Speculation: Has Adam Oates Been Fired Yet???? How about now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberati0n*

l2LTo.gif

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There's no reason for Fenton not to look at Trotz first and foremost, assuming no budgetary constraints. (Tying a new GM's hands would be a lovely start for that person, I'm sure.)

Is there anything to indicate Fenton has some allegiance to Trotz that would even get him on the short list? I think given Oates' salary there's no reason to believe a Cap-limit team like us would suddenly skimp on the head coach. I never believed that dumb idea anyway. Leonsis might sit on his hands too long but he's not dumb enough to put a Fishing boat Captain at the helm of an expensive Cruise liner taking on water.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I would love the Caps to hire a coach like that so long as the roster gets overhauled to suit his style. What are the odds of that?

Laviolette is a Boudreau clone in terms of coaching. Guys like him Bylsma, Roy, Richards and a few others actually prefer attacking instead of giving the other team the puck and sitting back.

If I was a betting man I would think the Caps go back to the style of hockey that made them successful. Heck we drafted pretty much our entire farm system to suit that style so may as well go with it.

It wouldn't require a huge roster turnover either. Not like going to a trapping system would.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Laviolette is a Boudreau clone in terms of coaching. Guys like him Bylsma, Roy, Richards and a few others actually prefer attacking instead of giving the other team the puck and sitting back.
You should probably watch Games 3 & 4 of that series. :)

They miss Barrie, their best possession defenseman, but they were a poor possession team all year long. Credit Roy nonetheless given the makeup of their blueline but they were a sit back and counter sort of team quite often this season. They're a quick team through neutral but only five teams gave up more shots (none made the playoffs). Varlamov covered up a lot of their issues.

The Caps will need to significantly upgrade their blueline whatever they do. While their draft picks are overwhelmingly finesse players, I don't think that's the reason to become a more free-flowing team. It's that 8/19/52 haven't shown the willingness to bring it under any other style. It's their one-dimensional games that's the real issue and a reason to wonder if this core is good enough regardless. That mix in styles will need to change. Free-flowing can get them back into the playoffs and playing with confidence but I don't think that alone brings them to contender status. They need to actually mature as a group before that can happen and I'm not sure this bunch has it in them (or that it can be brought out by a coach that largely tells them to just go out there and out-talent teams again).

Last edited:

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia
Exactly. It's pretty clear at this point that they are not going to just do it on their own. They need to be pushed and they will need a proven NHL coach to do that vs. a rookie coach with not just no experience but no "credibility" so to speak. They for sure need more talent around them that can finish with the puck. Mojo is not cutting it in any way on this team and has no business on the 1st line anymore than Beagle does IMO.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
You should probably watch Games 3 & 4 of that series. :)

They miss Barrie, their best possession defenseman, but they were a poor possession team all year long. Credit Roy nonetheless given the makeup of their blueline but they were a sit back and counter sort of team quite often this season. They're a quick team through neutral but only five teams gave up more shots (none made the playoffs). Varlamov covered up a lot of their issues.

The Caps will need to significantly upgrade their blueline whatever they do. While their draft picks are overwhelmingly finesse players, I don't think that's the reason to become a more free-flowing team. It's that 8/19/52 haven't shown the willingness to bring it under any other style. It's their one-dimensional games that's the real issue and a reason to wonder if this core is good enough regardless. That mix in styles will need to change. Free-flowing can get them back into the playoffs and playing with confidence but I don't think that alone brings them to contender status. They need to actually mature as a group before that can happen and I'm not sure this bunch has it in them (or that it can be brought out by a coach that largely tells them to just go out there and out-talent teams again).

I'm too old to stay up and watch them alot but they seemed very aggressive to me in the limited exposure I got.

I'll defer to you tho. If they are a counter attack team then let me remove Roy from my assertion.

Our options are :

Free flowing
Nebulous Oates system trying to obtain the best of both worlds
Defensive system (trap n collapse, trap, Hunterhockey etc)

Not only do I feel our personnel matches free flowing better but I personally LOVE watching that kind of hockey.

But yeah our D and top 6 forwards need to be upgraded regardless.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
I'm not too excited about this whole press conference thing. You usually do not fire people in a press conference, you just announce they will not be returning. You have a press conference for something positive as you hire a new coach/gm, but you dont usually announce a firing at the same time.

I'm worried about this thing.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'm not too excited about this whole press conference thing. You usually do not fire people in a press conference, you just announce they will not be returning. You have a press conference for something positive as you hire a new coach/gm, but you dont usually announce a firing at the same time.

I'm worried about this thing.

I have the same thoughts, but I'm not worried. I think they're going to announce a hiring for all the reasons you noted above. That's a very difficult thing to keep secret though. If it's a hiring, I would think it would leak at some point this weekend.

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia
Boomer Gordon called out Uncle Ted today on The Point on SiriusXM. Wondering aloud as to what Ted is thinking waiting so long. Pretty much what everyone here has said.

While I want Monday to come so we can find out the teams future I'm also afraid of what might be coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad