Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL) / Maine Mariners (ECHL) 2018-19: Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Quinn is doing a good job with the young players. He's got Skjei back on track. He's making Pionk and DeAngelo earn icetime just like the vets. He's got Howden playing some good hockey as a rookie. It's not his fault that Chytil has no intangibles to his game. He needs to develop them in the AHL. I think he needs 2 full years of AHL play before he's NHL ready. Andersson is ready now. So is Hajek. Bigras probably can play in the NHL. The problem is Gorton and his incompetent signings like Shattenkirk, Namestnikov and Spooner. His inability to move Staal off a good year. Gorton is very greedy in the returns he asks for and often screws himself. It's obvious.

Just like the vets.. what a joke. Staal hasn’t shown anything to earn ice time. And ADA without a doubt has shown better stuff in the few games he played than half these vets entire seasons...

Chytil has been better than half the centers and wings.. Quinn just needs to keep playing him and let him learn.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I’ve not seen HFD yet this year but D scoring is — very — usage, environmental and sample size influenced.

Pionk scored 42 percent more pts in the NHL than he scored in the AHL last season just for example.

So many D pts come from really low percentage plays. Either standard passes up ice or long shots or whatever. All hockey scoring is low percentage to start with. It’s really only in a big PP role that you can make your own fortune even in a small sample size as a D.

Hajak should play 2 years in the AHL IMO. The first were he focuses on handling the defense and first pass. And then get a bigger go to role offensively next year when Gilmour is history.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I posted this before, but Hajek's passing / ability to move the puck hasn't looked great to me. It seems like the majority of his passes out of the d zone have gotten tipped / deflected by the other team bc he didn't move the puck fast enough or have been passes of the "just get it out" variety that cost the Wolf Pack control. He's actually gotten a fair amount of PP time, but from what I've seen, really only makes simple, obvious passes and hasn't created high danger scoring chances for his teammates though his passing. It seems to me like he doesn't read the play as quickly as he needs to when the puck is on his stick. I really think it's premature to draw any firm conclusions from his first 8 games in a new, more difficult league, but I think his passing needs to be better than it's been to for him to be an effective NHL defenseman. His skating and defensive play have looked good to me and he does have a good shot that he can get off and has had a few good chances with, so other than the passing, I think he's been good.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Nice to see Lias get points even if he isn't dominating (?).

I think Andersson has been really good and the scoring output isn't a fluke. He doesn't play a flashy style or hang onto the puck for long periods of time but he's just very good at engaging in puck battles, helping his team win control, and making the right plays due to good reads and hands. Think like Zuccarello almost. His assist last night was a perfect example. Fontaine passed the puck too far ahead of him coming out of the zone, but Andersson chased it down and won a puck battle with the Toronto player in the Toronto zone. At that point, there were 3-4 Toronto players back and only one other Hartford player in the zone, but Andersson sauced a really nice, soft pass over one of the Toronto players sticks into space where only O'Gara could skate into it, setting O'Gara up with a good scoring chance he converted on. For what it's worth, I think his skating has looked above average too, although not exceptional. There were a few plays last night where he was able to catch up to an opponent who was ahead of him to create a puck battle.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I posted this before, but Hajek's passing / ability to move the puck hasn't looked great to me. It seems like the majority of his passes out of the d zone have gotten tipped / deflected by the other team bc he didn't move the puck fast enough or have been passes of the "just get it out" variety that cost the Wolf Pack control. He's actually gotten a fair amount of PP time, but from what I've seen, really only makes simple, obvious passes and hasn't created high danger scoring chances for his teammates though his passing. It seems to me like he doesn't read the play as quickly as he needs to when the puck is on his stick. I really think it's premature to draw any firm conclusions from his first 8 games in a new, more difficult league, but I think his passing needs to be better than it's been to for him to be an effective NHL defenseman. His skating and defensive play have looked good to me and he does have a good shot that he can get off and has had a few good chances with, so other than the passing, I think he's been good.

Those things all sound experienced-based to me, considering the player that he was in Juniors.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Which is very strange. The scouting reports I've read on him indicate that his passing and puck movement are a strength. Maybe too afraid to make a mistake early on?

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Which is very strange. The scouting reports I've read on him indicate that his passing and puck movement are a strength. Maybe too afraid to make a mistake early on?

Yeah, I do sincerely think that 8 games in a new league (with a faster pace of play and less time and space) is way too early to draw a conclusion. I'd also curious if anyone else who watches the Wolfpack has noticed the same thing or disagrees with my observations. I could just be wrong, but it feels like the fact that his point output has been weak too, even with PP time, is confirmatory.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Andersson has been really good and the scoring output isn't a fluke. He doesn't play a flashy style or hang onto the puck for long periods of time but he's just very good at engaging in puck battles, helping his team win control, and making the right plays due to good reads and hands. Think like Zuccarello almost. His assist last night was a perfect example. Fontaine passed the puck too far ahead of him coming out of the zone, but Andersson chased it down and won a puck battle with the Toronto player in the Toronto zone. At that point, there were 3-4 Toronto players back and only one other Hartford player in the zone, but Andersson sauced a really nice, soft pass over one of the Toronto players sticks into space where only O'Gara could skate into it, setting O'Gara up with a good scoring chance he converted on. For what it's worth, I think his skating has looked above average too, although not exceptional. There were a few plays last night where he was able to catch up to an opponent who was ahead of him to create a puck battle.

Great posts! Keep 'em coming! :)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

That's great to hear.

I saw Lias dad Niclas play his entire career, Niclas was a tremendous skater. The MSL of the SHL. I definitely hope that Lias can get his skating up a few notches from were it was last season.

Following Lias closely last season I am not at all surprised about him making elite plays. For someone who doesn't have the puck a ton on his stick, he is at an remarkably rate able to really make top plays whenever he get chances. Be it saucing passes, hitting one-timers, beating guys with stick moves and so forth.

I am not about to throw a low cap on Lias potential. He will be very exciting to follow. The key for him though is definitely to keep picking up the pace of his game so that he can get more chances, have the puck more.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Should he? He’s not really a super great prospect
You are correct. He may be good eventually but he’s really in a boat with a lot of other prospects. Seems he has heart and a good head on his shoulders. Which is often the difference. But who knows. We also overrate our prospects often so- as with all these guys- I’ll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Just like the vets.. what a joke. Staal hasn’t shown anything to earn ice time. And ADA without a doubt has shown better stuff in the few games he played than half these vets entire seasons...

Chytil has been better than half the centers and wings.. Quinn just needs to keep playing him and let him learn.

Chytil has been garbage. What are you watching. There is a reason ADA doesn't play. For starters, he probably doesn't practice hard. Quinn's comments today hinted at that. Two, he can't stop anybody on defense. When he shows enough, I'm sure he'll play more. Shattenkirk was benched. Buchnevich who is no rookie at this point was benched. I'm pretty sure a Hayes benching is looming. This love affair for Chytil and DeAngelo is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad