they did it with Kovacs,
and Day has had full 4 years tenure at OHL

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
btw I expect them to have Day turn pro

they did it with Kovacs,
and Day has had full 4 years tenure at OHL

He's still 19 when next season starts so his contract would slide so long as he doesn't play NHL games. So if they think he's ready, I say let him play in Hartford

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
He's still 19 when next season starts so his contract would slide so long as he doesn't play NHL games. So if they think he's ready, I say let him play in Hartford

That might ne the better choice. But he can play 9 games with the NYR and still let the Contract slide if he goes to Hartford - no? Or is that only if he goes back to Juniors?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
That might ne the better choice. But he can play 9 games with the NYR and still let the Contract slide if he goes to Hartford - no? Or is that only if he goes back to Juniors?

AHL games don't count so he could go down to Hartford after playing games in the NHL I believe. I don't think he's nearly ready to play with the big team but would be fun to see

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
From GMTech924 at today's Wolfpack event with season ticket holders:

Greg Markiewicz‏ @GMTech924 1h1 hour ago
More
Also overheard Marek Hrivik say he's probably not gonna re-sign with the Rangers, it sucks he won't but I do understand why #HWP20

That does suck, but can't blame him. The AHL is a developmental league that limits the number of veterans that can be on the roster. Hrivik ain't getting any younger. He can probably start in any overseas league and hopefully get paid well if he gets into one of the more affluent leagues. May as well do it while he's still young and can earn good money for many years.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hrivik can go have a really nice career in Europe. He can try his hand in the KHL where he could flourish or he could probably be an absolute star if he played back home.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I was hoping Hrivik and Jensen would re-sign, i like both... I really hope Hartford does a good job of replacing them, we need some high level AHL vets on that team to help the kids.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
If I were Hrivik I'd go knock on some doors in Switzerland.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
This does not mean he is going to Europe. Just that he will not re-sign with Rangers. Rangers are just too deep, he was supposed to be close to making the team last couple of seasons but could not get it done except few games because of injuries. He may feel (and rightfully so IMO), he may have better chance to make it elsewhere. Maybe "Computer Boys" from Florida liked what he brought during his time with Rangers? Just guessing here and might be wrong but going off what he said last year he prefers to stay in NA over European leagues. That could have changed over the year.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Hrivik>Pirri>>>>>>>>>>>>Puempel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Glass

Hrivik shoulda been with this team.

He may not score worth a damn, but he plays a strong 2 way game and plays in the other teams end. we need more of that to take pressure off our craptastic defense

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
When I posted this item last night I was in a sour mood after having learned that C. J. Smith from Mass Lowell had signed with Buffalo. So I decided not to make any comment on the post.

But after a night of sleeping on it I still am unhappy for two reasons.

First, I am of the view that Hrivik should either be playing on the fourth line or be an extra forward on the Rangers rather than Pirri (has he hit the net yet in 2017?) or even Puempel. I understand that others disagree and I have no interest in relitigating this issue.

But second and of greater long term concern is how Rangers treat their prospects and what message that sends to future prospects. Hrivik is home grown, got better every year, made a credible if not good showing when given a chance with the big club in the last two years, is the best player on Hartford, is an assistant captain so is a leader and when the Rangers make a call up they bring up .... Tanner Glass? A guy that isn't even a good AHL player. If I were Hrivik I would be pissed. The organization, and more specifically the coach, has just shown it doesn't value me. So why would I want to stay. And if I am a potential prospect like C. J. Smith and see Jimmy Vesey skating on the fourth line and Pavel Buchnevich scratched and the Rangers using veteran players beyond their expiration date like Tanner Glass and Dan Girardi (I love Girardi but it is painful to watch him play) why would I want to join that organization? So I think Hrivik is an example of a bigger problem in the organization.

OK. I feel a little better now.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Ric you make a good point that I've talked about a bit before as well.

It's a bad look for the organization when in the eyes of prospects they know that a ECHL player like Glass is getting minutes while a guy like Buch sits. Prospects see these things, they're not dumb. It's an issue the Rangers have had for at least as long as Glass has been here.

Why sign with a team when you know there's a solid chance a veteran and worse player than yourself will generally be favored?

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course
When I posted this item last night I was in a sour mood after having learned that C. J. Smith from Mass Lowell had signed with Buffalo. So I decided not to make any comment on the post.

First, I am of the view that Hrivik should either be playing on the fourth line or be an extra forward on the Rangers rather than Pirri (has he hit the net yet in 2017?) or even Puempel. I understand that others disagree and I have no interest in relitigating this issue.

But second and of greater long term concern is how Rangers treat their prospects and what message that sends to future prospects. Hrivik is home grown, got better every year, made a credible if not good showing when given a chance with the big club in the last two years, is the best player on Hartford, is an assistant captain so is a leader and when the Rangers make a call up they bring up .... Tanner Glass? A guy that isn't even a good AHL player. If I were Hrivik I would be pissed. The organization, and more specifically the coach, has just shown it doesn't value me. So why would I want to stay. And if I am a potential prospect like C. J. Smith and see Jimmy Vesey skating on the fourth line and Pavel Buchnevich scratched and the Rangers using veteran players beyond their expiration date like Tanner Glass and Dan Girardi (I love Girardi but it is painful to watch him play) why would I want to join that organization? So I think Hrivik is an example of a bigger problem in the organization.

there is no such animal in hockey; its alternate captain.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hrivik>Pirri>>>>>>>>>>>>Puempel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Glass

Hrivik shoulda been with this team.

He may not score worth a damn, but he plays a strong 2 way game and plays in the other teams end. we need more of that to take pressure off our craptastic defense

Personally I prefer Pirri over Hrivik and Puempel still 'might' (operative word) have some upside. Even so losing any of Hrivik, Pirri, Puempel or Glass is not something I would lose any sleep over. They're basically all 4th line types who are good to decent at certain things and not very good at others. It's not like the Rangers couldn't find any number of replacements for any of them.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

I've always held similar views concerning some players.

Instead of allowing Hrivik to play enough NHL games to still be a RFA and have him feel as if he had a chance with the NHL Rangers, they bring in Stoll, Paille, Malone play Glass.

I find it similar to Clendening, they can qualify him but what is his motivation in signing a qualifier rather than electing arbitration? If he is going to elect it, why are the Rangers going to qualify him just so they have a contract on their team they do not want through arbitration or by signing him outside of it? I don't think they qualify him and he too becomes a UFA. Paliotta must be thrilled as he is next in line for that.

My guess, Hrivik, Clendening, will need to be replaced in some capacity next year, because Glass, Stoll, Paille, Kampfer were worth getting those games instead. The replacements for who they lose, likely more Glass, Stoll, Paille, Kampfer types who will play over someone like Paliotta even if he somehow shows good in the NHL.

Not that I have anything against the players that played instead, just seems unfair they received the chances they did rather than the players who actually showed more and put in the time waiting.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

I partially agree but think that in many ways the Rangers treat their prospects just fine (depending on coach and needs): Stepan, Krieder, Zuc, Lindberg (you're my boy Blue), Miller, Hayes, McD, Skjei, Fast, Buch, Staal, Girardi, Hank; many have had weird up and down experiences but the opportunity was always there. Most have taken it and run.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If I were Hrivik I'd go knock on some doors in Switzerland.

If I were Hrivik, I'd go back home and see if I can sign with Slovan in the KHL. 2nd best league in the world, salary paid in Euros, everyone knows you, your home country...

And Bratislava is a beautiful city with friendly people, the fans are crazy. I went to a game last month there and it was amazing

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Might have to tape the Rangers game tonight in order to watch the Hartford game live. Want to see the new blood. And if Nell gets the call in net...that would make it extra fun.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Revel:

If you post about Hartford during the game on HF I for one will be paying attention with the Ranger game on. Thanks for all of the highlights you provide.

Might have to tape the Rangers game tonight in order to watch the Hartford game live. Want to see the new blood. And if Nell gets the call in net...that would make it extra fun.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Lindberg Cheese:

You make some good points and in trying to identify a problem I did not appropriately qualify my comments. I think my point is still valid but obviously not for every player. I will only point out that most of the players you mentioned were not free agents but high draft picks who were bound to the Rangers and on whom the Rangers were going to focus attention. I also note that Zuke did leave for a year to play in Russia because he was unhappy the way he was treated.

I was thinking more of the free agents like a Jonathan Marchessault who plays for Hartford under an AHL contract and when the Rangers offer him an NHL contract he chooses Columbus because he feels he has a better opportunity with them. The same thing will now happen with Hrivik. If I am a free agent I think I am concerned that there is a coach who sticks by his veterans even when it is clear they can't play rather than give younger players a chance.

I am hopeful that the Rangers have added and will add some other younger players and quality free agents to fix the Hartford situation but I am concerned about a coach whose record in Vancouver and NY is to stick with his veterans.

I partially agree but think that in many ways the Rangers treat their prospects just fine (depending on coach and needs): Stepan, Krieder, Zuc, Lindberg (you're my boy Blue), Miller, Hayes, McD, Skjei, Fast, Buch, Staal, Girardi, Hank; many have had weird up and down experiences but the opportunity was always there. Most have taken it and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad