Has Nathan MacKinnon finally got back to his rookie form?

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
I hope not. That would mean a regression for him compared to even last year.

It's pretty easy to tell when someone doesn't watch the Avs play at all. This is a prime example of it. Mackinnon's best year as an Av was last year when he literally carried the team almost solely on his back for 90% of the season. Without him and Rantanen the Avs wouldn't have cracked 15 Wins last year.

So far this year he's looking poised for a massive breakout season. He and Rantanen are building on the chemistry they had down the stretch last year, and Gabe Landeskog has added a new physical element to that line that makes them even more dangerous.
Carried the team to what? A last place finish? He didn't carry anything. You can say he was the best player on the worst team in the league but how can you say he carried them when the season amounted to nothing?

Reactions: Benedict Kovalchuk

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Carried the team to what? A last place finish? He didn't carry anything. You can say he was the best player on the worst team in the league but how can you say he carried them when the season amounted to nothing?

as someone with the highest point percentage of their team besides mcdavid in the nhl, i think it is actually obvious what that means.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
as someone with the highest point percentage of their team besides mcdavid in the nhl, i think it is actually obvious what that means.

It was actually the gap over the 2nd leading scorer on his team where only McDavid bested MacK last season. In point percentage he was near the top, between Seguin & Tarasenko, but not right in 2nd.

OccasionalPoster

Nov 18, 2017
Really hope he sustains this - his entertaining style can only help the league. I wonder what has clicked all of a sudden? Is it him taking ownership of the team knowing that Duchene was leaving and he is strictly the go-to guy now?

Reactions: AvsGuy and 99664987

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Really hope he sustains this - his entertaining style can only help the league. I wonder what has clicked all of a sudden? Is it him taking ownership of the team knowing that Duchene was leaving and he is strictly the go-to guy now?
its him and rantanen, their combo is incredible. both very talented dangerous players who work very well together. their passing plays are incredible.

Reactions: OccasionalPoster

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
MacKinnon was good last year as well. He had 53 points on a team where the second highest scorer had 41 points.

He's better this year, but everyone else is also. That's why Avs are winning more and scoring more goals.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519

Not sure, but to me he was always a potential 70-85 point player for the Avs, he has showed flashes but has not been able to sustain it.

I hope this is his breakout season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

TBH he's been this guy for two seasons but last year the avs were historically inept around him despite getting to play with rookie Rantanen (whom he has incredibly chemistry with); and the year before he injured his hand/wrist ~35 games in, which threw off his shot for the rest of the season which in turn left the 20yo MacKinnon extremely frustrated.

This season it's just all clicking so far and Bednar is letting that stacked top line stick together because they are just dominating. Hopefully they can keep it going all year long, cause they are so much fun to watch.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
His vision is starting to catch up with his physical traits. Hes making passes ive never seen him make. Mack has basically been a human highlight reel the last couple of weeks

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
This guy is a must-watch. I turned away from my Leafs game to catch the Avs game (now there’s something I never thought I’d say) and have not been disappointed. MacKinnon is not only insanely skilled, smart, and fast; he’s refreshingly aggressive and energetic in his play style, when he’s on his game. I seriously believe that there is no better player right now, even with acknowledging how well Gaudreau, Schenn, and a few others have been playing. I hope he keeps rolling.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
No other player in the league has more points then Mack since October 28th(He and Schenn are tied at 20 a piece).

He's a really good player. And while all the other elite young stars in the league are signing 9,10,11 million dollar contracts, we've got Mack for 6.3M for the next 6 years.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
No other player in the league has more points then Mack since October 28th(He and Schenn are tied at 20 a piece).

He's a really good player. And while all the other elite young stars in the league are signing 9,10,11 million dollar contracts, we've got Mack for 6.3M for the next 6 years.
That’s just ridiculous. How would you describe Colorado’s cap situation, in general? I don’t know much about it, except that I have a feeling that it’s fairly open and that they won’t have many issues keeping all their young talent and signing good veterans to augment them. Am I incorrect?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That’s just ridiculous. How would you describe Colorado’s cap situation, in general? I don’t know much about it, except that I have a feeling that it’s fairly open and that they won’t have many issues keeping all their young talent and signing good veterans to augment them. Am I incorrect?

We're actually in a situation where it looks like a real possibility that we have to go and sped 4-5M+ on a player next summer just to reach the cap floor.

Mack is signed for 5.5 more years at 6.3M. Erik Johnson is under contract for 5.5 years at 6M. Landeskog has 3.5 more years 5.5M.

And all of our rookies(Rantanen, Compher, Kerfoot, Kamenev, Lindholm, etc) are still on ELCs through this year and next year.

So yeah. A tonne of cap space. Quite frankly it's actually a potential problem(Of the best possible variety) next year as we have 11 NHL quality forwards(And 2 RFA's in Nieto/Compher), 6 NHL Dmen(And RFA Bigras), and a starting goalie under contract for all of 49M in salary.

It's actually a conversation us Avs fans have been having over the last few days about how the team will get to the floor at least for next year. Because we dont really want to be going out and overpaying for a free agent unless it's one we think can come in and be useful for 6-7 years(JVR and the highly unlikely Tavares the two brought up most here), so we have to get more creative and perhaps trade for a teams bad contract in order to reach the floor.

Reactions: 99664987

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

We’ve got EJ locked up until 23 which could be bad down the road but is fine now. We’ve got Wilson making $4m until 19 and Soderberg making $4.75m until 20. And that’s it for potential bad contracts. We’ve got $8m in cap space now and a projected $26m this offseason with no big names needing to be signed.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
We're actually in a situation where it looks like a real possibility that we have to go and sped 4-5M+ on a player next summer just to reach the cap floor.

Mack is signed for 5.5 more years at 6.3M. Erik Johnson is under contract for 5.5 years at 6M. Landeskog has 3.5 more years 5.5M.

And all of our rookies(Rantanen, Compher, Kerfoot, Kamenev, Lindholm, etc) are still on ELCs through this year and next year.

So yeah. A tonne of cap space. Quite frankly it's actually a potential problem(Of the best possible variety) next year as we have 11 NHL quality forwards(And 2 RFA's in Nieto/Compher), 6 NHL Dmen(And RFA Bigras), and a starting goalie under contract for all of 49M in salary.

It's actually a conversation us Avs fans have been having over the last few days about how the team will get to the floor at least for next year. Because we dont really want to be going out and overpaying for a free agent unless it's one we think can come in and be useful for 6-7 years(JVR and the highly unlikely Tavares the two brought up most here), so we have to get more creative and perhaps trade for a teams bad contract in order to reach the floor.
That’s not fair. :D

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

Trading Duchene opened up 6 million in space and most of our core is already locked up. Sakic doesn't hand out massive contracts out to UFAs like candy and has seemed to learn not to throw money at past-their-prime veterans either.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Should be a PPG guy in his prime and I wouldn’t be surprised if he hit 100 points once/twice in his career.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
So, what I’m getting is:

You have a superstar, young 1C.
Your cap situation is pretty much optimal.
Your core is young and still growing.
You seem to have stolen an absolute stud in Girard.
You have a boatload of future draft picks.
Your prospect pool is very strong and diverse and has great depth on top of considerable talent (Jost, Makar, Meloche, Timmins, off the top of my head).
And you have a winning record and are currently developing a very hot streak following the trading of one of your top players, while playing exciting hockey.

That’s it, where do I sign up to be an Avalanche fan.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That’s not fair. :D

Yeah. Honestly with the Avs playing the way they are right now and especially Mackinnon/Rantanen on the verge of breaking out massively(Well Mackinnon already I'd say), it's hard not to get pretty excited when you look at the future for this team. Gotta try and keep expectations in check as best as one can. But you look at that cap space, you look at the haul of prospects/young NHL players we have, and then you think about the fact we have 2 1st's, and 2 2nd's in this years draft... The future is looking very bright after one of the darkest seasons any NHL team has ever went through last year.

Joe Sakic deserves a tonne, and I mean a tonne of credit for taking the situation this team was headed into 1 year ago, and turning it into what it is right now.

So, what I’m getting is:

Your cap situation is pretty much optimal.
Your core is young and still growing.
You seem to have stolen an absolute stud in Girard.
You have a boatload of future draft picks.
Your prospect pool is very strong and diverse and has great depth on top of considerable talent (Jost, Makar, Meloche, Timmins, off the top of my head).
And you have a winning record and are currently developing a very hot streak following the trading of one of your top players, while playing exciting hockey.

That’s it, where do I sign up to be an Avalanche fan.

Avs board is a very welcoming place :laugh:

That said, if you're a Leafs fan I wouldn't suggest jumping any ships any time soon. They've got a great future ahead of them as well with Matthews/Nylander/Marner. They've been building the right way so far as well.

Reactions: 99664987

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad