Speculation: Has The Habs Stanley Cup Window Officially Opened

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Still to early.

It only give very good experience to our young core for when our window will be wide open.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
This window opens as soon as you obtain a spot in the playoffs. At that point, anything can happen. This has been my philosophy on the topic for many years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Do recent events lead anyone to believe our window is now open?
If so for how long.
One series away from the finals... how could it not be? Nice thing is though, we're still a team on the rise.

The Vanek move was a serious game changer. If we can re-sign him, we should be a pretty strong team going forward for at least the next few seasons.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
After beating the President's Cup winners, I'd say it's wide open. This team is on a roll and will only get better. We should get by the Rangers if we play with the same determination. Once in the final, all bets are off.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Still to early.

It only give very good experience to our young core for when our window will be wide open.

I agree. Our window is probably 2 years away, give or take.

As Pierre Mcguire just said on 690, the Rangers are a better team than people think. Taking care of the business at hand will be a handful as it is -- reading too much into the Bruin victory is just as misleading as underestimating the Rangers. This is another thread we don't need.

Jinx factor now at 99999.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This window opens as soon as you obtain a spot in the playoffs. At that point, anything can happen. This has been my philosophy on the topic for many years.

I Guess the Kings proved that theory to some extent but they were plenty hot coming down the stretch that year and had all the pieces.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Price entering his prime, Subban continuing to get better, a young core continuing to come up and get experience, like Beaulieu, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, etc., I don't see why not.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
No, but we have a shot at the finals anyway...

I think somebody else's figure of being two years away sounds right on the money to me. The time for Galchenyuk to come into his own, pretty much.

PricePkPatch*

This year's performance is a promise of years to come.

Long-term will be missing Gionta, Markov, Briere, Bourque, Weaver... But we discovered Weise, Eller, Desharnais..

Also, our pro scouting has really shined recently.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

As Pierre Mcguire just said on 690, the Rangers are a better team than people think. Taking care of the business at hand will be a handful as it is -- reading too much into the Bruin victory is just as misleading as underestimating the Rangers. This is another thread we don't need.

McGuire says a lot of things these days.
This speculation is valid and I'm really sorry you don't need it.
The window is a reality in this NHL and its always good to know how far out you truly are.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I have a theory that any team that wins the Stanley Cup needs at least one future Hall of Famer. Carolina Hurricanes are the only team I can think of who've won a Stanley Cup without a Hall of Famer.

The question is: are there any future Hall of Famers currently playing for the Montreal Canadiens?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
If the question is whether the habs have entered the perennial Stanley cup contender window, I have to say that they are still a notch below the elite group, but good enough to give those elite teams a big run, and possibly an upset.

The habs are close though. Just need to see a bit more next year from certain players to see if these playoff performances are not one-offs. Also, the summer has some big decisions to be made which will possibly change the landscape of this team.

So the answer is no, but close. And wait for the summer moves, then let's see.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I have a theory that any team that wins the Stanley Cup needs at least one future Hall of Famer. Carolina Hurricanes are the only team I can think of who've won a Stanley Cup without a Hall of Famer.

The question is: are there any future Hall of Famers currently playing for the Montreal Canadiens?

Wow,
So hard to know for sure given the youth of the potential candidates.
Maybe a Hall of Fame type year can suffice for now :laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If the question is whether the habs have entered the perennial Stanley cup contender window, I have to say that they are still a notch below the elite group, but good enough to give those elite teams a big run, and possibly an upset.

The habs are close though. Just need to see a bit more next year from certain players to see if these playoff performances are not one-offs. Also, the summer has some big decisions to be made which will possibly change the landscape of this team.

So the answer is no, but close. And wait for the summer moves, then let's see.

I concur,
How to get from here to there is the tricky part.
Management likely having to take some unpopular decisions.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
McGuire says a lot of things these days.
This speculation is valid and I'm really sorry you don't need it.
The window is a reality in this NHL and its always good to know how far out you truly are.

We've had a lot of threads prior to the playoffs, looking into this.

If a win on a 7th game is what it takes to trigger threads of this nature, more power to you. I'm sorry that you feel the need to use a magnifying glass at such an inopportune moment.

We're smack in the middle of a mostly unexpected outcome. I just like the idea of savoring it for what it is -- we were one game away from throwing a cold shower on that alleged "window" theory.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec

I see your point, but winning the cup in itself helps people get into the HOF. So you don't really know if you've got that level of star until it happens. Not all HOFers have won it (Dionne, for exemple) but most have I would think.

If they'd win the cup this year, Subban and Price would both get this very important piece of hardware they'd need, on top of the olympic and WJC golds...

Then it's all about maintaining their high level regular season play for a decade or so, win a few individual awards, a couple more gold medals, a couple all-star team nominations and they'd be in the conversation... PK especially, he's got that "it" factor in terms of charisma and personality you know, but yeah I see what you mean.

Also, if they play here their entire careers it will help them a lot. Lots of visibility.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I think the opportunity for the Finals is here. The Rangers have played both their series to the limit while the Habs were resting about 10 consecutive days on their couch. I think the Rangers' energy may be a very low compared to the Habs. The Habs have to be smart about it and be relentless right at the start at home so that the Rangers feel it is a hopeless road.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Canucks fan here, but have always been a fan of PK Subban and Carey Price. Congrats on the win, you guys are playing some pretty exciting hockey now.

Cheering you guys on to win it all this year.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada

If Subban has a solid career path reasonably reflective of what he's already achieved, then yes, he's a future Hall of Famer. I have little doubt of that.

You could make speculative cases for two or three other current Habs, but it's not even that speculative in Subban's case. He just has to have the sort of career path that people would expect of someone of his talent level that's already achieved what he has.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If Subban has a solid career path reasonably reflective of what he's already achieved, then yes, he's a future Hall of Famer. I have little doubt of that.

You could make speculative cases for two or three other current Habs, but it's not even that speculative in Subban's case. He just has to have the sort of career path that people would expect of someone of his talent level that's already achieved what he has.

Great Point on PK and even Carey,
Hall of Fame type seasons make ample sense.
I'm trying to determine what kind of core group truly denotes an actual window.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Do recent events lead anyone to believe our window is now open?
If so for how long.

They can as a longshot a la Carolina Hurricanes or Boston in 2011(they were not seen as a top 3-4 team at the time, Habs came within inches of knocking them out).

I think logically the window opens when Galchenyuk Beaulieu Tinordi(plus maybe others) start their prime in 15-16.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I'm scared the Habs lose their focus because a Boston match up was so emotional and big. I hope they don't deflate.
That being said, this Habs team seem to be on a serious mission, so I'm sure they'll be focused.

As for the window, I disagree. It's open. When you have PK and Price playing like they have, with our depth, I don't see how our window isn't open.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
Great Point on PK and even Carey,
Hall of Fame type seasons make ample sense.
I'm trying to determine what kind of core group truly denotes an actual window.

Well, we're probably two or three seasons away from being considered a "Stanley Cup Contender" up there with the likes of the Blackhawks and the Kings.

One thing we're missing, that most Stanley Cup winners have, is an elite 1st Line Center. Here is where Chucky's development is key. If and when he becomes an elite center, that's when our window should get wide open.

Of course, if we pull off a miracle this year, then obviously that means the window is open. The reigning Cup champions are always at least in the conversation going into the next season.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They can as a longshot a la Carolina Hurricanes or Boston in 2011(they were not seen as a top 3-4 team at the time, Habs came within inches of knocking them out).

I think logically the window opens when Galchenyuk Beaulieu Tinordi(plus maybe others) start their prime in 15-16.

Who are your core guys at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad