Has your opinion changed on the Reaves deal?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
All joking aside. JR tried it. We know from a hockey standpoint it didn't work out. Love the guy. Classy as all can be. Good teammate. But hockey is about winning at the end of the day and while he brings a lot of attributes to an organization and the locker room, he doesn't help this specific team win the Cup.

Thus... HUGE props to JR for trying it, not being stubborn, and moving on from it. Huge props. That's not easy to do in the NHL. We see it so often from so many coaches/GMs.

He did what JR wanted him to. Sid/Geno/Phil have been largely injury free this season (knock on tree) and I can't recall many instances of teams trying to goon it up with us.

Was that Reaves doing? Who knows. Our powerplay is a pretty huge deterrent at this point as well.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
I still think Reaves is a fine 4th line and I think he would have been perfect in a game like against the Bruins. I think we saw some of that when he played with Sheahan and had good line mates. He is fine if he is your #12 forward or can slip in as a #13 in the playoffs. The problem is that he doesnt PK and Sully wanting Rowney and/or Kun in the lineup made that 4th line absolutely useless and freaking terrible. It's hard to judge how much of an impact he had calming things down in game. GM's certainly seem to like what he does in that regard. I guess we will see what it looks like during the next few games. With Reaves and Cole gone we lost a lot of grid thats for sure

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I still think Reaves is a fine 4th line and I think he would have been perfect in a game like against the Bruins. I think we saw some of that when he played with Sheahan and had good line mates. He is fine if he is your #12 forward or can slip in as a #13 in the playoffs. The problem is that he doesnt PK and Sully wanting Rowney and/or Kun in the lineup made that 4th line absolutely useless and freaking terrible. It's hard to judge how much of an impact he had calming things down in game. GM's certainly seem to like what he does in that regard. I guess we will see what it looks like during the next few games. With Reaves and Cole gone we lost a lot of grid thats for sure

Sheary Sheahan Reaves would've been a great 4th line, but alas....

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Yeah. All in all I will miss him. I think we are now more susceptible to teams using a game plan of "bully the pens" in the playoffs and we'll just have to hope we can keep playing through it.

Good on JR too bring him in and move him out without it becoming a major asset cap problem.

Saw RR and VGK play the devil's last night and he fit seemingly well on their 4th line. Vegas, assuming youth issues don't crop up, will be a tough out in the playoffs. They have players throughout that lineup and a nice blend of speed, size, skills, and grit.

Reactions: domaug

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
He did what JR wanted him to. Sid/Geno/Phil have been largely injury free this season (knock on tree) and I can't recall many instances of teams trying to goon it up with us.

Was that Reaves doing? Who knows. Our powerplay is a pretty huge deterrent at this point as well.

Honestly, I think that is more of a deterrent than Reaves was. Teams know that the way to get into trouble against Pittsburgh is to start taking penalties. I think in some ways, teams have been actively not engaging against Pittsburgh to make sure not to give up any bad PP's.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah. All in all I will miss him. I think we are now more susceptible to teams using a game plan of "bully the pens" in the playoffs and we'll just have to hope we can keep playing through it.

Good on JR too bring him in and move him out without it becoming a major asset cap problem.

Saw RR and VGK play the devil's last night and he fit seemingly well on their 4th line. Vegas, assuming youth issues don't crop up, will be a tough out in the playoffs. They have players throughout that lineup and a nice blend of speed, size, skills, and grit.

Go watch the Kings game he blew because as he put in the interview after “that’s the way he plays the game”.

So glad we don’t have this dude on our team anymore.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Go watch the Kings game he blew because as he put in the interview after “that’s the way he plays the game”.

So glad we don’t have this dude on our team anymore.

Yep, great locker room guy, all class... but we need players in the lineup who contribute to hockey plays, not a funny battering ram. And he's more than worth that $2m in cap space that landed us Brassard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad