Post-Game Talk: Harry Potter vs. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, Caps @ Preds, 2/9/16, 8 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Barely got past a bad team. 1st line was horrible, Carlson was horrible, 2nd line was bad, 3rd line was awesome. Richards is at least great on the dot.

Ovechkin didn't hesitate to fall, but was a legit trip.

Btw, what's the deal with the Kuznetsov profile pic on the damned nhl.com? They couldn't find a better one?

The Preds are a very good team except for goaltending, and I thought aside from the first period, really dumb penalties, and some soft PKing the Caps looked good. They looked especially good in the third period. They did the anti-turtle and actually carried a lot of the play towards the end of the game.

The first line was shut down but they possessed the puck a decent amount. The second line looked dangerous but also gave up chances. The third line was excellent and the 4th was pretty good. The D was good aside from Carlson and Schmidt who just don't mesh as a pair in my eyes. And Holtby was great.

Not a bad road effort at all.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
No, Higuain has skills. T Bro doesn't, he just has intangibles.
Also, comparing us to RM implies Kolzig was Casillas and Holtby is Navas. Ehh, not a very accurate comparison.

Casillas is Price.

Maybe we're PSG :(

Ovi can either be Ibra, Gerrard or Ronaldo...hmmm.

I let my mind wander maybe a little bit too much. :propeller

Crosby's resurgence reminds me too much of Messi's though.

Please no.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Casillas is Price.

Maybe we're PSG :(

Ovi can either be Ibra, Gerrard or Ronaldo...hmmm.

I let my mind wander maybe a little bit too much. :propeller

Crosby's resurgence reminds me too much of Messi's though.

Please no.

I'm a PSG fan, so I'm good with that :laugh:
Besides, ADM doesn't play for RM anymore. Ovi is Ibra, Kuzy is ADM, Holtby is Sirigu etc.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Kuzy is Mesut Ozil.

As a Gooner, their play is soon similar. It's crazy sometimes

Story of Kuzy's NHL career.

CSJAMi7UYAEWLDA.jpg

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
MoJo comes back from injury, gets 1+2 +3 stat sheet in ~13 minutes of ice-time. 33 points in 45 games.

Wilson gets his career-high in goals, ties career high in points with 30 games left.

Ovechkin gets his 31 goals, Backstrom still PPG while sleepwalking.

Holtby picks up his 34th win with 30 games left.

Williams now has 37 points already.

Burakovsky continues his point streak.

Orpik and Beagle close to returning with rest of the team fully healthy.

Barber and Vrana tearing up the AHL. Bowey and Djoos looking good recently.

Caps have all their picks in the next 3 drafts apart from that 3rd rounder in 2016.

The rich gets richer. Not much to complain right now.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
4th straight W. Give up 12 shots total in the final 2 periods to yet another team fighting for a playoff spot. Doom.

I love all the soccer references. Kuzy = Ozil is easily the most accurate. Both are unassuming, unimposing physically but absolute magicians at their craft. The ultimate tacticians.

NoLookPass

Jan 16, 2014
Bunch of negative Nancys, what I see is a great team playing their "B" Game and still winning, if it wasn't for two Flukey goals they would have won by 3.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
I don't think the game was nearly as bad as others do. Other than the dumb penalties, the Caps were very solid. Carlson had another poor game (seriously, he needs to have his minutes cut), but other than him, I was pleased with how we played at even strength.

OV was quiet, but overall the forwards did what they needed to. There were very few 5 vs. 5 instances where the Caps were hemmed in.

Chorney was awesome.

Overall, if the Caps cut down on the bonehead penalties, they are in good shape.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Good start for this road trip. Next, Wild, I think they have just 1 win in 10 games. Hope we will take 2 points there too.

Please don't compare Kuznetsov with Mesut "I disappear in the big games" Ozil. :)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Carlson doesn't look like he's ready. He was a lot better last year and this year in the games prior to his injury. If this is how Carlson plays after a long layoff, I can't imagine how terrible Orpik will be when he returns.

Jun 15, 2007
anyone want to tell me when the Caps officially clinch a playoff birth? I know it's like 99.99999% right now, but when is it official?

this is freakin crazy :handclap:

https://www.nhl.com/standings

It won't be for a while at least. Earliest is March I think. Usually you need 95 points to make it but that won't officially clinch. There's a logjam between 2nd and 7th this year so clinching will take longer than usual.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
It won't be for a while at least. Earliest is March I think. Usually you need 95 points to make it but that won't officially clinch. There's a logjam between 2nd and 7th this year so clinching will take longer than usual.

yeah, I see it's a complete carrousel in the wildcard spots and I don't think that it's going to change.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Carlson doesn't look like he's ready. He was a lot better last year and this year in the games prior to his injury. If this is how Carlson plays after a long layoff, I can't imagine how terrible Orpik will be when he returns.

we still have 30 games left, no need to panic.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
anyone want to tell me when the Caps officially clinch a playoff birth? I know it's like 99.99999% right now, but when is it official?

Possible point totals for current non-playoff teams:

NJ: 115
Mtl: 112
Car: 113
Ott: 112
Phi: 115
Buf: 104
Clb: 102
Tor: 107

It'll be a little while yet until these teams are technically eliminated

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

It looks like their magic number for first in the division is 41 points.

Their magic number for last in is 33.

I think.

For those unaware of magic numbers and what they mean. Caps need to gain or have other teams (rangers, for other teams it would be less) miss out on that amount of points to guarantee that spot.

So basically any combination of about 20 wins by caps or losses by rangers guarantees 1st (more or less) in metro.

Any combination of 17 wins by caps or losses by devils and flyers would more or less guarantee a wildcard.

** Teams below those teams could still usurp the Caps, but they have smaller numbers associated with them.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Slow start but got better as the game went on and really shut it down when they needed to.

Love that they don't panic if they give up a lead. Sense of calm all year that they know they will come back and win or hold on and win no matter what.

Carlson was fine. He is looking better and its expected after a layoff like he had.

Every team is going to bring their A game against the Caps. All the pregame quotes revolve around a "measuring stick game" so they get shot out of a cannon to open the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad