Speculation: Has The Habs Stanley Cup Window Officially Opened

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Personally, I don't see a single move made to help Subban or Price. Subban needs a partner. He has played with Gorges and Bouillion all year and at times Markov. Will he get a partner next year?

Price needs some help on the back end. When is that help coming?

Bergie has done a good job of adding depth. But 3rd and 4th line depth is easy. 5th, 6th dmen are easy to acquire. I want to see a push made for a top pairing dman and a 1st line centerman and/or winger. We'll see.

We all want the bold part!!, but not easy to do (and gonna cost lots and lots of $$$$$$$$...heavy cap). And we didn't pay Subban what he is owed, yet!! Eller's gonna get a raise,etc,etc....and a few more years and Price will also get a raise!!!! (not going to be cheap! gulp!).

Imo, if you (and I) want Bergevin to add a top pairing (relatively young? #2-3 dman)...Markov has to go...OR...one of Gorges-3.9/Emelin-4.5mil has to go since they make approx.4mil each.
Give Tinordi 1-2 FULL seasons and he can maybe play 18-21minutes with Subban (add more minutes to Subbie for PP time).

1st line Center: Galchenyuk (but we have to wait...have to be patient).

1st line center:
besides our own Galchenyuk...who do you think is available...UFA or trade...I'd prefer UFA so we keep all our picks/prospects.

Top pairing dman:
via UFA would be great so we don't have to give up any prospects+picks. But it would cost lots of $$$$.

Vanek:
Bergevin did get a 1st line winger...he's just not a playoff warrior, never will be, imo. Good for top 6 depth for regular season, but terrible for playoffs...always on cruise control. Yes, he has lots of skill, but I don't want him for 8 seasons...way too long (7 is also too long! 5 max from me! not gonna happen! he will want 7 or 8).

BobBobrovsky*

Depending on the quality of MB's off-season, we can be a legit. Cup contender next season. That's why beating Boston, even if we lose to the Rags. this round, was so important, imo. We have passed the "can we beat Boston when it counts" hurdle, and Boston is still the best team in the East but the gap is closing quickly.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Personally I thought their window has been open since 08, when they were the 1 seed

That team was gutted in the 09 off season after the spectacular collapse on ice, and all the off ice issues. You might remember they were swept in the playoffs by the bruins.

A new era began in 09/10. Key players from 08 like koivu, kovalev, and Higgins were shipped out, along with a coaching change. Not to mention, tanguay was not retained, along with lang.

HABS win CUPS*

even the Bruins know it's time - the prophecy is underway

8dSoiTB.jpg

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I'd like to see Beaulieu play some games with Subban next year...

So would I. But I don't think Gorges is a bad partner for Subban at all. Though ideally, I'd like to see more than just one puck mover on each pairing. It'd be nice if the transition game was more fluid, more of a five-man unit, less predictable. As it is, Emelin passes to Markov; Gorges to Subban; Weaver to Beaulieu. Those three are talented enough to get the puck up ice, but it'd be nice(r) with a few more puck movers.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That team was gutted in the 09 off season after the spectacular collapse on ice, and all the off ice issues. You might remember they were swept in the playoffs by the bruins.

A new era began in 09/10. Key players from 08 like koivu, kovalev, and Higgins were shipped out, along with a coaching change. Not to mention, tanguay was not retained, along with lang.

disagree, that team had Georges, Plekanec, Markov, and Price which were all integral part of this teams core unit. The bruins also went through many changes since 08 but many consider that is when their window started as well.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
disagree, that team had Georges, Plekanec, Markov, and Price which were all integral part of this teams core unit. The bruins also went through many changes since 08 but many consider that is when their window started as well.

Montreal's core in '08 was entirely different than now. The only core, identifying piece that remains is Markov, and possibly Plekanec. Price hadn't even had a full season as the #1 goalie then. The team's core was: Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek, Markov primarily. Then supporting cast, or up and comers, like Ryder, the Kostitsyns, Higgins, Streit, Latendresse, Hamrlik.

Out of the team's regulars, only 4 remain (Plekanec, Gorges, Markov, Price -- the last of which was splitting duties). There's Bouillon, but he left and returned, so that doesn't count. If only 4 players remain on the team, and the majority of the core is gone, it's a totally different team. Not up for debate, really.

The Bruins changed a fair bit, too, but the general culture and core remained roughly in tact. Julien was the coach. Chara was the captain. Bergeron was there. Lucic, Krejci were breaking in. That was the start of the Bruins' current core and team, and all the same pieces are there. Rask was getting a few games at that point even.

Sure, Savard, Sturm, Kobasew, Kessel, Wideman, Axelson are gone, and they were the leaders -- statistically or otherwise -- but today's core was present on that club.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'd like to see Beaulieu play some games with Subban next year...

The problem with that is that, Subban's pair usually gets pretty good opposition, you can't have two offensive guys matching up against a Crosby Ovechkin or Tavares. Plus it's good to have puck movers spread through the 3 pairs.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Montreal's core in '08 was entirely different than now. The only core, identifying piece that remains is Markov, and possibly Plekanec. Price hadn't even had a full season as the #1 goalie then. The team's core was: Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek, Markov primarily. Then supporting cast, or up and comers, like Ryder, the Kostitsyns, Higgins, Streit, Latendresse, Hamrlik.

Out of the team's regulars, only 4 remain (Plekanec, Gorges, Markov, Price -- the last of which was splitting duties). There's Bouillon, but he left and returned, so that doesn't count. If only 4 players remain on the team, and the majority of the core is gone, it's a totally different team. Not up for debate, really.

The Bruins changed a fair bit, too, but the general culture and core remained roughly in tact. Julien was the coach. Chara was the captain. Bergeron was there. Lucic, Krejci were breaking in. That was the start of the Bruins' current core and team, and all the same pieces are there. Rask was getting a few games at that point even.

Sure, Savard, Sturm, Kobasew, Kessel, Wideman, Axelson are gone, and they were the leaders -- statistically or otherwise -- but today's core was present on that club.

both teams have been pretty relevant since 08 each having the same amount of Conference title appearances.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
both teams have been pretty relevant since 08 each having the same amount of Conference title appearances.

I'm not seeing how the Habs can be considered relevant since 08?
Teams only now starting to look at our logo with some trepidation.
This off season will be critical with regards to our growth.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I'm not seeing how the Habs can be considered relevant since 08?
Teams only now starting to look at our logo with some trepidation.
This off season will be critical with regards to our growth.

the 08 team was #1 in the conference and didnt they go 8-0 against the Bruins that year in the regular season. I consider that relevant I guess bc many fans picked them to go to the cup finals that year. The habs have more players on their current roster in 08 than the Bruins do now correct? Remember, Bergeron didn't play in 08 due to concussion.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
the 08 team was #1 in the conference and didnt they go 8-0 against the Bruins that year in the regular season. I consider that relevant I guess bc many fans picked them to go to the cup finals that year. The habs have more players on their current roster in 08 than the Bruins do now correct? Remember, Bergeron didn't play in 08 due to concussion.

Beating the Bruins is nice but I look at what comes after as my true measuring stick.
i have always felt that winning a big game in the regular season is cheapened if you don't go out and follow it up with a W. The 08 team was kind of maxed out as far as potential went. We can't say that about our current roster.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Beating the Bruins is nice but I look at what comes after as my true measuring stick.
i have always felt that winning a big game in the regular season is cheapened if you don't go out and follow it up with a W. The 08 team was kind of maxed out as far as potential went. We can't say that about our current roster.

its also pretty amazing that the Bruins and Habs have meet 4 times in the playoffs since 08 going 2-2. Its been quite a rivalry.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site

No, they don't. Not even close. And that '08 Bruin club, as mentioned, was the start of their current core group together. The '08 Hab club has had several major cultural shifts. And the team has missed the playoffs since then and mostly played mediocre hockey.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
No, they don't. Not even close. And that '08 Bruin club, as mentioned, was the start of their current core group together. The '08 Hab club has had several major cultural shifts. And the team has missed the playoffs since then and mostly played mediocre hockey.

Agreed,
We also need to stop looking at the Bruins as the only barometer. The Penguins also went to two SCF's
winning one. Detroit is another team that if it gets healthy will need to be reckoned with. The styles of the CBJ's and Flyers give us problems and NYR's (Montreal Game) is currently better than the Habs. :laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So would I. But I don't think Gorges is a bad partner for Subban at all. Though ideally, I'd like to see more than just one puck mover on each pairing. It'd be nice if the transition game was more fluid, more of a five-man unit, less predictable. As it is, Emelin passes to Markov; Gorges to Subban; Weaver to Beaulieu. Those three are talented enough to get the puck up ice, but it'd be nice(r) with a few more puck movers.
I don't think Gorges is a bad partner, but I think Beaulieu and Subban could be amazing together. Beaulieu is very green and they'd face top opposition so not all year long... but it would be cool to see them paired together occasionally.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

Most people had Montreal as a bubble team going into 08. I don't know who picked them to be a finalist

What I remember about 08 is how good kovalev can be when he is motivated.

The team has gone through a big makeover since then. I cannot stress enough how much of a disaster 2009 was. Gainey's whole intent in 2009 was to completely dissect the core. The team changed. In were Gomez cammalleri, gionta, Moen... And I'm probably forgetting some..... Out were koivu, kovalev, tanguay, lang, streit etc... And that's all in one off season

The habs have had one conference final run with that cammalleri group, and they also missed the playoffs once since 08... So being relevant is also up for debate.... Most years have been one and done in the playoffs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't think Gorges is a bad partner, but I think Beaulieu and Subban could be amazing together. Beaulieu is very green and they'd face top opposition so not all year long... but it would be cool to see them paired together occasionally.

Agreed,
The most important thing next year is to get Bollie more involved in our offense.
I am convinced that if we keep him on his natural side he can become quite effective in a Hybrid top 4 role. I'm hoping he fills out over the summer and can start spelling Markov on our Top 2 units of 5.
The idea being that come PO next year he can take on more minutes.
Our huge decisions on D revolve around these 3 players. Markov/Emelin/Gorges.
I would absolutely love to see how Emelin performs full time on LD.
If we keep all three I think i would prefer Josh playing RD with Markov.
Is it my imagination or did Josh not play some of his best hockey with Markov a couple of seasons ago?
Needless to say my greatest wish would be for a natural Top 4 RD. The left side would beome mighty crowded...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad