Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Swamp Rabbits Thread *Part VII*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Nieves and Graves off to good starts, I knew the Whalepack would lose last night though, went up against Richard Bachman right before Halloween....

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
So what on earth happened between the NHL preseason awesome Skapski to the 0-3 AHL Skapski?

Granted the defense has played terrible in all games i've seen so far :-/

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Nieves needs to continue to put up points. If he wants to push for a spot this season, e needs to stay hovering around .7-.8ppg and play a good all-around game.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Nieves needs to continue to put up points. If he wants to push for a spot this season, e needs to stay hovering around .7-.8ppg and play a good all-around game.

He won't make it this season. There's nothing wrong with being a good second line AHLer in your rookie pro season. He's still 22.

Being a good AHLer does not get you promoted to the NHL. Fast was a good AHLer from his first second there (scored a goal almost immediately). So was Lindberg. So was Miller. In every case, they had to wait until they totally dominated the AHL to move up. The AHL is not like the KHL where there's an overlap in quality, so top KHLers are as good as many NHLers.

Between the NHL and the AHL, there's a definite line. There are almost no AHLers who can take regular shift on NHL teams and not merely avoid f***ing up, but actually contribute for 82 games when they have to pace themselves for a marathon rather than impress in a spring for an injury call up. Literally a single digit number of such players exist in the AHL. So when you're playing in a league where over 95% can't hack it in the NHL, to prove that you're an NHLer, you don't need to be just good, not just above average, but head and shoulders above your competition.

Nieves is not there, at least not yet. He looks like a solid AHL top-6er. He does not look like he's too good for the AHL.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
He won't make it this season. There's nothing wrong with being a good second line AHLer in your rookie pro season. He's still 22.

Being a good AHLer does not get you promoted to the NHL. Fast was a good AHLer from his first second there (scored a goal almost immediately). So was Lindberg. So was Miller. In every case, they had to wait until they totally dominated the AHL to move up. The AHL is not like the KHL where there's an overlap in quality, so top KHLers are as good as many NHLers.

Between the NHL and the AHL, there's a definite line. There are almost no AHLers who can take regular shift on NHL teams and not merely avoid f***ing up, but actually contribute for 82 games when they have to pace themselves for a marathon rather than impress in a spring for an injury call up. Literally a single digit number of such players exist in the AHL. So when you're playing in a league where over 95% can't hack it in the NHL, to prove that you're an NHLer, you don't need to be just good, not just above average, but head and shoulders above your competition.

Nieves is not there, at least not yet. He looks like a solid AHL top-6er. He does not look like he's too good for the AHL.

Beacon, do you think he be a adequate fill-in for injuries as a bottom 6er for 3-5 games at this point? Just curious. I don't expect to see him until at least Jan-Feb but curious where he is now. Who would be your first callup right now?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Beacon, do you think he be a adequate fill-in for injuries as a bottom 6er for 3-5 games at this point? Just curious. I don't expect to see him until at least Jan-Feb but curious where he is now. Who would be your first callup right now?

Yes, in the right sheltered spot, he can fit in. He has NHL size, speed and vision. There are no glaring major problems, but there are several issues that come with having zero pro experience. Assuming no injuries or an attitude problem leading to a refusal to learn from the coaches, I have little doubt Nieves will eventually be an NHLer. He could step in for a few games right now with 8-9 sheltered minutes, but I wouldn't be trading a forward on the expectation that Boo will take over full-time.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think that Nieves could fill in as a role player on the Rangers 4th line right now but you risk losing the development of the offensive component of his game. I think he's better off in Hartford at least for a couple months---get some goals, get some points, get some confidence in all parts of his game.

His skating is fine--he had no problem with the pace of pretty much a complete Flyer team in training camp after coming off a minor injury and sitting for a week +. He was very competitive in that game--using both his size and speed to disrupt the Flyers attack. He showed more in that one game than either Hrivik or Jensen showed in the 3-4 games that they got each. He's our best forward prospect in Hartford IMO.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
That's pretty much it for his NHL chances. I imagine he'll be loaned back to Sweden soon enough.

disagree, i expect Calle will be back in Hartford as soon as they don't have 7 healthy D

playing in the E at 22-1/2 is not the death sentence it once might have been,
many teams have deep depth charts these days, and want the young prospects playing, while also wanting their affiliates competitive

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
disagree, i expect Calle will be back in Hartford as soon as they don't have 7 healthy D

playing in the E at 22-1/2 is not the death sentence it once might have been,
many teams have deep depth charts these days, and want the young prospects playing, while also wanting their affiliates competitive

He has significant professional experience and should be able to stick in the AHL. He hasn't progressed much over the past few years, which makes me think it's unlikely that he takes any great jump over the next year or two. I haven't seen enough progress.

He should be more than a 7/8 defenseman on a bad defensive AHL team. If he has designs on making the NHL, anyway.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Guessing Paliotta isn't a difference maker in Hartford? Kind of expected him to be

what are you basing that assumption on?
points?

he's played every game, been playing top-4 minutes, pairing often with Gilmour or Graves,
and as soon as Dylan arrived they sent down one of the righty's behind them
his +/- is 0, on a team with 10 (-) players, Graves is -2

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
That's pretty much it for his NHL chances. I imagine he'll be loaned back to Sweden soon enough.

Possibly/probably, I had hopes for him last season going into this summer, but to be honest, I really think he should have taken a big step this summer to stay on track.

I don't like the work Gernander is doing in HFD and playing as defensive they are, I am not sure Andersson benefits from that given that he is more a puck possession player. But his big issue is nonetheless his mobility. He has always been heavy-set. What I would have liked to see this summer are of course report about him showing up in ultra good shape and it showing on the ice in how well he would move. How much his agility had improved.

I would be surprised if he stayed for sure.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Well that sucks for Calle. I was really hoping he would take the next step in his career to become a really good AHL defenseman this year. Looks like we need to add another RD to the prospect pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad