Hard to believe it has been 5 years

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Man, I still miss Savvy so much. His comeback in game 1 against Philly may be my favorite Bruins moment ever. It gives me chills every time I watch it. The sheer joy in his face and the celebration is just perfect.

Deservedly got his name on the cup and will forever be in Bruins lore. Don't want to define his legacy by this stupid hit. I'll remember the good times.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
None of us can.

It took awhile for the NHL to even consider him a repeat offender because he was never cited for this.

The even more ridiculous thing is just a week or so later on a Sunday NBC national TV game he head shots a NYR guy as blatantly as possible. That should have been the point, if not the Savard hit, where the NHL banned him permanently.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Just watched both the nesn clip (for the first time in a while), and then the pittsburgh version. Oh jeez that was hard to watch...the way his hands were moving. Also got caught up momentarily and forgot the headshot rule change came later... loathe the fact that Cooke wasn't immediately thrown out of the game, and we had to look at his face the whole time as they were getting the stretcher out.

Would like to hear what Bergeron was saying to Cooke and then Crosby there.

I honestly don't have anything against the Minnesota Wild, but as long as they employ Cooke, I never ever want to see them make the playoffs, where he can do more of his maiming and ending of careers.

I can't say all of the bad things that I hope happen to that POS. You bring up a great point about wishing that Minne never making the playoffs. I'll take that a step further: I hope Cooke "takes out" one of the Penguins best players in the next year or two...Now that would be justice, watching Stuper Mario wining and crying that Cooke doesn't belong in the league...:naughty:

Andrew83

Dec 15, 2010
Boston
Savard signed such a team-friendly contract too in order to stay here long-term. Just $4 million a year for one of our best players. That's only a little more than Reilly Smith just got.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
10 days later this happened

Really don't know who saw what - supposedly, Ryder was the only one - but the lack of response was shameful & really upset me at the time. Guess you can't act without knowing what happened, but surely everyone in the NHL knew the kind of "player" Cooke was.

It should have been a team wide ass kicking next game. Instead, it was an antiseptic, "Let's move on, shall we?" thing from our designated pugilist. Still feel it was pathetic.

Going to go watch that. Then I'm going to watch the far more satisfying Dallas & MTL beat downs.

Good times.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Really don't know who saw what - supposedly, Ryder was the only one - but the lack of response was shameful & really upset me at the time. Guess you can't act without knowing what happened, but surely everyone in the NHL knew the kind of "player" Cooke was.

It should have been a team wide ass kicking next game. Instead, it was an antiseptic, "Let's move on, shall we?" thing from our designated pugilist. Still feel it was pathetic.

Going to go watch that. Then I'm going to watch the far more satisfying Dallas & MTL beat downs.

Good times.

I had assumed that after highlights of the hit got around, every game VS Pitt for the next few seasons would be a brawl-fest and Cooke would be getting his face smashed in. Instead, nothing.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
The NHL should've kicked Cooke out of the league after that blatant head shot, but there wasn't even a freakin' penalty called on the play, and that piece of **** is STILL playing.

#unbelievable

Seems like whenever someone brings up no penalty being called, someone else jumps in to say it wasn't illegal at the time.

It was a freakin elbow to the head! In what world is that legal?

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Good times.

I'll never forget that assault (not a hit) - it's burned into my brain, and yes, Ryder was the only Bruin behind the play, and the only witness. Everyone else was down ice, and the guys on the bench were looking down ice as well, following the puck.

It's just too bizarre that it was Ryder of all people, because, as I've said before, Cooke could have assaulted Ryder's mother in the same manner and Ryder would have done nothing. It's just not his nature. It's like expecting a guppy to be a shark.

He actually did go after Cooke and shove him a bit, which unsurprisingly startled Lucic, who began to react to the pushing/shoving, but then turned around and saw Savard, and I can't say as I blame anyone at that moment for just forgetting everything else and concentrating on Savvy.

Meanwhile, we at home see replay after replay on TV. But the game was in Pittsburgh. There's no way in hell they replayed that on the big screen.

Cooke should have gotten a MASSIVE suspension. The "it's not a penalty" malarkey is nothing but a truckload of horse****. There IS a penalty on the books - intent to injure. The NHL should have whacked Cooke over the head with that rule and sat him on his *** for the rest of the season, including the playoffs. And then kicked him out of the league for his next infraction.

Sure, an absolute beatdown of Cooke by Thornton would have been satisfying (and Shawn I know tried, but sometimes fights don't go the way you want - Cooke wasn't just going to stand there and let his brains be beat in), but in the end, it wasn't going to bring Savard back, and it wasn't going to deter Cooke. The only thing that hurts a psychopath like that is getting hit in the wallet. It shouldn't be up to the players to protect themselves from guys like that, but the league. The NHL has the real power, and they shouldn't be afraid to use it.

Meanwhile, Savvy will always be a Bruin. I know he feels that way, and I'm glad he does.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
All I will say is that piece of S**t should have never been allowed to play any hockey because he is not a hockey player he is a viscous hockey player with only one intention on his mind and that is to injure players purposely.

I hope he rots in hell and that karma one day will hot him in the face like a ton of bricks.
I never wished ill will to any player but for some reason he is one player that I would have loved to have seen injures badly so he could feel the pain he caused on so many other players.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'll never forget that assault (not a hit) - it's burned into my brain, and yes, Ryder was the only Bruin behind the play, and the only witness. Everyone else was down ice, and the guys on the bench were looking down ice as well, following the puck.

It's just too bizarre that it was Ryder of all people, because, as I've said before, Cooke could have assaulted Ryder's mother in the same manner and Ryder would have done nothing. It's just not his nature. It's like expecting a guppy to be a shark.

He actually did go after Cooke and shove him a bit, which unsurprisingly startled Lucic, who began to react to the pushing/shoving, but then turned around and saw Savard, and I can't say as I blame anyone at that moment for just forgetting everything else and concentrating on Savvy.

Meanwhile, we at home see replay after replay on TV. But the game was in Pittsburgh. There's no way in hell they replayed that on the big screen.

Cooke should have gotten a MASSIVE suspension. The "it's not a penalty" malarkey is nothing but a truckload of horse****. There IS a penalty on the books - intent to injure. The NHL should have whacked Cooke over the head with that rule and sat him on his *** for the rest of the season, including the playoffs. And then kicked him out of the league for his next infraction.

Sure, an absolute beatdown of Cooke by Thornton would have been satisfying (and Shawn I know tried, but sometimes fights don't go the way you want - Cooke wasn't just going to stand there and let his brains be beat in), but in the end, it wasn't going to bring Savard back, and it wasn't going to deter Cooke. The only thing that hurts a psychopath like that is getting hit in the wallet. It shouldn't be up to the players to protect themselves from guys like that, but the league. The NHL has the real power, and they shouldn't be afraid to use it.

Meanwhile, Savvy will always be a Bruin. I know he feels that way, and I'm glad he does.

Bingo. It's always insane when the Pens fans bring up the 'not illegal hit' garbage.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009

I would go gone one step further and say that this piece of S*** should have been thrown out of the NHL league and never allowed to play again in the NHL.
Look what he did down the road to other players and always with intent to injure the player involved.
A real A**H*** that has no place playing hockey.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The only way this crap will end is the NHL has to work it out with the NHLPA that a player can remain suspended until the injured player is cleared to play again.

I am happy the Bruins got his name on the Cup for 2011.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
You all knew it was coming...

The comment "Every now and then I come back to this just for the 'ahh' feeling" -- I know what this guy is talking about.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
The only way this crap will end is the NHL has to work it out with the NHLPA that a player can remain suspended until the injured player is cleared to play again.

I know what you mean, but the problem with that method of discipline is that sometimes the most deliberatley vicious hits result in little time missed, and vice versa.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
ugh. Makes me sick to my stomach when I think about Cooke still playing in the NHL.

Has there been a player in the modern era who has done more damage to the league than Matt Cooke?

I don't know how a GM, Coach or Player can stand the thought of having Cooke on their team.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I know what you mean, but the problem with that method of discipline is that sometimes the most deliberatley vicious hits result in little time missed, and vice versa.

Sigh. Sadly the day will come when a player dies on the ice. :(

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I still can't believe he's only had to answer the bell once against the Bruins. They should be making him pay every time they play that ******. I wish Lucic, Chara or McQuaid were on the ice when that hit happened, back then Lucic and Chara would have went nuts.

Then again, this new Bruins team would probably sit down and have a chat with Cooke rather than actually do something.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Sigh. Sadly the day will come when a player dies on the ice. :(

Eddie Shore nearly killed Ace Bailey on the ice by hitting him in the back and flipping him over. Bailey suffered a skull fracture. Know what the punishment was? A 16-game suspension.

Despite the cluster**** that was the Cooke assault on Savard (and the fact that he continues to be employed), things ARE better, partly because of that assault. Even though head shots bring out the predictable "keep your head up!" comments (even when it's not the victim's fault) he tolerance level for them is dropping fast.

Some call "wussification," I call it progress.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I still can't believe he's only had to answer the bell once against the Bruins. They should be making him pay every time they play that ******. I wish Lucic, Chara or McQuaid were on the ice when that hit happened, back then Lucic and Chara would have went nuts.

Then again, this new Bruins team would probably sit down and have a chat with Cooke rather than actually do something.

So what would "do something" do? Bring Savard back? Obviously not. Teach Cooke a lesson? Hah. That guy has had the snot pounded out of him countless times, and it's had zero effect. He. Doesn't. Care.

The only entity that has power over Cooke is his employer (the Wild) and the NHL, because the only thing he cares about is his paycheck. Hunting him down would only result in penalties, fines or suspensions for whoever tries it.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
It is too bad, being a Bruins fan is hard when the best players leave the game due to cheap shots, I am looking at you too Samuelsson.

I loved the Lucic-Savard-Kessel line, it was dynamic in every way.

Oh well, you can't change the past, hopefully Pasta becomes as good as Savard was in his prime, with more of a shooting tendency though.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
So what would "do something" do? Bring Savard back? Obviously not. Teach Cooke a lesson? Hah. That guy has had the snot pounded out of him countless times, and it's had zero effect. He. Doesn't. Care.

The only entity that has power over Cooke is his employer (the Wild) and the NHL, because the only thing he cares about is his paycheck. Hunting him down would only result in penalties, fines or suspensions for whoever tries it.

Absolutely not, but it would show that the team gave a **** about it. Did you like that the team just stood around and looked on as he was carted off, or would you have rather them jump Cooke? - Screw penalties and that garbage, I don't care who you are, when you see a teammate get destroyed like that and stretchered off, you do something about it. Straight up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad