Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Maine Mariners Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Khodorenko loses puck at the blue line leading to breakaway. Khodorenko not having a good game.

3-1 Bruins after 2.

2 quick goals for Bruins to start period. Bruings break in 2-2 but Khodorenko doesn't pick up his man leading to clean shot from slot that goes in. On the next play the Bruins crash the net and it looks like Bruins get clean shot from just in front of net.

Barron goal -- shown above -- makes score 2-1. Newell feeds Barron in front, Barron makes great play to control the pupuck and then bury it.

Later in period Bruins take long shot from the point that goes in untipped. Lots of traffic in front. Then Wall pulled.

Barron having his best game by far. Ronning continues to look active and making several plays. Reuschhoff with a couple of good plays. Vets -- Greco, Thompson -- non existent.

Reactions: gravey9

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Since Schneider left the Wolfpack D hasn't been that good. The D in general with Sieloff and Crawley in are just more shaky. Tarmo's not as noticeable this game as well.

That 3rd goal on Wall was a point shot that went through some traffic. But Wall hasn't been great.

Cuylle and Barron both had chances to tie before Providence went back up by 2. In general, the D is ok. And the O would be better if the centers could drive the offense a bit more.

Barron and Cuylle are somewhat similar out there. But Barron is more polished. Barron is moving his legs more and more and is forechecking better. I just want him to continue to build that part of his game. I hope he becomes our Tyler Toffoli. But we'll see.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Agree that losing Schneider makes a difference but at the same time Wall replaced Kinkaid. It's hard to know whether the goalie switch isn't the bigger issue.

Since Schneider left the Wolfpack D hasn't been that good. The D in general with Sieloff and Crawley in are just more shaky. Tarmo's not as noticeable this game as well.

That 3rd goal on Wall was a point shot that went through some traffic. But Wall hasn't been great.

Cuylle and Barron both had chances to tie before Providence went back up by 2. In general, the D is ok. And the O would be better if the centers could drive the offense a bit more.

Barron and Cuylle are somewhat similar out there. But Barron is more polished. Barron is moving his legs more and more and is forechecking better. I just want him to continue to build that part of his game. I hope he becomes our Tyler Toffoli. But we'll see.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Agree that losing Schneider makes a difference but at the same time Wall replaced Kinkaid. It's hard to know whether the goalie switch isn't the bigger issue.

Well, I think both are true. Kinkaid is currently better than Wall. Kinkaid is a NHL/AHL tweener. Wall is not yet an AHL goalie. He's got some work to do.

As for the D -- Schneider wasn't just good in his own zone, but he was rather good at anticipating and his skating was quite good. He was actually a bit of an offensive threat out there in retrospect. Specifically in the transition/turnover game. Without him, it's just Tarmo. Raddysh and LoVerde are the next best players. But after that it's Geertsen, Sieloff and Crawley --- and they're not great at helping the transition or doing much in the offensive zone. And that's half the D core now.

But yeah, I agree, it's both in G and D.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Also worth noting: Last year HFD was way more structured than the NYR. This year, it feels like the NYR are playing with better structure. Er, there are more breakdowns in HFD;s structure is what I mean.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Ty Ronning got a goal, assisted by Cuylle. Seneshyn made a really bad play at the Hartford blue line and Cuylle turned it up to Ronning. Not the best goal for the Providence goalie

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
on Garand -- He looks quick, small. A battler. He's very active in the pipes. He will need to work on his rebound control. and likely becoming a bit more structured. But he did make quite a few good saves on tough chances.

On Cuylle -- he's real interesting prospect because he pretty much already plays "the right way." He was forcing things a little at the very beginning of the game. But he's one of the more reliable forwards out there. He doesn't play like an 18 year old. And his hands and vision ain't bad. It's all going to be about growth with him. Can he continue to build on his game? I like what i see otherwise.

And yeah, Tarmo's worst game. He was fine. Not bad. But not terribly impactful.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I want to point out re: Fontaine and the taxi squad--if you look at the transactions page on AHL.com, every day the Rangers recall two guys to the taxi squad and send two guys down. They do it every day. Sometimes more than once. Guys will nominally be on the taxi squad a few times in one week. So, I wouldn't read into what CapFriendly or anyone else says is the taxi squad on a given day because a lot of the transactions are simply of the paper variety.

On Wall, as many of you know I was never the fan that some were. Some games he is locked in, commands the net, and looks great. Other games it's like he forgot to show up mentally and just completely falls apart. An even more dramatic Georgiev. That's why I was never a huge fan. I had optimism after his last season was more consistent, but I didn't think it was a given that he'd automatically be better than, say, Huska. This is where the short season and not having Maine hurts. He could go start every game in Maine. I think he'll be fine but these conditions hurt him more than most.

Richards I presume is hurt or sick, at this point.

Really, check out the transactions page to see how the NYR handle the taxi: TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
The Rangers may be doing this to provide some extra dollars to their NHL 2 way contract players in Hartford. The player gets paid more being on the taxi squad than being paid only at the AHL salary pro rated rate because players in the AHL are having their salaries pro rated. This is explained below:

Player is on the Taxi Squad

If a player on a one-way NHL contract is on the Taxi Squad, he is paid his regular NHL salary subject to the same deferral and escrow as if he was on the NHL roster.
If a player is on a two-way NHL contract, he is paid his minor league salary, without any proration.
Example:
Alex Barabanov is on an ELC that pays $925,000 in the NHL and $70,000 in the minors.
Salary owed is calculated daily, and the NHL year has 116 this year. So one day on the NHL roster for him is: 925,000 x 1 / 116 = 7,974.14. With the deferral and escrow taken off, that becomes: $5,751.38
On the Taxi Squad he is paid 70,000 x 1 / 116 = $603.45
In the AHL he would be paid something between that number and $242 each day.
This information is from Attachment D of the 2020-2021 NHL Transition Rules

NHL to Taxi Squad to AHL Salary Structure

I don't want to kill Wall after only two games and that is not an adequate sample but all but one of the goals he has given up have been shots from 40+ feet out. He is playing deep in the net and not challenging the shooter. From the camera angle it is hard to tell if he is being screened or just not reacting quickly. But he is not off to a good start and as discussed above the Ranger defensive play has declined without Schneider and Kinkaid.

I agree that Richards must be hurt but the excellent Hartford PR department hasn't provided any information.

I want to point out re: Fontaine and the taxi squad--if you look at the transactions page on AHL.com, every day the Rangers recall two guys to the taxi squad and send two guys down. They do it every day. Sometimes more than once. Guys will nominally be on the taxi squad a few times in one week. So, I wouldn't read into what CapFriendly or anyone else says is the taxi squad on a given day because a lot of the transactions are simply of the paper variety.

On Wall, as many of you know I was never the fan that some were. Some games he is locked in, commands the net, and looks great. Other games it's like he forgot to show up mentally and just completely falls apart. An even more dramatic Georgiev. That's why I was never a huge fan. I had optimism after his last season was more consistent, but I didn't think it was a given that he'd automatically be better than, say, Huska. This is where the short season and not having Maine hurts. He could go start every game in Maine. I think he'll be fine but these conditions hurt him more than most.

Richards I presume is hurt or sick, at this point.

Really, check out the transactions page to see how the NYR handle the taxi: TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Rangers may be doing this to provide some extra dollars to their NHL 2 way contract players in Hartford. The player gets paid more being on the taxi squad than being paid only at the AHL salary pro rated rate because players in the AHL are having their salaries pro rated. This is explained below:

Player is on the Taxi Squad

If a player on a one-way NHL contract is on the Taxi Squad, he is paid his regular NHL salary subject to the same deferral and escrow as if he was on the NHL roster.
If a player is on a two-way NHL contract, he is paid his minor league salary, without any proration.
Example:
Alex Barabanov is on an ELC that pays $925,000 in the NHL and $70,000 in the minors.
Salary owed is calculated daily, and the NHL year has 116 this year. So one day on the NHL roster for him is: 925,000 x 1 / 116 = 7,974.14. With the deferral and escrow taken off, that becomes: $5,751.38
On the Taxi Squad he is paid 70,000 x 1 / 116 = $603.45
In the AHL he would be paid something between that number and $242 each day.
This information is from Attachment D of the 2020-2021 NHL Transition Rules

I don't want to kill Wall after only two games and that is not an adequate sample but all but one of the goals he has given up have been shots from 40+ feet out. He is playing deep in the net and not challenging the shooter. From the camera angle it is hard to tell if he is being screened or just not reacting quickly. But he is not off to a good start and as discussed above the Ranger defensive play has declined without Schneider and Kinkaid.

I agree that Richards must be hurt but the excellent Hartford PR department hasn't provided any information.
I think you are 100% correct about the reason for the taxi transactions. I've suspected this myself but no one reports on it. It's basically the opposite of how we send guys on ELC to the taxi to bank cap space. Except this isn't related to cap space, it's just to help out the guys who will only be collecting the prorated AHL salaries.

Reactions: Ranger Ric

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think you are 100% correct about the reason for the taxi transactions. I've suspected this myself but no one reports on it. It's basically the opposite of how we send guys on ELC to the taxi to bank cap space. Except this isn't related to cap space, it's just to help out the guys who will only be collecting the prorated AHL salaries.

put ELC guys on the taxi squad saves cap space (and possibly bonus overage) while screwing the kids out of $$...but I don't understand the reason in the other direction. guys on two-way deals get paid their minor league salary. that means they get paid their AHL salary whether they are on the taxi squad or ahl roster.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
put ELC guys on the taxi squad saves cap space (and possibly bonus overage) while screwing the kids out of $$...but I don't understand the reason in the other direction. guys on two-way deals get paid their minor league salary. that means they get paid their AHL salary whether they are on the taxi squad or ahl roster.

Yes, for the purpose of salary paid out, the taxi squad is no different from a player being in the AHL.

Reactions: Leetch3

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
On Cuylle -- he's real interesting prospect because he pretty much already plays "the right way."

Got that impression last night while observing Blackwell and his decision making out on the ice and just from his overall approach to the game... Even if he (Blackwell) tops out as a 3rd liner or bottom 6 forward, he's just one of those players who seems to understand how to play out on the ice and be effective (and stands out as a result). Feel the same way about Lindgren...

He was forcing things a little at the very beginning of the game. But he's one of the more reliable forwards out there. He doesn't play like an 18 year old. And his hands and vision ain't bad. It's all going to be about growth with him. Can he continue to build on his game? I like what i see otherwise.

Has Cuylle thrown his body around much and played a physical game? Or perhaps more of a reserved game given his young and and the fact that he's playing against much older competition than he had ever been accustomed to?

I thought I had recalled highlights of Miller in college throwing some big hits against the boards in the neutral zone - but I have to say during his NHL tenure I can't recall many instances of him throwing big hits or attempting to do so... I wonder if he's preoccupied with his defensive positioning and assignments and doesn't want to take himself out of a play in a way that leads to a goal against... I also wonder about if there could be a tentativeness to lay somebody out this early into his career due to the likelihood that he'll have to engage in his first NHL fight if an opposing player responds accordingly... I don't really know to what extent he's prepared for that type of engagement but it's really early in his NHL career and he may be choosing to focus on other areas/aspects of his game first (or maybe was instructed to do so), and his physicality will naturally develop as he's more acclimated to this level of play...

For Cuylle as a 19 year old coming from being one of the older players in his junior hockey league, I would have to imagine it could certainly be a factor jumping up to a league where you're suddenly you're no longer facing off against your peers, but grown ass men with many more years experience both playing the game and engaging in the rough stuff & fisticuffs. I haven't been able to view a game so I haven't seen him play but I know he projects to be a big-bodied, hard-nosed power forward type (if he pans out)... I'm curious how he's currently approaching the game at the AHL level, being one of the youngest guys out there... I wouldn't blame any player if they played a more reserved physical game to start their careers at these professional levels, until they felt more comfortable and acclimated...

Rangers need to be a tougher team to play against (especially upfront), and if players like Miller and Cuylle and Schneider can eventually add an element of physicality to the team's overall game, that would really help out and go a long way towards making the Rangers harder to play against, especially in the post season...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Yes, for the purpose of salary paid out, the taxi squad is no different from a player being in the AHL.
As was posted in the link earlier, players are paid their FULL AHL salary when they're on the taxi squad. When they're on the AHL roster, they're paid that prorated amount, which we knew from the outset was 40%. So a guy on an ELC with no minimum salary guarantee will pick up more money by spending a day or two on the taxi squad than in the AHL because his salary isn't prorated for the time he's on the taxi squad.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
As was posted in the link earlier, players are paid their FULL AHL salary when they're on the taxi squad. When they're on the AHL roster, they're paid that prorated amount, which we knew from the outset was 40%. So a guy on an ELC with no minimum salary guarantee will pick up more money by spending a day or two on the taxi squad than in the AHL because his salary isn't prorated for the time he's on the taxi squad.

ah i missed that distinction...I knew there was something I was missing...so the rangers are trying to spread the wealth by bouncing those guys back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad