News Article: Has Anthony Duclair been too good for the Senators to keep?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Duclair had Batherson wide open for a back door plat against Vegas and shot

I hope he gets it going again. This little cold stretch is either costing us trade return assets and / or cost Duclair money

if we are looking to trade him then im pissed

if its costing duclair money for resigning then im fine with it

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Normand Flynn talk to Smith before the Calgary game and said Duclair here his in ours top 6 but in every other team not. Also said we have just one top six guys and his Tkachuk. For me if the price is right I want to keep the Duke

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Man I'm scared he seems like the guy most likely to disappear after getting a multi year deal

He doesn't even have the multi year deal yet and he's disappeared.

I'd certainly sign him at this point, but anything with term really scares me with this dude.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
If a little cold streak gives the team leverage in a contract negotiations with Duclair then so be it, this is a lost cause season anyway.

I still believe he is young enough that he could still find more consistency with age, but at the same time, it would not hurt for him to play with a legitimate playmaker. He looked really good in the brief time he spent with Logan Brown when he was first called up and found ways to get open. Right now we are really lacking legitimate playmakers so I am not surprised Duclair is struggling as he has had to create most of his offense on his own using his elite speed.

Ideally we would sign him to a 3 year deal, somewhere around 4 million. I admit I had him pegged for a 5 x 5 not long ago but with his recent dry spell, he might need to prove himself a little more before hitting a home run contract.

Reactions: Crosside

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
he still has RFA years left. no reason to rush to anything unless a team falls in love with him, which won thappen. my guess of what happens is that he likes it here we like him, he knows he has a rep teams arent going to give him big money.. his salry demands will be reasonable, we will accept he will continue to be a decent producer nothing special

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There's kind of two situations at play here.

1. In a vacuum, he looks like a guy who is excelling with prime opportunities in a contract year.

2. In Ottawa, we have a severe lack of skill and speed in the same package, not to mention, goal scoring talent or talent period on the wings.

Reactions: guyzeur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He doesn't even have the multi year deal yet and he's disappeared.

I'd certainly sign him at this point, but anything with term really scares me with this dude.
He is injured...

He hasnt dissapeared, his main attribute is his skating ability which is obviously being effected by the shot block on his ankle.

They have to sign him he is the perfect age for the rebuild and has shown an ability to drive a line and create offense all on his own. Literally the only player other than Chabot that does this on a regular basis.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The other aspect to consider is that the Ottawa franchise can take some credit in revitalizing his career.

As a team that can struggle to attract free agents, having a positive relationship with a player could be a bonus.

Reactions: DrEasy and bert

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Wouldn’t a one year deal leave him as an RFA for us in that case. A one year show me deal would serve us better I think.
I was unaware of his age. Regardless, I don't think he'll settle for a one year but yeah you're right. Definitely go for a one year.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I was unaware of his age. Regardless, I don't think he'll settle for a one year but yeah you're right. Definitely go for a one year.

It definitely won’t be his favourite, I agree. If management is still unsure about what he is, I’d rather they do another ‘show me’ instead of trying to go for term obviously.

As is often the case, I imagine that there will be a difference of opinion between Duclair’s camp and the Sens camp on what ‘he is’ at the end of the season.

I’m happy to have him signed and have him and Formenton as elite speedsters on the roster in a few years.

Reactions: OmniSens

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Duclair has everything you'd ever want in a forward. I have no idea why they aren't tripping over themselves to lock him up. Every time I watch him on the ice, he's doing something smart and he's doing it at speed. His skill is just ridiculous. I seriously wonder if some of the hesitancy (among the league and fans) isn't race bias. A lot of the Tim Hortons crowd seem to reject players that aren't white. It pisses me off but pretending it doesn't exist is cowardly. In his time here in Ottawa (which is the only time I've really watched him play) Duclair has been lights out our best forward. AINEC

Reactions: TheDebater and HSF

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Duclair has everything you'd ever want in a forward. I have no idea why they aren't tripping over themselves to lock him up. Every time I watch him on the ice, he's doing something smart and he's doing it at speed. His skill is just ridiculous. I seriously wonder if some of the hesitancy (among the league and fans) isn't race bias. A lot of the Tim Hortons crowd seem to reject players that aren't white. It pisses me off but pretending it doesn't exist is cowardly. In his time here in Ottawa (which is the only time I've really watched him play) Duclair has been lights out our best forward. AINEC

Not only what you mentioned, but you are starting to see some trepidation in defenders who are marking him. He is a top 6 forward

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

The hesitancy has nothing to do with race and everything to do with the fact that he's been wildly inconsistent for his entire NHL career, to the extent that 4 previous teams have acquired him and then quickly moved on.

We're talking about a long-term extension here. These go wrong all the time. There's clearly going to be conversation about Duclair's background and concern about whether he'll maintain this level of play. As he continues to perform the concern will alleviate.

Race has no place in this discussion.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The hesitancy has nothing to do with race and everything to do with the fact that he's been wildly inconsistent for his entire NHL career, to the extent that 4 previous teams have acquired him and then quickly moved on.

We're talking about a long-term extension here. These go wrong all the time. There's clearly going to be conversation about Duclair's background and concern about whether he'll maintain this level of play. As he continues to perform the concern will alleviate.

Race has no place in this discussion.
Respectfully, that's a facile comment. Hockey is an old boys' club and race certainly plays a role. It plays a role everywhere, not just hockey. I wonder how many coaches or GMs over the years have dismissed Duclair because he didn't quite 'fit in'.
Duclair has played 60-70 games now for Ottawa. EVERYTHING I have seen during that span has shown me that he is a special talent. Especially now after the Akim Aliu story, it really makes you wonder what kind of treatment Duclair was getting in those other situations.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Respectfully, that's a facile comment. Hockey is an old boys' club and race certainly plays a role. It plays a role everywhere, not just hockey. I wonder how many coaches or GMs over the years have dismissed Duclair because he didn't quite 'fit in'.
Duclair has played 60-70 games now for Ottawa. EVERYTHING I have seen during that span has shown me that he is a special talent. Especially now after the Akim Aliu story, it really makes you wonder what kind of treatment Duclair was getting in those other situations.

There is absolutely no basis for suggesting that racism has played a part in how NHL front offices have viewed Duclair, or in how HF Sens views Duclair.

Get this race baiting garbage out of here.

Reactions: OD99 and BondraTime

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

Duclaire has a break through 20G 40+ point season and followed it up with three straight years of garbage play

that has to be a concern when talking extension

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Race probably not a factor or a very minor factor. If this was PK Subban or prime Simmonds, he'd be locked up. He's basically a less established, lower potential Zibanejad in terms of career progression and Zib still only got 5x5 while being a much more hot young player.

2 years makes sense for everyone. He goes to UFA, we get to trade him and make room for new contracts to our young guns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad