News Article: Has Anthony Duclair been too good for the Senators to keep?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd qualify him this yr & see if he can do it again next season before committing long term. Ottawa should be in no rush it's not like he can go somewhere else he is restricted afterall. Let's see where he is & the team is & what happens over the course of next season before committing to anything & then make a decision one way or the other. I'm also not sure whether there would be that much interest from anyone else in the league although who knows with Seattle. He does seem to be fitting in here which is nice, hopefully, he can build on this yr's success next season & earn himself a decent contract for a few yrs.

Reactions: inthewings

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
So after he cool down to the point of not scoring in like 12 games. Do y’all change your mind on the big contract you guys were willing to give him or we should trade him??

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Maybe he is cooling down in purpose to support the tank, in which case he would be the ultimate team player along with Anderson.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
So after he cool down to the point of not scoring in like 12 games. Do y’all change your mind on the big contract you guys were willing to give him or we should trade him??
I want to re-sign him but I lower a bit his money. A deal around 4m. Duclair said he want to be here when we are a contender team. I wonder if he accepted 4.5m x 8 years

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
My stance was always: "take advantage of a young player on the rise and give him a 5 x 5 which could look like a bargain in 2 years".

Now that, was based on production. Duclair is an offensive player and although still useful when not scoring, he gets/should get paid for scoring not for the "little things". If he wants to become a more defensive minded player and play a shut down role, good for him, but he will get paid as such.

At this point I would still "take advantage" and sign him to a longer term, but more like 3-4 years instead of 5, and at a rate of 3-4 million instead of 5 million per.

That way if he remains a more consistent point producer and goal scorer starting next season, we would have ourselves a bargain player over the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad