Post-Game Talk: Hasta la vista

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I didn’t think Brown would be as ineffective as he has been. Its still early but hopefully he gets going. Might be a harsh take. But I think if he doesn’t show much by game 9, the team has to consider waiving him. Hopefully he gets going and its a moot point.

We will see on Kane. Still early. But getting bad vibes with him.
Waiving Brown? That is more than a harsh take. That's pure lunacy.

He created chances last night and almost scored on a couple. It's not like he's sagging or looking like he's out of place. Waiving a player after playing 9 games AFTER not playing for a full season. How does that even make sense?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You said there was zero change we wouldn't be loving Browns play by now. I would love seeing him play for our opponents.

That said I agree Holland probably isn't doing anything and we probably have Brown as long as he can go. Am I the only one seeing him hobble and limp after a routine hit on the boards last night? The guy still isnt' right, and frankly he's been slow and seemingly avoiding contact. he was pissed the Pred finished a modest hit on him. He had trouble skating away from that one.
I did not say that, the he would be really good right off the bat part, and... 3 games Drive 3 games.

Reactions: capazzo and TB12

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

He created chances last night and almost scored on a couple. It's not like he's sagging or looking like he's out of place. Waiving a player after playing 9 games AFTER not playing for a full season. How does that even make sense?
It will never happen, but it would make sense because you’re risking 3.25m on the cap next season and if he hasn’t started playing like a $4m player it would be prudent to make sure you aren’t making a huge sacrifice next season waiting for him to figure it out.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I did not say that, the he would be really good right off the bat part, and... 3 games Drive 3 games.
You said that people (or me) would be loving Brown play here. He's never really stood out to me in games, not sure what all the fuss was about tbh.

I loved the addition of Barrie, Kane, Hyman, Ekholm etc here but Connor Brown? big yawn tbh.

In Browns defense though part of my reaction is just to how limited Hollands offseason was. I don't think we should have stood pat as we did. D defnintely needed more help and our bottomsix still a lot of fill. Even more fill this season.

I do think we lost more than we gained in offseason.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It will never happen, but it would make sense because you’re risking 3.25m on the cap next season and if he hasn’t started playing like a $4m player it would be prudent to make sure you aren’t making a huge sacrifice next season waiting for him to figure it out.
And we're risking losing a top 9 forward. It's been 3 games man. A game ago we had a goaltending problem. Now everyone is rejoicing. 3 games in and people are talking about waiving Brown. What is this madness lol

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Not playing him for a few games, and going with the hot guy is not giving up on him though. I think you go with Campbell for at least another 2-3 starts in a row if he keeps up the solid play. Skinner will get his chances, not to worry.

Yes, the score would help explain some of that. But it's hard to argue that they still need to clean up stuff in their own end. Even the first star Draisaitl said that in his post game interview. It worked out if it's Nashville as the opposition. Might not work out so well if they're playing the Avs, Leafs or Vegas.
I think you misunderstand when i say not giving up on Skinner, i mean trading him away, not sitting for a few games. I believe Campbell is earning the net.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
And we're risking losing a top 9 forward. It's been 3 games man. A game ago we had a goaltending problem. Now everyone is rejoicing. 3 games in and people are talking about waiving Brown. What is this madness lol
We still obviously have a goaltending problem.

And you’re right, it’s been 3 games. But game 9 is where a smart GM would need to make a very difficult decision.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I don't know we ever see another interview or player quite like Draisaitl.

Fitting as well he now is the alltime leading Oiler PP sniper.
So true. It’s a big part of why I gravitate towards him as a favourite player.

His extraordinary skills and game attributes aside, the man is so intelligent in his thoughts, heartfelt when he speaks and brutally honest when it’s required. He takes heat for his comments and honesty at times (Jim Matheson) or his body language on ice, but he stands by what he says and he more often than not, backs it up.

In this day and age of automatons, cliches and faceless personalities, he’s a true gem. The Oilers and the league are fortunate to have him as part of their organization/league.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

lol when did Brown almost score last night? He had one chance on the wing and took a shot and it was a routine stop. What did he create? He looks slow, and in the third period he looked hurt. Watch him when he was pissed pulling away from the boards after a hit. Weird that he was limping, it was a routine hit.

We could have still damaged goods here. For sure Brown hasn't been up to much and thus already being dropped down.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So true. It’s a big part of why I gravitate towards him as a favourite player.

His extraordinary skills and game attributes aside, the man is so intelligent in his thoughts, heartfelt when he speaks and brutally honest when it’s required. He takes heat for his comments and honesty at times (Jim Matheson) or his body language on ice, but he stands by what he says and he more often than not, backs it up.

In this day and age of automatons, cliches and faceless personalities, he’s a true gem. The Oilers and the league are fortunate to have him as part of their organization/league.
I don't want to generalize but Leon is not unlike myself, or how my dad was and we tell people what we think and take the lumps for it. Political correctness or other virtue, historically wasn't a big Germanic trait.

Another thing is that some players, immediately after game when still fatigued, tired, elevated metabolics, its the time where you can get testy. I remember when I used to train hard in gyms I would need a half hour of downtime before responding to much. I could be hair trigger immediately after a workout. This is when the scribes are catching these players.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You said exactly that people (or me) would be loving Brown play here. He's never really stood out to me in games, not sure what all the fuss was about tbh.

I loved the addition of Barrie, Kane, Hyman, Ekholm etc here but Connor Brown? big yawn tbh.

In Browns defense though part of my reaction is just to how limited Hollands offseason was. I don't think we should have stood pat as we did. D defnintely needed more help and our bottomsix still a lot of fill.

I do think we lost more than we gained in offseason.
He's a very hard working two way middle 6 forward that has some scoring touch, I never made him out to be more than that. He has a Hyman-like work rate and I said that you'll like the way he plays but I've also said that it may take time for him to find his footing because of the injury recovery and to be honest, his linemates including McDavid haven't been great either. Sometimes it takes players a while to work into a season and settle in.

As I said, it's been 3 games so I think it's a little early to throw him away already but everybody is entitled to their opinion so I can't tell you how to feel. I'm going to be patient and let it play out before making final judgment. If he's not improved by Game 9 or 10 or so then I can understand concern starting to set in.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's a very hard working two way middle 6 forward that has some scoring touch, I never made him out to be more than that. He has a Hyman-like work rate and I said that you'll like the way he plays but I've also said that it may take time for him to find his footing because of the injury recovery and to be honest, his linemates including McDavid haven't been great either. Sometimes it takes players a while to work into a season and settle in.

As I said, it's been 3 games so I think it's a little early to throw him away already but everybody is entitled to their opinion so I can't tell you how to feel. I'm going to be patient and let it play out before making final judgment.
Maybe. Like others have said we don't get a lot of track to kick the tires on Brown and I don't like how it hamstrings our cap for next season either.

Brown isn't an impact scorer or producer and never has been. Just looking at his career stats seems like 200ft play has been oversold.

he certainly hasn't shown anything close to a Hyman work rate and I did notice Hyman all the time in Toronto.

Injury recovery should not be any excuse. Connors time to recover has been inordinate. Nobody that recovers fully takes 19mths to recover from the injury he has. That isn't even a timeline. Given that he was limping in third period (maybe related, maybe not) and that he hasn't had any jump its not looking good.

Holland specifically gave limited window for evaluation of this player. 10 games. So that after each game isn't really being premature evaluation, specifically, its related to the contractual position we're in, and that if Brown can't help we need to recognize that immediately. (not saying he can't but that he hasn't)

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
kinda like the way you defended Lucic?, or Yakupov?
LOL, your take on players is suspect, or better yet bizarro world,,,whatever you think of a player, the opposite tends to be true.

You thought Bear was the next Makar. Tisk tisk

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
kinda like the way you defended Lucic?, or Yakupov?
LOL, your take on players is suspect, or better yet bizarro world,,,whatever you think of a player, the opposite tends to be true.
He was right on Puljujarvi.

I'll take my lumps.

That said scouting is hard, NHL is hard. The top picks in the world are sometimes just not up to the task and thats harder to predict. Historically theres been a fair amount of #1 or high picks that once they landed in the NHL they did not go well from there. Its not always about assessment. its about knowing what the individual desire/resilience of the player is to do everything it takes in the hardest league in the world.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Maybe. Like others have said we don't get a lot of track to kick the tires on Brown and I don't like how it hamstrings our cap for next season either.

Brown isn't an impact scorer or producer and never has been. Just looking at his career stats seems like 200ft play has been oversold.

he certainly hasn't shown anything close to a Hyman work rate and I did notice Hyman all the time in Toronto.

Injury recovery should not be any excuse. Connors time to recover has been inordinate. Nobody that recovers fully takes 19mths to recover from the injury he has. That isn't even a timeline. Given that he was limping in third period (maybe related, maybe not) and that he hasn't had any jump its not looking good.

Holland specifically gave limited window for evaluation of this player. 10 games. So that after each game isn't really being premature evaluation, specifically, its related to the contractual position we're in, and that if Brown can't help we need to recognize that immediately. (not saying he can't but that he hasn't)
I've seen Connor Brown play enough to know that he's usually one of the hardest working players on the ice. Work rate isn't his problem right now, he just seems like a step behind which will take time to get back. He only got injured 12 months ago so as is usually the case with ACL tears, it takes a little more than a calendar year to fully recover especially in a sport like this that is exceedingly stressful on the legs moreso than any other sport really.

If he is struggling by Game 9 and they cut him then you're out a top 9 forward and have virtually no cap savings. Sure that gives them a cushion next offseason but it's a pretty significant blow for this season leaving a hole in the lineup that can't be filled externally because they would still have no cap space.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I have time for Brown, Kane and McLeod. Brown missed an entire year, Kane missed huge chunks and likely continues to heal from the wrist as it gets built up, and McLeod missed all of TC. Same with Ekholm.
I was watching Broberg a bit more last night, and was really impressed with how far his game has come. Still lots of improvement needed, but man, can he skate. And if he continues to realize what a great option that is, I think we'll have something there. Along with a big body and long stick, the tools are all there.
And to me, Dman are like good pitchers, you can never have enough good ones

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I've seen Connor Brown play enough to know that he's usually one of the hardest working players on the ice. Work rate isn't his problem right now, he just seems like a step behind which will take time to get back. He only got injured 12 months ago so as is usually the case with ACL tears, it takes a little more than a calendar year to fully recover especially in a sport like this that is exceedingly stressful on the legs moreso than any other sport really.

If he is struggling by Game 9 and they cut him then you're out a top 9 forward and have virtually no cap savings. Sure that gives them a cushion next offseason but it's a pretty significant blow for this season leaving a hole in the lineup that can't be filled externally because they would still have no cap space.
I’d say there is pretty much a zero chance they let him go in the ten game timeframe, it’s not enough time to evaluate him. He hasn’t been bad enough to opt out, and will likely only get better. Plus with Jackson being his former agent, pretty good odds he has faith in the player.

Reactions: brentashton

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I think you misunderstand when i say not giving up on Skinner, i mean trading him away, not sitting for a few games. I believe Campbell is earning the net.
Gonna take at least a month or two of consistent play to say he's earned the net.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Campbell was awesome last night, but I’d be tempted to give Skinner the start because he always brings his A game head to head vs his buddy Carter Hart. .952 save % in two games vs Philly last year.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Brown continues to struggle after 9 games, do we cut ties with him ? Was that the original plan if he didn't pan out ? We're talking about 3.25m here next season. That's a-lot of money for a guy that might struggle.
People are going to say no because it might piss of McDavid, etc. Well here's the thing, supposedly Foegele was off limits to trade because our leadership likes him. At some point you either try to win or you have a country club feel to the team. IF Brown flat out sucks then you absolutely send him down until he shows that he's worthy of his cap hit. If Lavoie comes in and eats his lunch then that's too damn bad. Ideally Brown starts to get better game after game and earns his pay. If not, you have to consider sending him down especially if Lavoie shows well.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Campbell was awesome last night, but I’d be tempted to give Skinner the start because he always brings his A game head to head vs his buddy Carter Hart. .952 save % in two games vs Philly last year.
Skinner has looked out of sorts. IMO he might still be reeling from the playoffs. Give him time to work on his game while Campbell tries to continue his redemption tour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad