Has McDavid already passed Kane and Toews?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
McDavid out produced Kane's peak regular season in only his third year.

Kane's 2015-2016 season was better. He had 17 more points than his closest competitor (106 - 89). People don't give Kane enough credit for how dominant he was that season.

Reactions: COHawk

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Kane's 2015-2016 season was better. He had 17 more points than his closest competitor (106 - 89). People don't give Kane enough credit for how dominant he was that season.

That is impressive. Not trying to short change that.

But by raw totals, McDavid has eclipsed that and isn't close to his prime yet.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
That is impressive. Not trying to short change that.

But by raw totals, McDavid has eclipsed that and isn't close to his prime yet.

Fair. You are not wrong. But, it was by 2 points in a season that featured a lot more scoring. Then again, Kane was on the Hawks and McDavid is on the Oilers.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
People really underrate intangibles. You see they aren't just tangible but intangible and therefore defines the very heart of what an NHL player really is. You can't gain respect and championships without it. Ovechkin learned how to become intangible and go beyond just offense to win it all finally after having his character questioned for years.

Toews never had such issues because he understand at a core level what it takes to win. This is what makes him superior to Mcdavid, hes scored clutch goals and has the It factor, you can't spell IT without Intangibles. What is life without it? The earth ceases to exist without that very essence of humanity, the intangibility of it all. Toews deserves our respect and recognition, our intangible recognition.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
hes better then both have ever been at hockey...they have both had better hockey careers (to date)
Because he had 2 more points? I forgot HFboards is all about points. Kane's 106 point season and playoff performances are a level that McDavid hasn't eclipsed.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
I think McDavids 2018 season is as good as kanes mvp year. Maybe better considering lucic is a plug and Kane had panarin

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
People really underrate intangibles. You see they aren't just tangible but intangible and therefore defines the very heart of what an NHL player really is. You can't gain respect and championships without it. Ovechkin learned how to become intangible and go beyond just offense to win it all finally after having his character questioned for years.

Toews never had such issues because he understand at a core level what it takes to win. This is what makes him superior to Mcdavid, hes scored clutch goals and has the It factor, you can't spell IT without Intangibles. What is life without it? The earth ceases to exist without that very essence of humanity, the intangibility of it all. Toews deserves our respect and recognition, our intangible recognition.

Great to see TSN workers not only produce great content, but also come and post with the people, God bless you sir and may the intangibles be with you!

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Only? That's when many players peak. Sid has yet to top his 2nd season.
His 109 point season was probably as good considering gpg for the league. Crosby would have topped that sophomore season several times if he didn't get injured. Anyone who watched him throughout that time frame agrees

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
This is sort of a silly question. Of course McDavid has eclipsed them. Toews and Kane are great players. McDavid is a generational talent on another level.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Considering most of his points actually come at even strength its not even close really if we are talking about an individual season or individual skill. He already has more even strength points in a season than any other player in the league if not then he actually might already have it.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
When all is said and done, barring injury or a complete erosion of skill, McDavid will be the best all around since Gretzky/Lemieux. His prime will make Crosby look human. There I said it. He's the best player I've seen, and I caught the tail end of Gretzky/Lemieux. If he was born 35 years earlier, he'd be right there with Gretzky/Lemieux in terms of point production. I'm a Hawks fan, I love what Toews and Kane have done for the Hawks, but neither could hold McDavid's jock. McDavid is just that much better.

Reactions: Smart Alek

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't really understand question. His first 2 1/2 regular seasons are obviously better than anything those 2 did.

Would be considered an all time better player if he quit right now? No.

But he's obviously well on his way and tracking to be a much greater all time player than both.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Ahhhhhh.....the off season is upon us. This will be the first of many threads about how much better McDavid is than the rest of the league.

There will be stat's junkies, "watch the game" guys, homers and the outright fanatics telling us that McDavid will lap the league next year.

Is 135 out of the question? What about 150?? I mean if the Power Play wasn't so bad......he'd put up those numbers easily!!

Why is he even being compared to Towes? Other than his Cups.....the guy isn't in the same ball park.

Kane, an argument can be made that his one season was more impressive, but everyone knows that McDavid is the better overall player.

I'll just wait around for the "Is McDavid better than peak Rick Tocchet?"

October is a lifetime away.........

Reactions: Laineux

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
McDavid: 71 5v5 points
Toews + Kane: 74 5v5 points

close, but not quite

seriously though, McDavid is unreal. he's certainly more talented than either of them have ever been

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
as an Oiler fan I wouldn't say that. Like for instance, if McDavid retired today there's no way he would be remembered like Kane and Toews would be (well other than that he retired at 21 :P)

Reactions: HugginThePost

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Ahhhhhh.....the off season is upon us. This will be the first of many threads about how much better McDavid is than the rest of the league.

There will be stat's junkies, "watch the game" guys, homers and the outright fanatics telling us that McDavid will lap the league next year.

Is 135 out of the question? What about 150?? I mean if the Power Play wasn't so bad......he'd put up those numbers easily!!

Why is he even being compared to Towes? Other than his Cups.....the guy isn't in the same ball park.

Kane, an argument can be made that his one season was more impressive, but everyone knows that McDavid is the better overall player.

I'll just wait around for the "Is McDavid better than peak Rick Tocchet?"

October is a lifetime away.........

If threads like this pain you that much, you are aware that you don’t need to read or respond to them right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad