Hard to believe it has been 5 years

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
5 years ago yesterday this happened

I was inpatient that day at Brigham and Women's and I set off every alarm at the nurse's station. :rant:

If Savard hadn't been injured I can't help but think we would have picked up at least one more Cup the past 5 years.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
And 5 years later, nothing has changed. Shame on the NHL/NHLPA for being a bunch of cowards in their refusal to address the problem.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Knew what this was going to be as soon as I looked at today's date.

Still makes my blood boil. I wish I could have seen more of Savard and appreciated his game. He scored two of my favorite goals of all time, and the one that, in my opinion, sparked the beginning of the B's resurgence.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
That brings back a lot of hate. I was so angry at the league, and later the team for the lack of response to that hit. I do hope that the Bruins have a Marc Savard night sometime soon to thank him and let him know that he will always be known as a Bruin.

I was so mad after that game, I actually wanted to see someone do that to Sidney Crosby, thankfully I've calmed down a lot in my old age. However that hit still shakes me to the core every time I see it. No place in professional sports for that kinda of play.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
That brings back a lot of hate. I was so angry at the league, and later the team for the lack of response to that hit. I do hope that the Bruins have a Marc Savard night sometime soon to thank him and let him know that he will always be known as a Bruin.

I was so mad after that game, I actually wanted to see someone do that to Sidney Crosby, thankfully I've calmed down a lot in my old age. However that hit still shakes me to the core every time I see it. No place in professional sports for that kinda of play.

What bothers me most is that nobody got the message to Lucic to take care of things on the ice, right away.

Obviously he didn't see it, but somebody on the bench or ice did. If that happened in any men's league game I've played in, teammates would immediately tell whoever on the ice was best suited to take care of things, to do so.

Still infuriating.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Didnt expect to react as emotionally as I just did watching that. Sometimes I think the NHL needs to get it's **** together. So unnecessary :(

chicoutimicucumber

Aug 4, 2009
One of my major regrets in deciding to follow this team so late is that I missed the entirety of Savard's career in the spoked B. Strange to think that he was a Rangers rookie when I first got into hockey. Back then he was seen as a talented but frustrating player, and there was doubt whether he could put it all together. After coming to Boston, it took a while for me to be sure that this was the same guy, the first few times I (distantly) heard his name spoken of in conjunction with the team. And then I didn't watch.

It's pretty amazing that the Bruins managed to survive the loss of their first line center and still go on to have the success they have had over the past half-decade, but oh, what could have been.

I love it when he still refers to the team as "we" on twitter, though it breaks my heart a little bit too.

Love this celly :

Last edited by a moderator:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Bergy was so pissed off .

Wides was buds with Savvy. I love the videos of nice passes from Wides to Savvy and then Marc leaping onto the arms of Wides to celebrate.

Say what you want but none of the players on the ice saw that except maybe Ryder. If you were watching the play you may have missed it as well.

I miss Savvy. I will forever hate matt cooke....for that hit and many more on other players.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
I still hate Ryder to this day because he was the only Bruin on ice who saw the hit, yet did nothing but a half ass shove

Mr. American Pie Orpik steps in front of Ryder when everybody gets to the corner of the ice.

I wouldn't expect more than a cursing match out of Ryder. We don't all see the same things on the ice.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
What bothers me most is that nobody got the message to Lucic to take care of things on the ice, right away.

Obviously he didn't see it, but somebody on the bench or ice did. If that happened in any men's league game I've played in, teammates would immediately tell whoever on the ice was best suited to take care of things, to do so.

Still infuriating.

They don't do those kind of replays at the arenas. The players most likely didn't see the replay until after the game. Bergy was totally pissed off. You can see that because he went right over the boards on to the ice even though he wasn't on the ice when it happened.

The next game against the Pens there were warnings from the NHL and refs about anything that might happen.

There is NO WAY that cooke should ever be allowed on the ice again because of the number of players he has injured. The NHL ****ed that up big time.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That was the last ever game the Bruins played at the Igloo.

The Pittsburgh announcers were not happy with Cooke either.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
the lack of reaction by anyone still pisses me off. lucic should have dropped his gloves and pummeled him to a pulp

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
They don't do those kind of replays at the arenas. The players most likely didn't see the replay until after the game. Bergy was totally pissed off. You can see that because he went right over the boards on to the ice even though he wasn't on the ice when it happened.

The next game against the Pens there were warnings from the NHL and refs about anything that might happen.

There is NO WAY that cooke should ever be allowed on the ice again because of the number of players he has injured. The NHL ****ed that up big time.

You're definitely right about the replays, and likely right that nobody saw it clearly. I'm just still annoyed by the lack of immediate response.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Varies by arena. When Sequin was injured last month the replay was shown in Dallas.

It is probably a good idea NOT to show them. Can you imagine what TD Garden would have been like if they had shown Rome's hit on Horton in the 2011 SCF?

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
You're definitely right about the replays, and likely right that nobody saw it clearly. I'm just still annoyed by the lack of immediate response.

The mention of matt cooke gets me so wound up.:rant: When we are at games and something bad happens they will not show the replay. Often it is away from the play so fans at the games don't see it...Players don't either.

I am pretty sure the refs let it be known that nothing better happen to Sid or another player.

I wanted to bring in my baseball bat to the next game that cooke was at in Boston but they wouldn't let me.:naughty:

All I can do is shout at cooke and let him know how I feel. He knows me.

I was not for taking runs at Sid. I was fine with checking cooke through the glass.

Everyone who sits near me knows my feelings about that ass. The guys who work for the B's know too :laugh:

I know I should "get over it" but I really dislike cooke and hate seeing him continue his "accidents ' year after year. The NHL should feel shame that he is still in the NHL and any team that employs him deserves to loose.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Still to this day fills me with unadulterated rage when I see it. The league has been a ****ing joke to let that cowardly POS play after all the cheap shots he's done. Glad Roy brought up that asshat's BS again this week a couple times.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Varies by arena. When Sequin was injured last month the replay was shown in Dallas.

It is probably a good idea NOT to show them. Can you imagine what TD Garden would have been like if they had shown Rome's hit on Horton in the 2011 SCF?

I DID see that one (Rome on Nate) ...Gave me the chills. The look on Bergy and Looch's face was scarey. They were really angry. I think most of the B's and fans saw that hit. It was right after Nate released the puck so everyone's eyes were there. The word came fairly quickly that Nate was moving and they thought that a good sign.

I was also there when Jones nailed Bergy. People in the crowd were praying and crying. He laid there for so long. That was the worst game for me. The B's were totally off their game and so worried . Muzz kept asking if there was any news.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
That was the last ever game the Bruins played at the Igloo.

The Pittsburgh announcers were not happy with Cooke either.

The NHL should've kicked Cooke out of the league after that blatant head shot, but there wasn't even a freakin' penalty called on the play, and that piece of **** is STILL playing.

#unbelievable

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I remember the players saying they didn't see the replay until they went to the dressing room. I do remember looking at the board and seeing his face and I went ashen.

There is no doubt in my mind that hit wound up winning the Cup for the Bruins as the Bear had been poked.

I DID see that one (Rome on Nate) ...Gave me the chills. The look on Bergy and Looch's face was scarey. They were really angry. I think most of the B's and fans saw that hit. It was right after Nate released the puck so everyone's eyes were there. The word came fairly quickly that Nate was moving and they thought that a good sign.

I was also there when Jones nailed Bergy. People in the crowd were praying and crying. He laid there for so long. That was the worst game for me. The B's were totally off their game and so worried . Muzz kept asking if there was any news.

chicoutimicucumber

Aug 4, 2009
Just watched both the nesn clip (for the first time in a while), and then the pittsburgh version. Oh jeez that was hard to watch...the way his hands were moving. Also got caught up momentarily and forgot the headshot rule change came later... loathe the fact that Cooke wasn't immediately thrown out of the game, and we had to look at his face the whole time as they were getting the stretcher out.

Would like to hear what Bergeron was saying to Cooke and then Crosby there.

I honestly don't have anything against the Minnesota Wild, but as long as they employ Cooke, I never ever want to see them make the playoffs, where he can do more of his maiming and ending of careers.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
And 5 years later, nothing has changed. Shame on the NHL/NHLPA for being a bunch of cowards in their refusal to address the problem.

It's better, but still the case that someone - probably a star - will have to die before this ***** is properly addressed.

Absent that sick prospect, nothing will change without unpaid, double didget suspensions for the player, and heavy, punitive fines for him, his coach, and their management staff. I'd love to include the owners, but let's stick to obtainable goals.

PS Always hated Lemiux (& his CHB , btw) back when, largely because he was so good, and the B's had no answer. But also because he whined about clutching & grabbing while other offensive stars refrained, was just fine with Ulfie as a teammate, and even back then, threatened to take his puck, as it were, and go home.

A great player who also came back from cancer, I must add. But the same guy whined about admittedly over the top antics per the infamous Islander game (sic) & again warned he would leave the league. And yet prior to this, the same guy - surprise! - remained silent regarding the Savard hit & continued to employ that piece of *****. What a guy!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Referees are human and also both the Boston and Pittsburgh announcers didn't see it when it happened.

That said - the NHL should have an active referee in the situation room that can call a penalty on something the officials at the arena missed.

Just watched both the nesn clip (for the first time in a while), and then the pittsburgh version. Oh jeez that was hard to watch...the way his hands were moving. Also got caught up momentarily and forgot the headshot rule change came later... loathe the fact that Cooke wasn't immediately thrown out of the game, and we had to look at his face the whole time as they were getting the stretcher out.

Would like to hear what Bergeron was saying to Cooke and then Crosby there.

I honestly don't have anything against the Minnesota Wild, but as long as they employ Cooke, I never ever want to see them make the playoffs, where he can do more of his maiming and ending of careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad