Has your opinion changed on the Reaves deal?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
All joking aside. JR tried it. We know from a hockey standpoint it didn't work out. Love the guy. Classy as all can be. Good teammate. But hockey is about winning at the end of the day and while he brings a lot of attributes to an organization and the locker room, he doesn't help this specific team win the Cup.

Thus... HUGE props to JR for trying it, not being stubborn, and moving on from it. Huge props. That's not easy to do in the NHL. We see it so often from so many coaches/GMs.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
All joking aside. JR tried it. We know from a hockey standpoint it didn't work out. Love the guy. Classy as all can be. Good teammate. But hockey is about winning at the end of the day and while he brings a lot of attributes to an organization and the locker room, he doesn't help this specific team win the Cup.

Thus... HUGE props to JR for trying it, not being stubborn, and moving on from it. Huge props. That's not easy to do in the NHL. We see it so often from so many coaches/GMs.

Interesting angle . . . IF he hadn't tried it, he may have put the money into something else from which he couldn't extricate himself when the chance came to trade for Brassard.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

GMGM wanted him and paid for him, thats why he was traded.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

Spot on. JR is beyond caring about past mistakes. He just sits back in his La-Z-Boy, takes a sip of his prune smoothie and bends another team over.

Reactions: Ignatius

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Reaves had more value to the team than people here know or will admit. This will bare as a truth in the upcoming weeks.

Reaves was great value for us. We got extra retention on Brassard. That could be huge in the next two days/next off season.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
GMGM wanted him and paid for him, thats why he was traded.

JR said that he was a must or they would not do the trade. So Vegas really wanted him. We definitely got our valur back for Reaves in this deal. I would take $2 million cap space for dropping 20 spots in the draft and a 4th any day of the week. I would do it again for another $2 million for next year. Gives the Pens a big advantage and allows us to have a player like Brassard next year and a better chance to sign Hornqvist.

Plus Reaves did his job and our players had very little issues this year thanks to his presence. Just watch the games from last year and compare them with this year, it is night and day difference. It seemed like a nightly occurrence our stars getting gooned up. Once Pens traded for Oleksiak we did not need Reaves anymore. Bottom line is we have an enforcer that plays even more minutes and is just as effective deterrent.

All in all I am fine with what we gave up for Reaves and the return back for trading him. I would do it again just for the cap space.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Reaves had more value to the team than people here know or will admit. This will bare as a truth in the upcoming weeks.

No it won’t he had real value that is for sure because it is obvious that our stars have taken at least 90% less crap this season and that is being conservative. The reason you are wrong about the coming weeks is that now that we have Oleksiak teams still will not take the liberties.

Reaves was redundant after the deal with Dallas. You don’t need two elite enforcers. So while I agree Reaves made a big difference and anyone that does not believe that take the time to go back and watch last years games compared to this year. He served his purpose but we still have an enforcer that can play even more minutes a game and now we get $2 million cap relief this year and next! Great value to have for a team like ours.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
No it won’t he had real value that is for sure because it is obvious that our stars have taken at least 90% less crap this season and that is being conservative. The reason you are wrong about the coming weeks is that now that we have Oleksiak teams still will not take the liberties.

Reaves was redundant after the deal with Dallas. You don’t need two elite enforcers. So while I agree Reaves made a big difference and anyone that does not believe that take the time to go back and watch last years games compared to this year. He served his purpose but we still have an enforcer that can play even more minutes a game and now we get $2 million cap relief this year and next! Great value to have for a team like ours.

90% as a conservative estimate AND you put all of that on Reaves?

No enforcer has that kind of impact, you'd have to teach Mike Tyson how to skate.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Oleksiak is not an "elite enforcer".

Can Oleksiak fight? Honestly curious. I always just figured he was a big guy who was willing, and could hold his own due to his size, but that wasn't really a "heavyweight fighter" that could take on the other heavies. Kind of like a bigger version of Ian Cole.

Reactions: Nakawick

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Can Oleksiak fight? Honestly curious. I always just figured he was a big guy who was willing, and could hold his own due to his size, but that wasn't really a "heavyweight fighter" that could take on the other heavies. Kind of like a bigger version of Ian Cole.

He wins almost all of his fights, but they're all against players you'd expect him to pound on. Definitely not fighting heavyweights out there (nor should he be, tbh, since he's actually a useful player).

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I thought it was a great trade when we brought Reaves here. Unfortunately he got kind of a raw deal. It wasn’t his fault that our egomaniac coach didn’t use him properly or hardly ever play him with NHL caliber line mates.

I think over the remainder of the season you will see teams play us much differently. I’m not looking forward to two more Flyers games and one more each against the Caps and Jackets before the playoffs start.

I like Oleksiak being on this team a lot, but anyone who thinks he’s a deterrent is either delusional or just plain doesn’t understand the game.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
REAVES-KO_2nd-round_GMJR-KOs-REAVES_SLOW.gif

Enough said...

Reactions: Killahpunk

eddiefromirwin

Apr 15, 2017
On paper losing Revo which allowed us to pick up DB is a no brainer, but there is not much grit left on this team.

Would like to see Big Rig square off against Z tonight. That could be interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad