Has Scheifele proven he is better than Couturier now?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's gonna be another 2-3 years before we definitively know which one of Zibenajad, Strome, Scheifele and Couturier was the best player but I think all these players look like legit NHL'ers which is the best you can hope for as a team.

On a sidenote, that 2011 draft looks like a really good draft for the NHL in hindsight. Every single one of the top 10 picks is playing in the NHL and making meaningful contributions.

I agree, it could be one of the best top 10's in quite some time.

The only player I'd say is dissapointing is Larsen and even then he's still young and has to.e to turn it around.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is where I disagree. Consensus is media projections and fan speculation based on media projections. I'd much rather the Jets rely on their scouts and their order of ranking that they spend millions of dollars on rather then something you or I could print off free of charge on draft day.

Agreed, if they keep hitting on their first picks than we shouldn't care one bit if they go a bit against the grade.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Of course nothing is proven until several more years have passed. Right now, IMO they are about equal with Scheifele scoring a few more points and Coots playing lots of good two-way minutes. Scheif is getting better and has eased some concerns. But Coots has already provided the Flyers two good years.

The question remains whether Scheif was a better pick at draft time - based on all indications. I think I would take Scheifele head to head TODAY for Winnipeg. But I would hope that we don't make a habit of bypassing consensus higher rated players in the draft.

Why? It's working out just fine for us so far.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, remember how people were saying it was a mistake for the Jets to pass on Forsberg for Trouba? That doesn't seem like such an erroneous mistake right now though.

Not all of us ;)

I would have been ok with Forsberg at the time but was thrilled when Trouba fell to us....the howling wasn't as bad on our board as it was for the Schiefele choice because there was a vocal group that jumped in to enthusiastically defend Trouba. I was dissapointed when Lindholm was picked because I started liking him during draft week and assumed Jacob wouldn't fall to #9. My 3rd choice was Faksa and he doesn't seem to be developing very well yet.

Morrissey was trolled really hard on draft day as well........we have a pretty consensus"centric" fan base.

Reasons for Coots love was that he was #1 prospect for some time and I think our posters were thrilled he and Hamilton had fallen to us at 7

Forsberg seemed to always be concensus top 3 and people were thrilled he fell to us at 9

With Morrissey I believe Domi was the high profile crowd fan favorite and when he went our crowd seemed disapointed and mad at the world and Morrissey was pretty unknown to most.

But in all three of these cases I will maintain that the main reason our board and Jets fans reacted badly was TSN's constant "that's off the board" reaction to our picks.

My guess is with how this season is shaping up for Schiefele and Trouba and how slick the Morrissey pick appears to be our scouting staff and Chevy have earned some street cred now and that most of our fans will probably have a bit more faith if our first round pick bucks the trend this spring.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
This is where I disagree. Consensus is media projections and fan speculation based on media projections. I'd much rather the Jets rely on their scouts and their order of ranking that they spend millions of dollars on rather then something you or I could print off free of charge on draft day.

Agreed. Why even have a scouting department, and spend all the time and energy to identify traits you want to look for, spend all the time to travel, meet and discuss as a staff, etc, if it's so easy to pick up a "consensus" list on draft day? Never mind the fact that no two groups can even agree on the same rankings to begin with.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I am happy as long as the Jets accumulate good players.

More good players = more wins :)

Also, have to be honest in my own assessments prior to the draft: I was very nervous of Scheifele at the time, okay on Trouba and stoked on Morrissey (not a Zadarov fan and had feeling going for defensemen, so was gunning for Pulock or Morrissey).

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I am happy as long as the Jets accumulate good players.

More good players = more wins :)

Also, have to be honest in my own assessments prior to the draft: I was very nervous of Scheifele at the time, okay on Trouba and stoked on Morrissey (not a Zadarov fan and had feeling going for defensemen, so was gunning for Pulock or Morrissey).

Nervous is Yhe perfect word to desvrine y feelings about the chicks pick. With a guy like coota available, you could take him, have him bust, and no one would blame you. With the a chief me pick he HAD to succeed or it was all on Chevy. Looks good now though.

I was a little cold on troobs until his breakout year. Was indifferent to Morrissey until after doing reading. After reading up on Morrissey I loved the pick, probably more the. The other two prior.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Nervous is Yhe perfect word to desvrine y feelings about the chicks pick. With a guy like coota available, you could take him, have him bust, and no one would blame you. With the a chief me pick he HAD to succeed or it was all on Chevy. Looks good now though.

I was a little cold on troobs until his breakout year. Was indifferent to Morrissey until after doing reading. After reading up on Morrissey I loved the pick, probably more the. The other two prior.

Slightly relevant...

GRINDPHONE!

I agree that Coutts was a "hard to blame ya" pick and Schief was the opposite, but, I'm glad we took the risk.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Yeah, remember how people were saying it was a mistake for the Jets to pass on Forsberg for Trouba? That doesn't seem like such an erroneous mistake right now though.

At that time the conventional wisdom was that we need forwards way more than defensemen and Forsberg was widely considered to be the 2nd best forward available at the draft after Yakupov (Grigorenko was was rated higher for most of the year until his stock collapsed couple of months before the draft). I'll be honest I was upset about the pick as I wanted Forsberg, I was okay with the Scheifele pick because the difference is that Couturier's stock slowly and steadily fell throughout his pre-draft year due to well publicized concerns (if his offensive game was going to work in the NHL) whereas with Forsberg he started falling on draft day for no apparent reason and fell to us.

I was ok with the Morrissey pick as there was no one left that I was too excited about and I liked TNSE going for a high reward, skill kinda player rather than the "character and size" mantra repeated by some. I remember being more upset about Jets not drafting players from the QMJHL and Europe that year until they drafted Kostalek and Karlstrom

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The one guy I've been drawn to picked near Morrissey is Mantha. That dude looks like a sure fire top six winger.

Hopefully Petan and Morrissey get to play even bigger leading roles on Canada's WJHC team next holiday season.

Scheifele and Couturier are both pretty valuable. I'd say they're pretty similar trajectory at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad