Has Messi surpassed Gretzky/Jordan and others as the GOAT for all sports?

Is Messi the GOAT in all sports?

• Yes

• No, it's still Gretzky

• No, it's still Jordan

• No, it's another hockey player (Orr/Howe/Lemieux/etc)

• No, it's another athlete from a different sport

Results are only viewable after voting.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
You are not going to get a consensus and definitely not in North America. Not everyone likes the same sports. There's a definite bias.
Bias doesn’t necessarily equate to error. You can have bias and be right.

I’m as big a hockey fan as I am a soccer fan. The argument used to include Pele vs Gretzky. I still think that’s a proper correlative given Pele’s numbers, championships in comparison to his peers.

Obviously I err towards Gretzky if only from the peer to peer comparison within sports and then the comparison to other sports’ best.

Does Messi have the same distance to his sports rival that Gretzky does to his? If not who is ahead of Messi and is that the player we should be comparing?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Brady
Gretzky
Jordan

Ali
Ruth
Messi
Djokovic
Nicklaus
Nurmagomedov
Lomu
Bolt
Phelps

honouable mentions:
Tiger
Lebron
Orr
Mario
Manning
Sugar Ray Robinson
Sanders
Federer
Nadal
Pele
Silva
GSP
Ohtani
Ted Williams
Richie McCaw

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I am begging my fellow Americans who don't like soccer to either:
Just say you don't find it interesting -or- come up with a new shtick. The "they dive! not like me! I'm tough!" routine has been played out for like 15 years now.
Yet to be disproven though

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Jordan in a no hand-check NBA would be unstoppable. NBA players past and present have said as much many many times.

I’m a biased American for sure but soccer is a boring game and I’ll never put Messi over greats like Jordan, Lebron, Gretzky, Lemieux, Bonds, Randy Johnson, Brady, Payton, etc…

Soccer sucks and is lame as f***. Come at me bro’s, as soon as you get up off the grass after faking an injury and crying your eyes out on global television :laugh:

In America the kids who played soccer were the ones who didn’t have the strength, hand eye coordination, or quite frankly balls to play the real sports. I know Messi is supremely talented but it’s still soccer and I still don’t care about it. Never have never will. I played for about two years and even became a certified soccer ref at one point. It’s a lame game.
I hope you realize the US has produced exactly 0 stars in soccer's history. And I am not talking superstars. Basically in the top 50 best soccer players in the world there has never ever not even for a single season been a single American. So who gives a fck that soccer is a sport talented kids in America don't play when talented kids all over the world play soccer.

Nobody even bothers to make an argument for anyone other than Gretzky as the GOAT of Hockey.

Whereas people compare Ronaldo and Maradona to Messi and LeBron to Jordan.

Even if Messi and Jordan come ahead in those arguments, people still think there's room to make them.

I interpreted this question as "who is more untouchable in their sport" and thus my answer is Gretzky.
Nobody? There are threads all the time in here about whether Orr is the greatest or whether Lemieux peaked higher. People compare Ronaldo and Maradona to Messi for sentimental reasons. Unlike Americans most people couldn't care less about statistics, they vote based on emotion. Statistically Messi is far and beyond anyone and everyone.

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I think there's a case to be made for it, as he's the best player of all time in the most popular (thus, most competitive) sport in the world. But there's an argument for Pele or Maradona, if one wants to make it. On the other hand, I don't think there's an athlete who dominated their respective sport quite like Gretzky. Phelps, Lomu, Williams, Bradman, Ruth and Jordan are in the conversation but I think Wayne takes it for unattainable greatness.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Thats not true. Messi in his peak scored 91 goals in year. Haaland has 50 something goals. If you add Haaland's goals + Mbappe goals this season it's still less than what Messi scored in 2012.

Thats my point, Messi has been so dominant, it's hard to pin point what he did because we never had time to let it sit. He breaks records every season... Him winning the World cup as a slow 36 year old, is the last image of him people have. But thats the worst version of Messi. He's just that good that at 35-36 he takes his nation to a World Cup agaisnt peak Mbappe at age 24
View attachment 730725
If secondary assists were counted CR7 and Lewa and Suarez wouldn't even have their one season I bet.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Only person you can compare to Messi in any North American teams sports is Gretzky. The Wizardry and being born to play a sport. Gretzky much like Messi was just so far ahead of his peers at reading the games. IQ for both, off the charts.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Only person you can compare to Messi in any North American teams sports is Gretzky. The Wizardry and being born to play a sport. Gretzky much like Messi was just so far ahead of his peers at reading the games. IQ for both, off the charts.
Their rivals were arguably physically harder to stop too in Ronaldo and Lemieux, in terms of the athlete you would build to play their sport.

My struggle with Messi which to be clear was allowed medically by doctors, but he was given HGH injections after being diagnoses with GHD as a teen. It is also a topic that neither Barcelona or Messi were particularly willing to comment on throughout his career. We can assume/hope he came off of it as an adult but he would more than likely be ineligible to be tested by WADA as the result of his diagnosis.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I can understand the Messi argument due to global nature of the sport, but from a Canadian perspective and North American perspective in general, I think people would defer to someone outside of soccer…so Canadians might lean towards Gretzky and Americans may lean to someone like Jordan. My other issue with Messi is lots of people would argue Ronaldo over him…I’m not into the sport enough to argue that, but the point is, people can argue that without being complete idiots….even if there was no question…he didn’t dominate the field like Gretzky or Jordan.
there are three type of people, who would argue cristiano over messi:
- portugues
- fans of real madrid
- people who have no clue about football/ soccer

there is no reasonable argument for cristiano.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
When comparing GOATS from different sports you have to take in consideration how popular each sport is. When you're the GOAT in soccer, you beat out BILLIONS of other players. To be the GOAT in hockey you beat out Millions.

Gretzky dominated more relative to his peers than Messi, but its easier to dominate a pool of millions than billions.

Therefore to be dominating in soccer is somewhat more impressive, not taking away anything from Gretzky who is easily a top 2-5 athlete of all time.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm slightly shocked to see people putting Lomu out there. Guy was iconic and super talented but his try scoring record isn't at all dominant compared to other All Black wingers - Savea, Howlett, Rokocoko, Wilson, Kirwan, Ioane all guys with comfortably better strike rates.

Tbh, I can't think of a player who's held higher for doing less in his sport. Like, he's fantastic... but so were many.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You have a basketball player in your avatar. "Drawing a charge." Is a dive. Your sport celebrates diving. ...or flopping...difference is, 7ft , 300lbs of muscle do it.
In actual basketball if you flop on a charge it's a technical foul.

Brady
Gretzky
Jordan

Ali
Ruth
Messi
Djokovic
Nicklaus
Nurmagomedov
Lomu
Bolt
Phelps

honouable mentions:
Tiger
Lebron
Orr
Mario
Manning
Sugar Ray Robinson
Sanders
Federer
Nadal
Pele
Silva
GSP
Ohtani
Ted Williams
Richie McCaw
Ohtani belongs nowhere near this list. And Bonds should be close to the top.

• Wow
Reactions: Haatley

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I would then argue that become a pro soccer player is not any harder given the shear number of professional leagues around the world vs ice hockey.
Yes which make becoming the best pro soccer player even more impressive (there is not one that would have challenged you that did not because he was on a slower development path and could not get a break on a roster in a key position)

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
In actual basketball if you flop on a charge it's a technical foul.

Ohtani belongs nowhere near this list. And Bonds should be close to the top.
Disagree…. I can only imagine if Ohtani was juiced.

Ohtani’s past 2 seasons are already better than any season Bonds put up pre-juice

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad