Has McDavid already passed Kane and Toews?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Today's version of McDavid is better than any version of Kane/Toews throughout the years.

People focus too much on team accomplishments when judging players, which is why Ovechkin was ripped for dumb things like never winning a Cup.

When you're talking about the final product/outcome, he's on another level than both.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
In terms of raw talent and paycheque, yes he's surpassed both.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
In terms of individual skill, he passed them. In fact, he passed Toews even before he played a single game in NHL.

He needs more team-based accomplishments, however.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He is better than either of them have been I don't think there is any denying that. His career is not better yet because he only has one playoff run with 9 points in 13 games but it will probably be easily better within a few seasons I bet.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Well McDavid is considered by bare minimum 30-40% of fans/and other players as the best player in the world, and more than likely considered top 3 by 99%.

Toews has never been considered that, and if Kane was, it was during his art ross season and by a much smaller percentage of fans in that window.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
He's just as obviously better than either of them has ever been as that he still has an inferior career to either of them.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Toews and Kane have way too much self respect to sign long term in freaking Edmonton. What a disaster for the league that its best player ended up in an unwinnable situation. Pathetic.
I thought the lottery was rigged though?

I'd also hardly count the second round of the playoffs as unwinnable

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
What? I terms of individual skill.. isnt the only debate if he is, just Crosby? This seems weird and petty

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
McDavid out produced Kane's peak regular season in only his third year.

Henrik Sedin has a higher scoring season then McDavid has he not passed his peak? Kane had 2 less points, more goals in a lower scoring year and had a much higher margin over 2nd place. Not to mention that season was coming off a PPG cup winning playoff run. Yes McDavid had yet to surpass Kane's 1 year peak, that's not to say he won't.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Henrik Sedin has a higher scoring season then McDavid has he not passed his peak? Kane had 2 less points, more goals in a lower scoring year and had a much higher margin over 2nd place.
One season does not peak make. Kane's 106 points was fuelled by all kinds of unsustainable percentages.

Two seasons at Ross level, with sustainable metrics behind it, is better offensively than anything Kane has done.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
One season does not peak make. Kane's 106 points was fuelled by all kinds of unsustainable percentages.

Two seasons at Ross level, with sustainable metrics behind it, is better offensively than anything Kane has done.

Yes 1 season can be a peak "mate".

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

What does that matter in regards to who had the better peak season?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
What does that matter in regards to who had the better peak season?
The question was has McDavid surpassed them as players.

I would pick current McDavid over any version of Toews or Kane and it wouldn't even be a question. And I think most here would agree.

15/16 Kane is a better season statistically offensively than what McDavid has done.

Reactions: Romang67

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Well McDavid is considered by bare minimum 30-40% of fans/and other players as the best player in the world, and more than likely considered top 3 by 99%.

Toews has never been considered that, and if Kane was, it was during his art ross season and by a much smaller percentage of fans in that window.

Considered what? The best or top three? Toews was top three (top two actually) a few times based on The Hockey News actual top 50.

But regardless, this is kind of a silly thread. Of course McDavid has already had better seasons. It's like asking "Would you want a Crosby/Ovechkin hybrid on your team." Why yes. Yes you would. And the answer to the question in this post is just as obvious.

Captain-Obvious-Says-Gee-what-do-you-think-meme-26696.jpg

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
McDavid is better than either player, as well as everyone else in this league not named Crosby or Karlsson (and there is a debate about whether he's better than either of them right now). It shouldn't be a slight to either of Toews or Kane that they aren't on McDavid's level, because that level will probably wind up top 10 in the history of the league when Connor calls it a career.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad