Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL) / Maine Mariners (ECHL) 2018-19: Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Maine won 4-3. Drew Melanson had 1+2. Maybe he gets a chance and becomes a nice piece for Hartford. Also Maine's best goaltender is some knob named Lacouvee, since Nell and Halverson are horrendous.

Reactions: Osminator

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Once Belesky clears Fogarty should be given a chance. Ryan "The Luckiest Man To Make $8 Million Alive" Spooner can count his money and work on his investments and bitcoins in the pressbox.
Or they could send down Letteri and move vlad back to the wing. Either way Fogarty has certainly earned a spot here so far

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Once Belesky clears Fogarty should be given a chance. Ryan "The Luckiest Man To Make $8 Million Alive" Spooner can count his money and work on his investments and bitcoins in the pressbox.

Beleskey going down doesn't clear a roster spot because he wasn't part of the 23 man roster (he was on IR). We currently have 1 roster spot open with Claesson on IR, so if we bring Fogarty up, someone will have to go down when Claesson comes back (assuming no one else goes on IR in the meantime).

Reactions: Joey Bones

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It's pointless arguing this. This board has posters that get these love affairs with players who either don't do anything or are lazy. Buchnevich, Chytil, DeAngelo. Before it was J.T. Miller. I don't care because Chytil will be in the minors soon where he belongs. Metric stats are for people who don't understand what they are watching when they view a player. Try looking at production. You are either productive in certain parts of the game that matter or you aren't. Like goals. Assists. Forcing turnovers. Faceoffs. Hits. Blocked shots. You know, the stuff that Chytil doesn't do at all at this moment.

One of the dumbest stats in hockey is time of possession. This team over the years should prove that. The countless amounts of time they have the puck, cycle forever and do absolutely nothing with the puck is mind boggling.
Absolutely, this isn't football. A potential offense could be as simple as a breakout pass, a shot and subsequent goal. What would that be? 15 seconds of puck possession? Who would know that better than Rangers fans watching Grabs?

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
On 2) Pionk is already getting 20 minutes a night with the NHL team. Just saying. Average time on ice for Rangers D goes like this 1) Skjei 22.59 2) Pionk 20.27 3) DeAngelo 19.03 (though Quinn's not playing him) 4) Smith 18.20 5) McQuaid 18.05 6) Shattenkirk 17.53 7) Staal 17.11 8) Claesson 15.50.

I'm kind of expecting Pionk's average ice time to go up a bit into the 21/22 minute range. One reason it's higher than some of the others is he plays in all situations--5v5, 5v4, 4v5. And it would seem that Quinn trusts him more than Shattenkirk. I just don't see the justification for sending Pionk down--at least not right now. If he were to--DeAngelo would surely play more but to match the minutes and responsibilities that Pionk is handling now Tony would have to play 4v5 and have some kind of success in that.

On 1) a few bad games in a row is a very good reason to send a young player down. They have to know that to stay they need to maintain a standard of play. IMO Chytil seems to me to be struggling with his offensive game and some time in the AHL might do a lot to correct that. So I don't have an issue sending him down right now.
Don't agree to send the kid down, he doesn't deserve to be. Despite any sustained REAL offensive punch that this team doesnt have.....Filip has had numerous individual opportunities, albeit not capatilizing. It's not like he has gone games unnoticed (Buch, Spooner anyone?) . Would LOVE for him to be a little more physical so he would "feel" a bit more in the game and get those juices flowing. I am absolutey certain he will get on the scoreboard regularly.........once he gets his 1st. He has also made some nice passes that should've ended up in the back of the net.

Reactions: egelband

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
It's pointless arguing this. This board has posters that get these love affairs with players who either don't do anything or are lazy. Buchnevich, Chytil, DeAngelo. Before it was J.T. Miller. I don't care because Chytil will be in the minors soon where he belongs. Metric stats are for people who don't understand what they are watching when they view a player. Try looking at production. You are either productive in certain parts of the game that matter or you aren't. Like goals. Assists. Forcing turnovers. Faceoffs. Hits. Blocked shots. You know, the stuff that Chytil doesn't do at all at this moment.

One of the dumbest stats in hockey is time of possession. This team over the years should prove that. The countless amounts of time they have the puck, cycle forever and do absolutely nothing with the puck is mind boggling.
Wow....
Just wow

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
there are a lot of beer leaguers that move better laterally and have more flexibility and athleticism than Brandon Halverson. horrible pick. kid moves the puck phenomenally and was a big kid who blocked a lot of shots. but he cannot move in the crease at all.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
there are a lot of beer leaguers that move better laterally and have more flexibility and athleticism than Brandon Halverson. horrible pick. kid moves the puck phenomenally and was a big kid who blocked a lot of shots. but he cannot move in the crease at all.
I haven't really watched much of Halverson (that I can remember) over the last year-plus. I do remember him in Juniors, he was pretty athletic. He may unfortunately be one of those guys whose bodies begin to stiffen up and decline at 22 instead of 32. Too bad. I wasn't enamored with his pick and the production never match the talent but up until last year I still held out hope that he could become a contributor.

Also, with regard to puckhandling, I know that was always one of the things he was known for--"best puckhandling goalie in the CHL," I remember. However, I always thought he sucked. I mean he had the physical tools to be great with the puck, but constantly hesitated or made terrible decisions. I never really considered it a strength of his. It was one of those times where it seemed like the scouting reports just parroted each other and were all wrong.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

That we offered a contract to Jason Missiaen is a world class indication of how our goalie scouting is kind of hit-or-miss.

We got lucky with Talbot. He played for the only (at the time) southern NCAA hockey team. How much realistically was he scouted?

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
That we offered a contract to Jason Missiaen is a world class indication of how our goalie scouting is kind of hit-or-miss.

We got lucky with Talbot. He played for the only (at the time) southern NCAA hockey team. How much realistically was he scouted?
He had a good goalie name, that was enough.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I remember Beacon souring me on Halverson very early on.

Halvy was a case where, even without seeing him play, it wasn't too difficult to see that his numbers were likely very inflated by the strength of his team.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
What a bust Halverson turned out to be.
I think this is why they keep taking goalies...

Halverson was considered a promising prospect for a while. Then when he turned pro he had nothing.... I think they fear that could happen with everyone else in the system

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Halverson was a kid who did a good job of making adjustments at the lower levels.

I know there's a narrative out there that he was simply a big kid playing on a good team, but I thought he did a good job of adjusting and progressing as teams adjusted and he addressed challenges head on.

I think it's really a matter of how unpredictable taking goalies can be.

Re: Talbot, I think there was a good amount of scouting there. You don't stumble onto an un-drafted goalie playing in Alabama just because it happened to be 2 for 1 beer night.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think this is why they keep taking goalies...

Halverson was considered a promising prospect for a while. Then when he turned pro he had nothing.... I think they fear that could happen with everyone else in the system

But they have a goalie who is playing pro..and is dominating...so i'm confused why again we are drafting goalies before the 4th round.

Halverson looked like a bust from day one. I never was a fan of him.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hartford up 4-3 after 2 periods. Fogarty with his 5th, Lindqvist his 3rd, O'Donnell his 3rd and Meskanen his 2nd. Lias has an assist on Lindqvist's goal. Crawley has 2 helpers. Fontaine, Gettinger, Lindgren and Butler also have assists. Mazanec's in goal.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Wolf Pack lead Bridgeport 4-3 at the end of the 2nd.

Meskanen, Lindqvist, O'Donnell, and Fogarty with the goals.

Crawley with 2A and 2 SOG
Andersson with 1A and 2 SOG
Lindgren and Gettinger each with 1A and 0/1 SOG respectively

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Wolfpack already out of playoff spot. Can we ever hire a good coaching staff there that can get them in the playoffs at least?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad