News Article: Has Anthony Duclair been too good for the Senators to keep?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
I know lol but I think they ask the question because he tends to have a really bad season after a good one. His value is at the highest right now...

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He is an RFA. The Senators can make him prove himself for as many as two more seasons before committing long term. They don't have to risk overpaying Duclair long term if they aren't sold.

Unless Duclair really wants to bet on himself, the Senators could get him on a Hoffman type contract right now. Somewhere in the 4-5 years 5-6 million range. The price obviously goes way up if he is a 30+ goal scorer for the next 3 seasons, but it also goes down if he regresses. If the Sens are sold on him, they should sign him now.

The only reason to trade him is if the Sens believe he is actually what be was his entire career, and that his current streak is an anomaly. Even then, I can't see us getting a huge return at the upcoming deadline. Teams will be apprehensive go pay for a player who has had such an up and down career.

Reactions: DrEasy and Xspyrit

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Of course you keep him. He's that skill the team desperately needs to hang on to. He's the priority up front imo.

Pretty much.

There should be no issue. If neither side can go long term, Duclair is an RFA with ARB rights. A short term deal can get done.

If a team offers a 2020 1st....sure. But that isn't realistic. Teams aren't going to want to pay full value for a player who has flamed out with many teams and has had one fantastic season. Duclair will need to establish himself for longer before teams will give up full value, so why trade him?

It's such a simple answer. He has been great. Sign him to something. If the team needs another year to settle on a long term deal, go 1 or 2 years.

Reactions: Gesus

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Too... Good ...to keep?

tenor.gif

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Pretty much.

There should be no issue. If neither side can go long term, Duclair is an RFA with ARB rights. A short term deal can get done.

If a team offers a 2020 1st....sure. But that isn't realistic. Teams aren't going to want to pay full value for a player who has flamed out with many teams and has had one fantastic season. Duclair will need to establish himself for longer before teams will give up full value, so why trade him?

It's such a simple answer. He has been great. Sign him to something. If the team needs another year to settle on a long term deal, go 1 or 2 years.
Exactly. This should be an easy layup.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've been asking myself this question for a while now & IMO it's the same question we ask of Pageau. Both players are playing well right now but both players could regress at any time given their own history but at the same time both are in their prime yrs. Pageau is a UFA which means he is unrestricted can decide for himself whether to re-sign with the team that traded for him, if they want to re-sign him, or move on & sign with someone else including Ottawa.

Duclair on the other hand is an RFA (restricted) & the club makes the decision whether to re-sign him or not which means they might not be able to get him back if they do trade him. That makes trading him a little harder given Ottawa needs another good goal scorer on RW where he seems to be comfortable playing. I would consider giving Duclair a one or two yr contract since Ottawa controls the situation to see if he can repeat this success & take it from there. He is still young enough to fit into the rebuild & would help a young team struggling to score if he find consistency from yr to yr.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I find it interesting that Ottawa is the only team in the whole league where there are questions about re-signing RFAs. You sign him. Pretty simple if you ask me, but "pretty simple" always tends to get pretty complicated for this org.

The only scenario where you entertain moving him is if someone offers you a pick that could be in the top half of the first round.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I don’t understand this fan base. It praises the White $4.75 x6 and wants to go cheap on a 24 year old RFA in Duclair and 27 year old UFA / Pager.

Duclair is an ideal outcome for the SJ pick that would cost $6+ off an ELC anyway.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
That's to risky of a price. I'd cap it at 3.7-4 for 3-4 years.

Why would he sign that? Especially if he gets 30-35 goals. What do guys coming off a 35 goal year sign for? 5-8 million? With his past he'd likely be at the lower end of the window, but you're not getting him for the price of a 20 goal scorer...

Reactions: Ed Wood

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
It is pretty sad that Duclair has this unfair reputation now with regards to his "5 teams in 5 years" simply because people choose to ignore the facts. He is only 24 years old, and 226 of his 320 career games have been played for two teams (Ariz and Ott). The remaining 94 games were played for the other 3 teams (NYR-18, CHI- 23, CBJ- 53).

The first trade from NYR was simply a hockey trade, it had nothing to do with the player, he was much too young to make the assumption that the Rangers had given up on him. He then played 3 seasons for Arizona, a terrible team, and put up 74 points in 172 games (0.43 ppg) which is not terrible considering the team he played for and the fact he was still a young player learning the game. I also take his stints with Chicago and CBJ with a grain of salt as he did not play enough games to warrant proper judgement, still, he had 8 points in 23 games for CHI and then 19 points in 53 games for CLB which to me is okay, all things considered.

Now to be fair, maybe Chicago and Columbus management and coaches did not like his game and figured he played a risky style that did not suit their expectations. Needless to say however, with proper coaching, Duclair has excelled and become an excellent offensive player and a decent one without the puck too. There is absolutely no reason to think he will "regress" to his old ways since we do not really know what his old ways were. He was still a threat offensively, always has been, and always will be. Also, once an NHL player becomes better defensively and plays a strong game without the puck, they tend to continue their careers down that path and rarely ever go back to being a liability in that regard.

Coles Notes: the "5 teams in 5 years" means squat. Duclair has always been good, he just needed proper coaching to round out his game.

Bottom line: Sign him to a 3-5 year contract for 4-6 million.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I've been asking myself this question for a while now & IMO it's the same question we ask of Pageau. Both players are playing well right now but both players could regress at any time given their own history but at the same time both are in their prime yrs. Pageau is a UFA which means he is unrestricted can decide for himself whether to re-sign with the team that traded for him, if they want to re-sign him, or move on & sign with someone else including Ottawa.

Duclair on the other hand is an RFA (restricted) & the club makes the decision whether to re-sign him or not which means they might not be able to get him back if they do trade him. That makes trading him a little harder given Ottawa needs another good goal scorer on RW where he seems to be comfortable playing. I would consider giving Duclair a one or two yr contract since Ottawa controls the situation to see if he can repeat this success & take it from there. He is still young enough to fit into the rebuild & would help a young team struggling to score if he find consistency from yr to yr.

I don't see them as similar at all.

Pageau is a 30-40 point player who's shooting percentage is unsustainable. He's a 30-40 point 3rd line checking center. That's what he is.

Duclair on the other hand has always been a boom or bust. Hes got top line talent but people doubted his attitude would be good enough to stay in the NHL. He seems to have matured and put it all together.

Duclair is much more likely to be able to score 30+ goals in other seasons while pageau will always struggle to get 20 goals.

They're completely different players. Pageau is converting twice as many shots as he should. Duclair is going out there and creating chances almost every shift. He does disappear sometimes though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't see them as similar at all.

Pageau is a 30-40 point player who's shooting percentage is unsustainable. He's a 30-40 point 3rd line checking center. That's what he is.

Duclair on the other hand has always been a boom or bust. Hes got top line talent but people doubted his attitude would be good enough to stay in the NHL. He seems to have matured and put it all together.

Duclair is much more likely to be able to score 30+ goals in other seasons while pageau will always struggle to get 20 goals.

They're completely different players. Pageau is converting twice as many shots as he should. Duclair is going out there and creating chances almost every shift. He does disappear sometimes though.
I never said they were similar players or played a similar game. What I was referring to is their situations being similar in respect to the trade deadline & their success so far this yr. I thought that was pretty clear but I guess not.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
He is an RFA. The Senators can make him prove himself for as many as two more seasons before committing long term. They don't have to risk overpaying Duclair long term if they aren't sold.

Unless Duclair really wants to bet on himself, the Senators could get him on a Hoffman type contract right now. Somewhere in the 4-5 years 5-6 million range. The price obviously goes way up if he is a 30+ goal scorer for the next 3 seasons, but it also goes down if he regresses. If the Sens are sold on him, they should sign him now.

The only reason to trade him is if the Sens believe he is actually what be was his entire career, and that his current streak is an anomaly. Even then, I can't see us getting a huge return at the upcoming deadline. Teams will be apprehensive go pay for a player who has had such an up and down career.

Quality post, as usual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad