Has Scheifele proven he is better than Couturier now?

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
Considering that Scheifele has a good run lately in putting up numbers, do you think in your opinion that he is now considered a better player than Couturier? Right now, Scheifele has 24 pts and Couturier has 20 pts (although Scheif has played slightly more games).

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm happy. I don't think the sample size is anywhere near large enough to be definitive about it, but I'm definitely far more confident in that pick than I was two years ago. Kid's got moves and he's only getting better.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Considering that Scheifele has a good run lately in putting up numbers, do you think in your opinion that he is now considered a better player than Couturier? Right now, Scheifele has 24 pts and Couturier has 20 pts (although Scheif has played slightly more games).

Nah, don't want to get into that. Ask us in...5 years. :) Need more data.

But safe to say people are stressing less about the pick.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg

If I had to win 1 game tomorrow, I'm not sure who I'd take.

If I had to win a cup in 3 years I'd take #55

Could be very wrong, though, still.

jetkarma*

I would not reverse the picks .

55 is going to be significantly better in the future than he is now.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

This is kind of a messy question altogether. And actually you've asked two. Has Scheifele proven he's better at hockey than Couturier? How about has Scheifele proven he's better at hockey than a fried egg? What constitutes proof? And what aspect of hockey? They don't exactly play the same game, the same position, the same quality of opposition.

The bolded part really annoys me because I'm an English teacher. :shakehead My giant complainy posts are full of grammatical mistakes and typos (and fake words like complainy), but what you said and what you mean are two hilariously different things. You asked whether or not I think that my opinion is that other people think Scheifele is better than Couturier.

I'm pretty sure that my opinion is that other people won't agree one way or the other. But then again, my opinion might also, and as well be something else too. Anybody see what I did there?

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
Scheifele is much better than I anticipated. very happy that Chevy identified Scheifele as the talent to invest in. Scheifs is productive with Kane, not the easiest player to create an actual play with. IMO higher offence ceiling than Couts.

There has been linear development to his game thru the season. Kudos to Chevy for drafting Scheifele and investing in him. Kudos to Scheifs for earning every accolade he has received so far.

Look forward to a Winnipeg-Philly SCF one day to answer this question.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Mark is looking better and better and is such a dangerous player offensivley now. Lets just say he was a heck of a draft pick that looked crazy at the time but has worked out well. Not sure this battle of the prospects is anywhere near over yet though.

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Schiefele is in on so many scoring chances it's crazy. I don't think it is out of the realm for him to be an 80 point guy in his prime (with linemates who can finish off his sweet feeds), and I think he'll be a comfortable 60 point guy.

I wonder if he'll be the bridge between Kane and Wheeler to give us a truly dominant scoring line. Kane and Wheeler usually don't play that well together, but I don't think we've seen them with Schiefele, and they've both played well with him.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I would not reverse the picks .

55 is going to be significantly better in the future than he is now.

55 for sure. Just like it took him a year or two to really excel in the OHL, can't wait to see this guy in a couple years. Used to be a Jean Beliveau fan in my youth; thats what his upside is.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Schiefele is in on so many scoring chances it's crazy. I don't think it is out of the realm for him to be an 80 point guy in his prime (with linemates who can finish off his sweet feeds), and I think he'll be a comfortable 60 point guy.

I wonder if he'll be the bridge between Kane and Wheeler to give us a truly dominant scoring line. Kane and Wheeler usually don't play that well together, but I don't think we've seen them with Schiefele, and they've both played well with him.
They didn't play together often, but Wheeler and Kane dominated together in year one.

They struggled with Olli in year two.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
This is kind of a messy question altogether. And actually you've asked two. Has Scheifele proven he's better at hockey than Couturier? How about has Scheifele proven he's better at hockey than a fried egg? What constitutes proof? And what aspect of hockey? They don't exactly play the same game, the same position, the same quality of opposition.

The bolded part really annoys me because I'm an English teacher. :shakehead My giant complainy posts are full of grammatical mistakes and typos (and fake words like complainy), but what you said and what you mean are two hilariously different things. You asked whether or not I think that my opinion is that other people think Scheifele is better than Couturier.

I'm pretty sure that my opinion is that other people won't agree one way or the other. But then again, my opinion might also, and as well be something else too. Anybody see what I did there?

I hated english class.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

Jeeesh where have you been when I was looking for an editor/teacher to correct my English apprentice letter and CV yesterday in the off-topic thread? :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I don't know if Scheifele is better right now, but its looking pretty likely he will be more of a point producer which is a big need for us. If there was a re-draft I'd want Chevy to take Scheifele over Couts.

The Jury is still out, but I believe Scheifele is demonstrating the potential of a true #1 center and a PPG offensive catalyst.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I don't know if Scheifele is better right now, but its looking pretty likely he will be more of a point producer which is a big need for us. If there was a re-draft I'd want Chevy to take Scheifele over Couts.

The Jury is still out, but I believe Scheifele is demonstrating the potential of a true #1 center and a PPG offensive catalyst.

Yep - too early to say definitively, IMHO. That said: I'm very happy with Scheifele's progression, and he's certainly ahead on boxcar stats. We need scoring. Added to that, Scheifele has improved his fancy stats quite a bit in the last couple of months, which bodes really well regarding facing tougher match ups on a nightly basis.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I hated english class.

Haha, I bet I hate it more than my students. Noisy little buggers.

Jeeesh where have you been when I was looking for an editor/teacher to correct my English apprentice letter and CV yesterday in the off-topic thread? :laugh:

I was on-topic all day yesterday, sorry. Also, I was in China. But if it comes up again, you can PM me and I'll give it a look.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Haha, I bet I hate it more than my students. Noisy little buggers.

I was on-topic all day yesterday, sorry. Also, I was in China. But if it comes up again, you can PM me and I'll give it a look.

Don't worry, I found other people. As my english is not quite a shakespeare novel, it doesn't necessarily need to be an english teacher ;)

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I think they are both good players with different styles who will enjoy good careers.

Having said that, if I had to pick today, it would be #55.

If nothing else, Schiefle's play of late has had the effect of shutting the yappers of all those whiners and complainers who despised this draft pick from the very beginning...

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I don't get why he has to prove anything. Both are really good players. Both do different things on the ice. Both were drafted side by side. It is just at the point where it really doesn't matter anymore and discussing it ad nauseam seems pointless

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

I'm unsure which of the two is the better player; this poster sure seemed to have a definitive opinion regarding the matter though...
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=75201401&postcount=129

Oop. :lol:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad