Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
I actually agree in this case.

It’s way too early to label Matthews as a playoff choker. It’s fair to say though that he just didn’t perform well in the playoffs. And this year will overshadow last years six game loss to the caps where he did pretty good (goal wise) was non factor in first two games and another one in the middle.

If this series went four or five games it would still be bad for him not to show up but it’s the fact it went the full seven and was smdairly close and if he had just stepped up it could of been the whole difference. That’s the part I’m sure that burns.

So he definitely should get a pass but if this tree continues expect leaf fans to get impatient. Which is sort of ridiculous I k ow but there fans want a series victory badly as do all.

Like you said one good playoff showing and one bad. Lets wait and see before we label him anything. The physical attributes are there and he will figure it out with more nhl experience. Lets also give credit to the Bergeron line. They are the most complete line in hockey both offensively and defensively. I’m pretty sure Matthews would have a much better showing against the Devils or Bolts

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Here's an idea: Actually look up what the players you are citing as an example did in their first two playoff seasons for offering them up as evidence to support your silly comment.

My bad for the Crosby and Malkin( well their first playoff apparence werent the best by their standards) . All i’m saying is, we should wait and see before we label a player anything. Matthews will figure it out i’m not concerned.... He simply has too much talent not to figure it out

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
My bad for the Crosby and Malkin( well their first playoff apparence werent the best by their standards) . All i’m saying is, we should wait and see before we label a player anything. Matthews will figure it out i’m not concerned.... He simply has too much talent not to figure it out

The thing is, nobody is labelling him anything. People are just saying he struggled in these playoffs, and he truly did.

What is strange is the straw man arguments that are being spit back like saying "It's too early to call him a playoff choker" (nobody is saying this) or a Leaf fan sarcastically saying "We should trade him for two 2nd rounders and a third line center" (nobody is suggesting that either.)

The reason this thread is up to 45 pages is there have been so many Leaf fans through the last two years claiming Matthews was on another level than Eichel (downright silly) or that he was comparable to McDavid (again, ridiculous) or that he was one of the very best players in the league. (Somehow its too early to suggest that he's not a good playoff performer but it wasn't too early to claim he was one of the very best players in the league?)

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The thing is, nobody is labelling him anything. People are just saying he struggled in these playoffs, and the truly did.

What is strange is the straw man arguments that are being spit back like saying "It's too early to call him a playoff choker" (nobody is saying this) or a Leaf fan sarcastically saying "We should trade him for two 2nd rounders and a third line center" (nobody is suggesting that either.)

The reason this thread is up to 45 pages is there have been so many Leaf fans through the last two years claiming Matthews was on another level than Eichel (downright silly) or that he was comparable to McDavid (again, ridiculous) or that he was one of the very best players in the league. (Somehow its too early to suggest that he's not a good playoff performer but it wasn't too early to claim he was one of the very best players in the league?)

Exactly this. All Leafs fans had to do was admit what they already are admitting on their own message boards. Matthews struggled these playoffs and he was disappointing. End of thread. But nope, anything less than anointing him the greatest player in the Universe is seen as slight against him and they turn up with their shoddy non-sensical defences of said player.

Reactions: Frosty415

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
I don't think he struggled. He played better than expected.

There those leaf fans that are crying and whining in this thread should be happy now.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
there's no emotion in his game. very robotic and not in a good way. it's almost like he doesn't care.. leafs management should be concerned since he might go full daigle

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
The thing is, nobody is labelling him anything. People are just saying he struggled in these playoffs, and he truly did.

Lets not paint us all with the same brush either. He’s not in the top tier in the league and I think any objective Leaf fan would agree. The potentiel he has shown us in his first two seasons would make us believe that he will be one of those players sooner rather then later but never on the Mcdavid level.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
there's no emotion in his game. very robotic and not in a good way. it's almost like he doesn't care.. leafs management should be concerned since he might go full daigle

What a miss informed post. Maybe you should look at his reaction after he scored the game winner in game 3 and get back at me. He doesnt show alot of emotion in the media because we all know how the Toronto media can be

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Pretty harsh accusation by Kypreos that Matthews was tuning Babcock out (then Tim and Sid show some clips to support and then talk about how Eichel had the power to get the GM/coach fired). But, then again, seems par for the course for Toronto media. Free pass time is over, the rabid media dogs are out looking for red meat.

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Lets not paint us all with the same brush either. He’s not in the top tier in the league and I think any objective Leaf fan would agree. The potentiel he has shown us in his first two seasons would make us believe that he will be one of those players sooner rather then later but never on the Mcdavid level.

I'm not painting anyone with the same brush. I'm not saying all Leaf fans, but you have a very vocal very silly group of fans that venture out of your forum and post hilarious and combative things all over the main boards that absolutely fuel threads just like this. Take a look at those posts - and the legions of "likes" beneath them - and it should be abundantly clear why threads like this seem to be never-ending.

The Maple Leafs are a team that haven't won a playoff round since before the iPhone was invented and haven't even challenged for a Cup in over fifty years and yet there is members of their fan base that are all over threads here mocking other fanbases (particularly the Oilers) attacking Jets fans and making laughable claims like "the rebuild has just begun" (despite missing the playoffs nine out of the last eleven years and piling up draft picks, etc. Who knew that a rebuild doesn't officially count unless you intentionally tank? Who knew that when a rebuild "starts" even mattered at all? These Leaf fans think its important to lay claim to the date the rebuild has begun so they can post threads about how far ahead they are of other teams rebuilds.) This kind of nonsense is so petty and so laughable to the fanbases that it's ripe for lampooning. When the team goes out and lays and egg in the playoffs and their anointed messiah forgets to show up at all, of course there's going to be a run on humble pie orders.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pretty harsh accusation by Kypreos that Matthews was tuning Babcock out (then Tim and Sid show some clips to support and then talk about how Eichel had the power to get the GM/coach fired). But, then again, seems par for the course for Toronto media. Free pass time is over, the rabid media dogs are out looking for red meat.

Also Dreger stating that he was annoyed at Babcock. The Leafs organization/media circle will always destroy themselves from the inside out.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
i find it strange all the "scouting reports" had matthews compared to kopitar and toews before he was drafted. all the raving about his 2 way play defensive instincts LMAO.. obviously they never watched him and just wanted to sell some more koolaid to leafs fans.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
i find it strange all the "scouting reports" had matthews compared to kopitar and toews before he was drafted. all the raving about his 2 way play defensive instincts LMAO.. obviously they never watched him and just wanted to sell some more koolaid to leafs fans.

Was he bad defensively or something in your mind? He might not have been Selke-quality, but I don't think his defense was what was underwhelming this series.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Hes Phil Kessel. A real good player but needs to ride shotgun with a true number 1. Hes a Robin who needs a Batman

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Hes Phil Kessel. A real good player but needs to ride shotgun with a true number 1. Hes a Robin who needs a Batman

I don't think so. He created a bunch of offense by himself and with Zach Hyman alone (and Brown at times), he was able to put up a star performance.

He just had an underwhelming playoff, he was fine fro most of the regular season. I think his issue is just consistency as it is for some young guys. Some overcome it and turn into PPG players and some stay streaky throughout their career.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Well hes only played in one round each year. If they would have advanced..maybe he gets it going next series.

Thing with the Pens winning back to back cups...we had guys who didnt do much in one series...and then were the difference in another. So you need your team to be deep enough to get thru even if a top player is struggling.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
I'm not painting anyone with the same brush. I'm not saying all Leaf fans, but you have a very vocal very silly group of fans that venture out of your forum and post hilarious and combative things all over the main boards that absolutely fuel threads just like this. Take a look at those posts - and the legions of "likes" beneath them - and it should be abundantly clear why threads like this seem to be never-ending.

The Maple Leafs are a team that haven't won a playoff round since before the iPhone was invented and haven't even challenged for a Cup in over fifty years and yet there is members of their fan base that are all over threads here mocking other fanbases (particularly the Oilers) attacking Jets fans and making laughable claims like "the rebuild has just begun" (despite missing the playoffs nine out of the last eleven years and piling up draft picks, etc. Who knew that a rebuild doesn't officially count unless you intentionally tank? Who knew that when a rebuild "starts" even mattered at all? These Leaf fans think its important to lay claim to the date the rebuild has begun so they can post threads about how far ahead they are of other teams rebuilds.) This kind of nonsense is so petty and so laughable to the fanbases that it's ripe for lampooning. When the team goes out and lays and egg in the playoffs and their anointed messiah forgets to show up at all, of course there's going to be a run on humble pie orders.

I love how it's the 'Leaf fans' doing this, but not the other fanbases. I also love how probably >2/3 of your posts are about the Leafs and criticizing some aspect of the team. We can see your agenda...don't try to pass it off as some sort of impartiality. You're quite transparent.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012

He may have been playing injured. And consider that these two first seasons of his, he's won a Calder and made the playoffs...Does that prompt one to reflexively define Matthews as a better player than McDavid? No more than it should cause comparisons to Kessel who plays a different game at a different position.

Matthews is going to win a Selke one day. He's a 200 foot player and he's an offensive catalyst who can finish, but generates his own offense routinely. He's a true number one.

But the most honest way to determine something like that is to compare his first two seasons to other present day number one centers...Including Patrice Bergeron. But I don't think that particular comparison helps opportunistic threads/posts like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad