stride mid to late season. As per Holland when speaking about Brown in the offseason.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If game 9 comes around and he looks like he’s lost a step I don’t think you can risk 3.25m dead cap next season banking on him turning it around. At the very least I think you send him down and see if he can tear up the AHL.

But there is no way Holland would do that anyway, so the discussion is moot.

The fact that none of the bonuses were actually tied to performance was insane.
The bonus structure for a player in his situation is actually pretty standard. Sometimes it will be prorated as is the case with Pacioretty for example but it is typically a relatively small number of games to earn the whole thing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Campbell stole this game for the Oilers. That was not a typical 6-1 game.
If not for him they lose this game early but he let the team get their game in gear.
Still a lot of defensive sloppiness but Campbell bailed them out this time.

Hyman, RNH and Foegele were excellent. So was Drai.
Amazing goal by Connor but if not for an absolutely atrocious play by the Preds dman that play doesnt even happen.

Hopefully this team can continue to get its shit together.

Reactions: FunkyChicken

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Jay would never do this but I would try the kid (Holloway) with McDrai next game. Kane is in a funk and killing many plays on that top line. He should see some time in the bottom 6.

Drai-McDavid-Holloway
Foegele-RNH-Hyman
Kane-McLeod-Brown
Erne-Janmark-Ryan

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Jay would never do this but I would try the kid (Holloway) with McDrai next game. Kane is in a funk and killing many plays on that top line. He should see some time in the bottom 6.

Drai-McDavid-Holloway
Foegele-RNH-Hyman
Kane-McLeod-Brown
Erne-Janmark-Ryan
I like that arrangement as it gives you three scoring lines. Plus Kane and McLeod will compliment each other with a speedy skilled player and a big body to go to the next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad