Hartnell

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
For all the people that lamented the Umberger Hartnell deal, here's the real payoff. This is the last year Umberger will be on our books, for $1.5m. Hartnell will be on the Jackets roster for the next four years, consuming $1.5m, $3m, $1.25m, $1.25m in cap space respectively. Flyers win.

Draft pick received in that trade, 2015 4th rd, also turned into Mikhail Vorobyev.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, I wouldn't say the Flyers "won" that trade.

It was the right move for Hextall, because Hartnell wouldn't have made much of a difference the last three years, and he absolutely needed to clear that contract. At the time he didn't know he'd perform the miracle of making Vinnie's contract disappear. And Vorobyov is a nice consulation prize.

But Columbus got three years of Hartnell performing to or above his contract when they were a playoff team (or should have been one), so even though they have to eat the last two years, they also got real value out of the deal.

Sometimes it's not about "winning" trades, but making good deals for both parties.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

It was the right move for Hextall, because Hartnell wouldn't have made much of a difference the last three years, and he absolutely needed to clear that contract. At the time he didn't know he'd perform the miracle of making Vinnie's contract disappear. And Vorobyov is a nice consulation prize.

But Columbus got three years of Hartnell performing to or above his contract when they were a playoff team (or should have been one), so even though they have to eat the last two years, they also got real value out of the deal.

Sometimes it's not about "winning" trades, but making good deals for both parties.

I doubt the veracity of your claim Hartnell helped the Jackets win anything of importance. I'm guessing his total salary off set whatever profit was made from the 3 playoff games this year. Not really, but kinda sorta.

Saying the Flyers won is easy, it does not mention anything about the Jackets winning/losing the transaction.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware

Sounds alot like WE WON that trade

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Remember how since Hartnell left we've dramatically cut down on penalties taken and also how we're constantly looking to add more speed to our lineup?

Bringing Hartnell back would negate those two areas of progress.

I'll take Jagr tho

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The whole "won" or "lost" trade **** is so stupid.

If you get what you wanted out of a trade then it was a good trade, it doesn't matter how good or bad the trade was for the opponent. Two completely separate things that have nothing to do with one another.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Williams>Weal>Hartnell>Jagr

The W's I'd take on 2yr deals but the X's I'd prob only be happy with 1 yr med cap deal

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The whole "won" or "lost" trade **** is so stupid.

If you get what you wanted out of a trade then it was a good trade, it doesn't matter how good or bad the trade was for the opponent. Two completely separate things that have nothing to do with one another.

Typically yes, but for those that were saying Hextall was foolish for tradubg the then superior player for an inferior one- Hextall made the correct decision to get out from that contract and having that player on the roster for longer than necessary. He was effectively ditched before the experation date.

So maybe the Flyers didn't win the trade, so much as the fans that were fine to see Hartnall go have won the argument with those who lamented the trade with their short shortsightedness. Buying out a player is a team admission of concession.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Didn't I read yesterday in another thread that people did not want anyone that takes bad penalties? Now people want someone that takes bad penalties?
No thank you.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
He only had 63 PIM this year, was a +14, positive corsi, with 2.42 points per 60, almost 1 assist per 60. Played 78 games. He had 37 points which is what some people here think Nolan will do in his 1st year.

Signing him short term improves the LW depth, which hasn't been good since he left. Lindblom helps if he plays LW. Weal is probably gone.

If you can sign him for peanuts, why not? Probably be willing to work with the Flyers as well.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you can sign him for peanuts, why not? Probably be willing to work with the Flyers as well.

Hartnell's last 29 games:

0-7 7 and he was basically off the PP for that stretch.

So he's falling off the cliff and is no longer a valuable PP scorer.
At least VdV could play on the PK!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hartnell's last 29 games:

0-7 7 and he was basically off the PP for that stretch.

So he's falling off the cliff and is no longer a valuable PP scorer.
At least VdV could play on the PK!

Just because Hakstol played his son on the PK doesn't mean he belonged there at all.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I love Fartsmell and I would welcome him back, but where would he play? I haven't seen a ton of him lately. Can he hang on a top line role these days?

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
There is definitely room for him if he could still play.....

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Filppula - Couturier - Simmonds
Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny
Raffl - Lehtera - Weise
Laughton
Read

......unfortunately he can't anymore.

So any prospects can rot in the minors or juniors so Hartnell can play for another year and we can feel better about it. All year everyone was hoping they would bring up some of the young d men to see what they have because in the long run it would benefit the team. But I guess it only applies to the defense. It's better to have Hartnell than see what Vecchione, Lindblom, or anyone else can do right? If it doesn't work, what do you do with him? You would be stuck with him. Makes no sense. He scored 0 goals in his last 33 games and was taken off the PP unit.

Just saw you agreed he's done.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad