Hard to believe it has been 5 years

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
It is too bad, being a Bruins fan is hard when the best players leave the game due to cheap shots, I am looking at you too Samuelsson.

I loved the Lucic-Savard-Kessel line, it was dynamic in every way.

Oh well, you can't change the past, hopefully Pasta becomes as good as Savard was in his prime, with more of a shooting tendency though.

Everyone gets theirs to some degree.

:D:naughty:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Absolutely not, but it would show that the team gave a **** about it. Did you like that the team just stood around and looked on as he was carted off, or would you have rather them jump Cooke? - Screw penalties and that garbage, I don't care who you are, when you see a teammate get destroyed like that and stretchered off, you do something about it. Straight up.

For the millionth time: THEY DIDN'T SEE THE HIT. It happened behind the play. The only person who saw it was Ryder, who has about as much fight in him as a butterfly.

And, again, the game was in Pittsburgh, not Boston. They didn't show it on the big screen. We saw it a million times on replay, getting angrier and angrier. The Bruins didn't - all they saw was a teammate lying on the ice, in obvious distress, and all they cared about at that moment was him.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Varies by arena. When Sequin was injured last month the replay was shown in Dallas.

It is probably a good idea NOT to show them. Can you imagine what TD Garden would have been like if they had shown Rome's hit on Horton in the 2011 SCF?

If it hurts the home team they'll usually won't show a replay. Since this game was in Pittsburgh no way were they going to replay it. If the game was in Boston they probably would have. Things might have been different (in terms of a reaction) if the game was in Boston.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
For the millionth time: THEY DIDN'T SEE THE HIT. It happened behind the play. The only person who saw it was Ryder, who has about as much fight in him as a butterfly.

And, again, the game was in Pittsburgh, not Boston. They didn't show it on the big screen. We saw it a million times on replay, getting angrier and angrier. The Bruins didn't - all they saw was a teammate lying on the ice, in obvious distress, and all they cared about at that moment was him.

Gear down, big rig. Take it easy, relax a bit.

He had to fight Shawn Thornton the next game and then that was it. THAT WAS IT.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

So what do you want, a vendetta? A price on his head? For someone to fight him every minute he's on the ice? Only he wouldn't fight - he'd get attacked, he'd keep his gloves on, and his attacker would get 2, 5 and 10. What good does that do?

As for the Bruins "not doing anything," what about the rest of the league? Half the teams in the NHL have had teammates assaulted by Cooke. Why aren't they all attacking him too?

Because it's futile, and they would only hurt themselves and their teams. If it would have an effect on his behavior, it'd be a great idea. But it never has, and it never will.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
One of my major regrets in deciding to follow this team so late is that I missed the entirety of Savard's career in the spoked B. Strange to think that he was a Rangers rookie when I first got into hockey. Back then he was seen as a talented but frustrating player, and there was doubt whether he could put it all together. After coming to Boston, it took a while for me to be sure that this was the same guy, the first few times I (distantly) heard his name spoken of in conjunction with the team. And then I didn't watch.

It's pretty amazing that the Bruins managed to survive the loss of their first line center and still go on to have the success they have had over the past half-decade, but oh, what could have been.

I love it when he still refers to the team as "we" on twitter, though it breaks my heart a little bit too.

Love this celly :

I was at that game. Ugh. Miss Savvy. His vision on the ice is in my mind incomparable to any player today.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

That's pretty standard for guys who like to follow "the code." He threw a bad hit against the Bruins, he answered for it. Everyone moves on except the fans. I wish Thornton would have pounded him more, and you can tell he wanted to, but after that fight you can't expect Cooke to keep having to defend himself for it. I'd love it he did, though.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
So what do you want, a vendetta? A price on his head? For someone to fight him every minute he's on the ice? Only he wouldn't fight - he'd get attacked, he'd keep his gloves on, and his attacker would get 2, 5 and 10. What good does that do?

As for the Bruins "not doing anything," what about the rest of the league? Half the teams in the NHL have had teammates assaulted by Cooke. Why aren't they all attacking him too?

Because it's futile, and they would only hurt themselves and their teams. If it would have an effect on his behavior, it'd be a great idea. But it never has, and it never will.

Why are you getting so worked up over this?

I would have rather seen the Bruins jump on him and start hammering him. **** penalties and that ****, send a message to him. It was funny, before that Lucic got hit from behind in a Dallas game by Sean Avery and Marc Savard was the first one in there throwing punches.

Regardless of the situation, a guy like Cooke needs to be hit hard and punished. The Bruins were a one and done against the guy. They sent out Shawn Thornton who has never hurt anyone in a fight to fight. He goes out there and gives him a chance to square off, don't do that, you go grab the guy and start pounding him. What if Cooke simply said "No man, i'm good" - Would Thornton still do anything?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
That's pretty standard for guys who like to follow "the code." He threw a bad hit against the Bruins, he answered for it. Everyone moves on except the fans. I wish Thornton would have pounded him more, and you can tell he wanted to, but after that fight you can't expect Cooke to keep having to defend himself for it. I'd love it he did, though.

I respect the code, I really do... but there's a time and place where a code goes out the window, and this situation was one of them.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I still can't believe he's only had to answer the bell once against the Bruins. They should be making him pay every time they play that ******. I wish Lucic, Chara or McQuaid were on the ice when that hit happened, back then Lucic and Chara would have went nuts.

Then again, this new Bruins team would probably sit down and have a chat with Cooke rather than actually do something.

Nope. cooke is not liked in Boston and the B's don't like him either. The refs keep a watch on the players when cooke is playing Boston. It makes me sick that he seems "protected" by the guys in stripes. :rant:

It would not have mattered who was on the ice ( I think Looch was) because they did not see the hit until after the game.

They saw Savvy down and that was their main concern.

sigh...I am happy fans remember Savvy. I just miss watching him and it makes me sad. He loved being on the B's

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Seems like whenever someone brings up no penalty being called, someone else jumps in to say it wasn't illegal at the time.

It was a freakin elbow to the head! In what world is that legal?

The NHL legal at the time, which is to say, no penalty at all for head shots. It isn't much better now. Shameful.

There's that word again.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I'll never forget that assault (not a hit) - it's burned into my brain, and yes, Ryder was the only Bruin behind the play, and the only witness. Everyone else was down ice, and the guys on the bench were looking down ice as well, following the puck.

It's just too bizarre that it was Ryder of all people, because, as I've said before, Cooke could have assaulted Ryder's mother in the same manner and Ryder would have done nothing. It's just not his nature. It's like expecting a guppy to be a shark.

He actually did go after Cooke and shove him a bit, which unsurprisingly startled Lucic, who began to react to the pushing/shoving, but then turned around and saw Savard, and I can't say as I blame anyone at that moment for just forgetting everything else and concentrating on Savvy.

Meanwhile, we at home see replay after replay on TV. But the game was in Pittsburgh. There's no way in hell they replayed that on the big screen.

Cooke should have gotten a MASSIVE suspension. The "it's not a penalty" malarkey is nothing but a truckload of horse****. There IS a penalty on the books - intent to injure. The NHL should have whacked Cooke over the head with that rule and sat him on his *** for the rest of the season, including the playoffs. And then kicked him out of the league for his next infraction.

Sure, an absolute beatdown of Cooke by Thornton would have been satisfying (and Shawn I know tried, but sometimes fights don't go the way you want - Cooke wasn't just going to stand there and let his brains be beat in), but in the end, it wasn't going to bring Savard back, and it wasn't going to deter Cooke. The only thing that hurts a psychopath like that is getting hit in the wallet. It shouldn't be up to the players to protect themselves from guys like that, but the league. The NHL has the real power, and they shouldn't be afraid to use it.

Meanwhile, Savvy will always be a Bruin. I know he feels that way, and I'm glad he does.

Agree.

Goy post:)

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Piece of garbage finally got what he deserved.

Not quite. He needs more than that because he did not learn anything.

Last I heard he wasn't playing. Maybe his crappy career is over....Not the way I wanted to see cooke go out :naughty:...I can only think about what I want for that ass....not allowed to type it here.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Not quite. He needs more than that because he did not learn anything.

Last I heard he wasn't playing. Maybe his crappy career is over....Not the way I wanted to see cooke go out :naughty:...I can only think about what I want for that ass....not allowed to type it here.

Well, he got the punch he deserved, if not the beat down. He should have been booted from the league. We'll have to settle for him playing his way out of it.

chicoutimicucumber

Aug 4, 2009
I respect the code, I really do... but there's a time and place where a code goes out the window, and this situation was one of them.
Don't want to wade into the middle of this debate, but... the Thornton/Orpik incident, anyone? That was the one time Shawn broke with the code--and he (and the Bruins) paid dearly for it. Unfortunate, don't agree, etc but that may be the likely fallout for what you're suggesting here.

Piece of garbage finally got what he deserved.
Not quite as satisfying, but since we're all depositing videos here, the 'ahh' moment from earlier this season:

:

I wish the Wild's broadcast version of this was still up, where you could see Weber mouthing "oh my godd" plain as day as he was flinging the gloves off in disgust.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Right. But was elbowing not a penalty? Or as Artemis mentioned, intent to injure?

I've said it before - it doesn't matter. Whether Cooke hit Savard with his elbow, stick, forearm, head, skate or a tire iron, the penalty was obviously intent to injure. I don't blame the on-ice officials for missing it as it happened behind the play and they didn't see it, but for the NHL disciplinary committee to disregard it is inexcusable. Today, with the changes since, I don't doubt Cooke gets a long suspension.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Right. But was elbowing not a penalty? Or as Artemis mentioned, intent to injure?

One could certainly argue the same. Unfortunately, the NHL at that time was outrageously lax about that stuff, and though it's marginally better now, they still can't bring themselves to bring down the hammer.

Again, it will probably takeaway brain dead player - a star, says my cynical self - until the NHL gets serious. Effed up. Don't understand it.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Don't want to wade into the middle of this debate, but... the Thornton/Orpik incident, anyone? That was the one time Shawn broke with the code--and he (and the Bruins) paid dearly for it. Unfortunate, don't agree, etc but that may be the likely fallout for what you're suggesting here.

Not quite as satisfying, but since we're all depositing videos here, the 'ahh' moment from earlier this season:

:

I wish the Wild's broadcast version of this was still up, where you could see Weber mouthing "oh my godd" plain as day as he was flinging the gloves off in disgust.

Couldn't access the vid, but will check.

PER Thorton-orpik: in the minority, but I didn't think it was that bad. No, he shouldn't have done it, but I've seen much worse in terms of intent, and result.

PS That incident, along with the Stewart beat down, poor fourth line play last season, and the water bottle bit likely contributed to ST being cut loose.

chicoutimicucumber

Aug 4, 2009
PER Thorton-orpik: in the minority, but I didn't think it was that bad. No, he shouldn't have done it, but I've seen much worse in terms of intent, and result.
I actually feel similarly. But then I'd missed watching the broadcast as it happened (was listening to Gouch/Beers on my mobile... had to control myself standing in line at a movie theatre when Z scored the winner), and only viewed the incident later, after it had blown up and the rest of hockey world was treating Shawn like a leper. So I don't know if that's colored my view of it incontrovertibly.

PS That incident, along with the Stewart beat down, poor fourth line play last season, and the water bottle bit likely contributed to ST being cut loose.
Yes, like I said, he paid dearly for that. Obviously he shouldn't be a lineup regular here anymore, but it hurts to think this was one of the things that took him away from Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad