Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Swamp Rabbits Thread *Part VII*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Lindberg Cheese:

You make some good points and in trying to identify a problem I did not appropriately qualify my comments. I think my point is still valid but obviously not for every player. I will only point out that most of the players you mentioned were not free agents but high draft picks who were bound to the Rangers and on whom the Rangers were going to focus attention. I also note that Zuke did leave for a year to play in Russia because he was unhappy the way he was treated.

I was thinking more of the free agents like a Jonathan Marchessault who plays for Hartford under an AHL contract and when the Rangers offer him an NHL contract he chooses Columbus because he feels he has a better opportunity with them. The same thing will now happen with Hrivik. If I am a free agent I think I am concerned that there is a coach who sticks by his veterans even when it is clear they can't play rather than give younger players a chance.

I am hopeful that the Rangers have added and will add some other younger players and quality free agents to fix the Hartford situation but I am concerned about a coach whose record in Vancouver and NY is to stick with his veterans.

True, I suppose every team has guys that they scrapped early on that did well under other teams, hence the reclaimation tag. JAM is one of them for us, hard to allocate the 50 contracts. We very well may lose Hrivik and Jenssen but they are replaceable.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Joly already should have an ELC. No brainer. Look at some of the guys who have ELC's and compare them to him. No brainer

IDK, he's small and was 20 when signed. Tearing up the Q at age 20 isn't particularly impressive. Lots of random guys kill it in the Q and then do nothing. Just because we hand ELCs to crap like Chapie doesn't mean we should give a contract to every diminutive over-ager who lights up the Q. I have only seen him once. Is he JAM or is he MSC?

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Jensen evidently hit Joly in the face with the puck. They said Joly had to be rushed off the ice with a sense of urgency...and they had to take time to scrape the blood off the ice. I hope he's OK.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
IDK, he's small and was 20 when signed. Tearing up the Q at age 20 isn't particularly impressive. Lots of random guys kill it in the Q and then do nothing. Just because we hand ELCs to crap like Chapie doesn't mean we should give a contract to every diminutive over-ager who lights up the Q. I have only seen him once. Is he JAM or is he MSC?

MSC didn't have a lick of success at the AHL. Joly ripped apart the ECHL. MSC was good but not great down there. Considering the amount of contract spots available and what he's shown so far, I'd sign him.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
19 save shutout for Hellberg. Joly, Gilmour, and Jensen with the goals. Jensen had an assist too.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
When I saw Joly play for Hartford against Hershey back in December he looked small and slow, like he didn't belong in the AHL. But to his credit he got his game together in Greenville and he's making a case for a contract. As NYR Viper says he's definitely better than MSC who had no impact in the AHL. But as nyr2k2 says if he is not offered an NHL contract he could leave for a better offer. I'm not sure offering him another AHL contract is a realistic option.

Another consideration for the Rangers is that when you look at Hartford you see a lot of smaller forwards and some of their bigger forwards do not play big. I think the Rangers signed Chapie, traded for Chris Brown and brought in McRae and Carey on AHL contracts, because they realized they needed some size up front. And if Hrivik leaves they become even smaller. Do the Rangers want to sign another small forward?

So I think to some extent the Joly question becomes an organization one of whether the Rangers feel they can sign Joly and still sign some bigger forwards as prospects. If Joly continues to score over the next seven games I think the Rangers are going to have a hard time not offering him an NHL contract but if they don't I think size may be the issue.

As would I. However if he's UFA after this year we may not have the option to sign him to another AHL deal.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Here is the Joly puck to the face injury. They cut away immediately, so most of the video is actually just audio of Crawford describing what happened.

The camera cutting away has nothing to do with blood or anything...it's just the way the Hartford games are broadcast. They constantly show ads...sometimes even while the game is being played...so you sometimes miss action.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Looks like Joly has 8 points in 10 games since his March recall, not bad.

Would rather have a guy like him, even if he only stays in the AHL, then some of the AHL vets we have signed over the years that seem to mail it in after they get waived during training camp.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Looks like Joly has 8 points in 10 games since his March recall, not bad.

Would rather have a guy like him, even if he only stays in the AHL, then some of the AHL vets we have signed over the years that seem to mail it in after they get waived during training camp.

Exactly right. The Rangers need to also concentrate on icing a good Wolfpack team.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Joly already should have an ELC. No brainer. Look at some of the guys who have ELC's and compare them to him. No brainer

20-year old in the CHL needs to prove himself at the pro level first. It's different from a 21-year old who plays in the NCAA.

In the CHL, you play against 16 and 17 year old kids.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
20-year old in the CHL needs to prove himself at the pro level first. It's different from a 21-year old who plays in the NCAA.

In the CHL, you play against 16 and 17 year old kids.
Getting him on an ahl deal the smart thing to do originally, but now you're handing out NHL deals to 22-23 year olds and Joly is a full year younger and starting to show the he deserves another deal. He probably has earned a contract at this point more so than some of the unproven college kids. I would give him an NHL deal once someone like Donnay gets off the books.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
It was the right move to sign Joly to an AHL deal, but we should sign him up on an ELC asap now, he's earned it both in Greenville and now in Hartford.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've only watched him a few times and wasn't paying attention to him, so I don't know much about him, but can someone who's watched Joly a lot tell me if they think he could be a top 9 forward in the NHL? What are his strengths and weaknesses?

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I've only watched him a few times and wasn't paying attention to him, so I don't know much about him, but can someone who's watched Joly a lot tell me if they think he could be a top 9 forward in the NHL? What are his strengths and weaknesses?

I mean, there's obviously a long way to go but anything is possible.

His strengths are his filthy hands, like ridiculous stickhandling at times. He also has a pretty good shot and high offensive hockey IQ.

Weaknesses; Obviously his frame and overall strength, probably needs to improve his skating to get around the size issue.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

He's got great hands, offensive awareness and very good wheels. Hockey IQ is above average. Positioning was good in all three zones, but could use tightening. Was and isn't all that physically built and gets knocked around quite a bit.

^ This is also my analysis on him while he was in juniors.

From moments that I've seen, via game highlights and live this year, he looks as though he's added more speed to his repertoire and bulked up a bit. Similar case to JAM, but two different players; JAM is more a playmaking/scorer type and Joly is more power foward/grinding-in-the-box type while also maintaining some skills with the puck.

End of the Year Production = ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad