Speculation: Has The Habs Stanley Cup Window Officially Opened

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Budaj wasn't particularly good in relief in game 1. I think that's what cost him game 2.

As for the future, Budaj was never part of our window, he's always been a luxury not a core piece. I don't think anything's changed in that regard.

Definitely not a core piece, however, when a team's best player is their goalie, I figure the back-up should be better than Budaj. I don't see how Budaj is a luxury, he's merely an average goalie whose main strength is that of a cheerleader in the dressing room and a hard worker in practises. He's not someone who can take you through a rough patch.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Definitely not a core piece, however, when a team's best player is their goalie, I figure the back-up should be better than Budaj. I don't see how Budaj is a luxury, he's merely an average goalie whose main strength is that of a cheerleader in the dressing room and a hard worker in practises. He's not someone who can take you through a rough patch.

Above average goalies don't usually sign to be #2 behind Price.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Above average goalies don't usually sign to be #2 behind Price.

You don't need to sign them. You can groom them within your system. Not every goalie you develop is going to be a full-fledged superstar.

You can even sign them as international free agents, like LAK has done rather successfully.

When you only have 30 goalie starter slots to fill, you can certainly find someone who will gladly take the job even if technically, they may have starter skills.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
They won because they had lots of talented players. What those players were paid had nothing to do with it.

But the point is they were making huge amounts of money and were "core" players, not players that the team was built around. The same would apply to us re-signing Vanek, he'd be part of the core, not the guy we built around.

The goal is to increase the amount of talent we have. There are 3 ways to do that drafting, trades, signings. Trades you pay with talent so you are not getting ahead unless you rip someone off. Drafting is a crapshoot unless you have high picks and don't have a short term impact. Signings only cost money, so if you have the cap space then it doesn't matter if you overpay or not.

We also exist in the cap era so a guy getting 10% of your cap has to be a core piece, all things being equal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We also exist in the cap era so a guy getting 10% of your cap has to be a core piece, all things being equal.

We also live in an era where goalies are not well-protected by NHL rules. Teams may have to start rethinking how they mine, develop and stock them.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I see it as the complete opposite. If you have Price in nets for 70 games a season the backup doesn't really matter much.

Look at the backups for other elite goaltenders (Rask, Lundqvist, Rinne, Quick). They are all youngish and cheap, because when you have a stud in nets you don't need an established guy as the backup.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
I see it as the complete opposite. If you have Price in nets for 70 games a season the backup doesn't really matter much.

Look at the backups for other elite goaltenders (Rask, Lundqvist, Rinne, Quick). They are all youngish and cheap, because when you have a stud in nets you don't need an established guy as the backup.

Rask's, Lundqvist's and Quick's backups are good. Our backup isn't.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Maybe you and I have a different definition of build around. But for me it's not the same as core. You build around franchise players like Subban, Price, maybe Galchenyuk. Whereas core players would include guys like Plekanec. Vanek would be a core player but not someone you build around.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
This team has overachieved, the window won't be open until Chucky becomes the no.1C (or we trade for one).

What these PO's have shown us is that Price & Subban can absolutely lead this team to a Championship.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
This team has overachieved, the window won't be open until Chucky becomes the no.1C (or we trade for one).

What these PO's have shown us is that Price & Subban can absolutely lead this team to a Championship.

I agree to a certain extent. I don't think we're ready until Chucky is a centre, whether it be 1, 2, 3. I also think that we won't be true contenders until Tinordi and Beaulieu are regulars on the d-corps, a la Hamilton and Krug. I do think that these playoffs have solidified a lot of guys as part of the core of this roster: Obvious picks are Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Subban, Price. Eller has really showed his value to this organization, I truly see him as an eventual replacement to Pleky. Beaulieu's skating and offensive flair is unbelievable, and the few shifts he had with PK yesterday really had me hopeful for the future. DD to me has proved his earth, with Chucky and Eller down the middle, I don't mind DD either. I think were closer than some people think, but I do believe our d needs more work than our forwards. Not enough true puck movers or mobile guys.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
Rask's, Lundqvist's and Quick's backups are good. Our backup isn't.

Our backup does what a backup is expected to do. He'll make the saves he needs to make, he won't start playing like a #1 because he isn't one. The only teams that have above average backups are the teams with youngsters put in that position who will eventually become number one goaltenders: Gibson in Anaheim, Jones to a certain extent, even Reimer. Budaj is a great backup, he's a great teammate and he accepts his role. The last thing we need in this city is another goaltending controversy-the Halak/Price saga was enough for a lifetime.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Can you?

This is what you said: "Continue to build around Price, Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, and Bournival. The jury is still out on Eller, as he may find a place in our core if he has a bounce back year next season. "

Nowhere here did you say that we should build around Eller. So basically, you think we should build around Bournival but think the jury's still out on Eller. OK.

LOL :laugh:

It's right there!! Ya know, in the bolded part? What do you think being a core player means? It means that you're a player that the team can be shaped around. The sentence clearly states that Eller could be a good piece of the core, if he has a good season next year. Regular season Eller = not core material, Playoff Eller = core material. That's exactly what the sentence says. Not sure how else I can lay this out.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay

I don't think we've overachieved. 2010 was an overachievement. Halak played like a god, and Cammalleri was on a path to the Conn Smythe. Neither have been able to reproduce the way they elevated their games during those series (While I don't doubt that Cammy could still be a good playoff performer on a good team, I doubt Halak will ever come close to his level during that short period). Yeah, there were a few other good contributors, but that 2010 team was a so-so team who pulled a rabbit out of a hat.

This year, you've got Bourque and Briere who've played better than they have all year, but overall, this is just a really solid team. Carey is a world-class goalie and he's playing like one. PK is a Norris winner, and he's playing like one. You have guys like Vanek, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Gallagher who are all excellent forwards producing well. Aside from Bouillon and Murray, our defence is solid, and even at that, Beaulieu has stepped up to take a big role.

It definitely looks like the window is open, but I do think that this whole streak without injuries (until Price) was a little... lucky. Without a top guy like Vanek (or another playmaking FA forward), I think that this team would need to go injury-less for the entire playoffs to reach this point, or farther next year. And that's a lot to ask. But whatever happens in these next few games, the future definitely looks good for the Montreal Canadiens.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I think we're a couple defensemen (Tinner and Beaulieu) and a good center with high potential (Galchenyuk) away from being regular contenders. I'd say give those 3 guys a couple years or so and our window will be officially opened.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I think we're a couple defensemen (Tinner and Beaulieu) and a good center with high potential (Galchenyuk) away from being regular contenders. I'd say give those 3 guys a couple years or so and our window will be officially opened.

I think Montreal needs another core forward offensively, but agreed.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I agree with your premise. You don't need an established guy. Just a talented guy who is cheap.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
The Cup window is now officially open, and as long as PK Subban and Price are healthy...the sky is the limit.

Sky is the limit, if...:
as long as Bergevin keeps making great moves to help Subban, Price, and the rest of the team...we should always be among the best in our Conference, imo.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Basically. The team will not be a contender until they get that elusive 1st line center (could be Galchenyuk) and fix the back end. Right now they have 2 top 2 pairing dmen in PK and Markov. Markov's a UFA.

Wish we tanked the last 2 years and drafted some top end players. IMO, that's the easiest way to rebuild this team. I'd rather do that than hover around mediocrity and overpay for UFAs.

I think the team is further away than people think. But there are some very nice pieces in Price, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, etc. Wish we went more with the kids as they have been carrying the team for 2 years now. Vets have been unreliable for the most part. Taking up space.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
The Cup window is now officially open, and as long as PK Subban and Price are healthy...the sky is the limit.

Sky is the limit, if...:
as long as Bergevin keeps making great moves to help Subban, Price, and the rest of the team...we should always be among the best in our Conference, imo.

Personally, I don't see a single move made to help Subban or Price. Subban needs a partner. He has played with Gorges and Bouillion all year and at times Markov. Will he get a partner next year?

Price needs some help on the back end. When is that help coming?

Bergie has done a good job of adding depth. But 3rd and 4th line depth is easy. 5th, 6th dmen are easy to acquire. I want to see a push made for a top pairing dman and a 1st line centerman and/or winger. We'll see.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Personally, I don't see a single move made to help Subban or Price. Subban needs a partner. He has played with Gorges and Bouillion all year and at times Markov. Will he get a partner next year?

Price needs some help on the back end. When is that help coming?

Bergie has done a good job of adding depth. But 3rd and 4th line depth is easy. 5th, 6th dmen are easy to acquire. I want to see a push made for a top pairing dman and a 1st line centerman and/or winger. We'll see.

What's wrong with Gorges as a partner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad