Hard not to like the Leafs this year, no?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Why exactly would he have done that? There were two Bruins on Grabovski already in Krejci and Bartkowski.

You think his thought process should have been to help triple team the 5'11" 180lbs Russian instead of covering the gaping hole in the center of the ice in case the other two guys couldn't handle him?

Often when Krejci is mentioned in a negative light on a play I feel like I'm in crazy town... this is just such an occasion.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2012020459&navid=sb:recap

100% correct. Lucic went towards the middle to cover there since DK and Bart had it seemingly under control.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Why exactly would he have done that? There were two Bruins on Grabovski already in Krejci and Bartkowski.

You think his thought process should have been to help triple team the 5'11" 180lbs Russian instead of covering the gaping hole in the center of the ice in case the other two guys couldn't handle him?

Often when Krejci is mentioned in a negative light on a play I feel like I'm in crazy town... this is just such an occasion.

Why wouldn't Lucic make a big hit and clean out the puck carrier who just beat him one on one? Gee, I wonder. Hes not know to be the smartest player on the ice and I doubt he was thinking about his defensive responsibilities in that situation. If anything, he wasn't thinking at all, just going through the motions like 3/4 of the team lately.

I find his lack of effort disturbing when hes set to be paid 6 million next year. When you carry the big paycheck you have much more expected out of you.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Coach Steve Kasper once let Neely and Stevens dress but had them ride the pine the entire game.. I wouldn't mind it if CJ did the same with Lucic and Horton for a game.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Was interested to see this thread pop up as a life long Leafs fan.

One of the best things to happen to this team was you guys absolutely slaughtering us game in game out post Kessel deal. The Leafs were soft as butter, and playing you guys was a reality check every time. I almost welcomed it, because I knew that Wilson and his god awful run and gun style was not a style that would win in the east anymore, and as long as we played you guys a few times a season it would be reinforced.

My God I was right. Wilson gets axed, Carlyle comes in, and the team that Burke actually did build was allowed to come together.

Burke takes a lot of heat, but the fact is if he had of fired his old college buddy Wilson when the time was right (a long time before he did) he would still be here today. Being loyal to a fault was always a knock against Burke, and it undid him here.

Nonis has cleared out the dead wood and Carlyle has given Orr a new lease on life. Our D still sucks but is serviceable thanks for the second tier guys like Fraser, who was also a Burke pickup.
Its not all on Kessel now to score with the emergence of Kadri which takes the heat off of him.

The style of hockey the Bruins has played the last few years is the style I love. It is because of you guys we are seeing the awesome hockey being played right now conference wide.
I was so happy to see you guys spank the Canucks, it was like the Leafs did it.

I haven't been a fan of the Leafs on ice product since the early nineties with Pat Burns behind the bench and a big six defence that was killer. Tough, defence first hockey with a couple exciting guys up front who could change the game when given a chance. The Sundin era for me was not the same, in hindsight it was terrible as well. I hate that Sundin for Clark trade the way some of my fellow Leafers hate the Kessel trade.

I missed last nights game due to a recent move and no television, but my drinking partner in crime foolishly bet $200 against the Leafs last night (followed up by losing 100 in a poker game later..ha!)

Winning last night was a big deal for me.

Its nice to finally see we can be competitive with the top tier again, its been a while.

We won't get so far as to slaughter Vancouver in the playoffs, but you guys probably will. And by all means, do it again.

</rant>

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Was interested to see this thread pop up as a life long Leafs fan.

One of the best things to happen to this team was you guys absolutely slaughtering us game in game out post Kessel deal. The Leafs were soft as butter, and playing you guys was a reality check every time. I almost welcomed it, because I knew that Wilson and his god awful run and gun style was not a style that would win in the east anymore, and as long as we played you guys a few times a season it would be reinforced.

My God I was right. Wilson gets axed, Carlyle comes in, and the team that Burke actually did build was allowed to come together.

Burke takes a lot of heat, but the fact is if he had of fired his old college buddy Wilson when the time was right (a long time before he did) he would still be here today. Being loyal to a fault was always a knock against Burke, and it undid him here.

Nonis has cleared out the dead wood and Carlyle has given Orr a new lease on life. Our D still sucks but is serviceable thanks for the second tier guys like Fraser, who was also a Burke pickup.
Its not all on Kessel now to score with the emergence of Kadri which takes the heat off of him.

The style of hockey the Bruins has played the last few years is the style I love. It is because of you guys we are seeing the awesome hockey being played right now conference wide.
I was so happy to see you guys spank the Canucks, it was like the Leafs did it.

I haven't been a fan of the Leafs on ice product since the early nineties with Pat Burns behind the bench and a big six defence that was killer. Tough, defence first hockey with a couple exciting guys up front who could change the game when given a chance. The Sundin era for me was not the same, in hindsight it was terrible as well. I hate that Sundin for Clark trade the way some of my fellow Leafers hate the Kessel trade.

I missed last nights game due to a recent move and no television, but my drinking partner in crime foolishly bet $200 against the Leafs last night (followed up by losing 100 in a poker game later..ha!)

Winning last night was a big deal for me.

Its nice to finally see we can be competitive with the top tier again, its been a while.

We won't get so far as to slaughter Vancouver in the playoffs, but you guys probably will. And by all means, do it again.

</rant>

It should be,,,its been a long time coming and must build a bunch of confidence...

Burke should be commended for getting JVR and Lupul and Gardiner from the Ducks...He was a big Kadri and MacArthur guy too...He left you guys in good shape...

Adding McClement, Komorov, McLaren, Fraser and a rejuvenated Orr has really worked out well...Bruins were a great model to follow.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
A mostly positive thread about Toronto...I'll take it.

I know there's this rivalry between the teams and fanbase (not helped along by a particular trade that won't be named) but it almost feels like a big brother/little brother thing.

Bruins constantly putting the Leafs down but all we want to do is be just like you!

*shifty eyes*

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Coach Steve Kasper once let Neely and Stevens dress but had them ride the pine the entire game.. I wouldn't mind it if CJ did the same with Lucic and Horton for a game.

That was one of the worst coaching decisions in franchise history. Not sure the team president would take kindly to see a boston coach do it again

Kessely Snipes

Great White North
Oct 16, 2011
Regina, SK
Leafs fan here coming in peace...

This thread is very nice to see, I love how the Leafs have been standing up for themselves and playing physical.

When Burke became GM and talked about building the team, I was hoping he would build a team that would play exactly like the Bruins. Watching you guys win the cup in 2011 made me even happier, a team relying on that kind of play (along with the skill obviously) could win it all. I am hoping the Leafs continue to play like this for years to come.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Not only that, but all I hear is guilt is a great motivator. Yet Lucic gets beat, and glides back into the zone. If he hustled, when Grabo cut back, lucic could of cleaned him out. Yea krejci should of taken the body, no argument from me, but Lucic was beat twice on that play.

Krejci can't lift a stick and it's Lucic's fault? Yeah, there's no pattern around here. Grabovski was allowed to stand there like he was toying w/ my 6 yr old.

Typical.

Lucic was covering the point and he got torched. He's not a Dman. I expect him to get torched. Seidenberg is a D-man, and he got torched twice last night for goals.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
You need to rewatch that play. Grabovski deeked him out of his jock. Lucic didn't let up on him, he couldn't catch him.

Krejci was the passive one on that play, how that's even arguable I'm not sure. Grabovski was stopped and Krejci went right through him.

A simple forehand backhand deeked him out of his jock lol? No excuse for missing that check. Eventhough Krejci should've done better to make up for Lucic's mistake, I didn't expect Krejci to lay someone out. Both messed up.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
A simple forehand backhand deeked him out of his jock lol? No excuse for missing that check. Eventhough Krejci should've done better to make up for Lucic's mistake, I didn't expect Krejci to lay someone out. Both messed up.

The smart play would have been not trying to line him up at all, and to stay w/ him, get body position.

Lay him out? How a/b lift his stick? DK should understand that concept well.

meenamjah

Apr 8, 2012
I've never really hated the Leafs. I think it's a lot easier to hate them when you live it in Canada. Haha. Honestly, it seems like they're mostly irrelevant. The times that they have been on top they havent inspired hate like the habs and sabres.

Hell...I got a kick out of Domi. He was entertaining. Ill always owe him for KOing Ulf with that sweet sucker punch.:nod:

hmm... been hearing that a lot. what's the reason Ulf is hated by Bruins fans?

thornton22

Mar 13, 2013
Boston
hmm... been hearing that a lot. what's the reason Ulf is hated by Bruins fans?

He effectively ended Cam Neely's career with a knee-on-knee hit. And it wasn't a one time, accidental thing, he was known for that sort of ****. Neely wasn't the only player who's career he ended, there were about 5 or so, but he's known for his hit on Neely because Neely was one of the greatest players to ever wear a Bruins jersey and one of the best power forwards of all time. He was kind of the Matt Cooke of the 90s, only worse. He was also a coward that never fought, despite being ashore agitator.

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
I agree. But if Lucic didn't miss his check, Grabo wouldn't have been in the offensive zone. Simple.

to be honest

a lot of people miss checks on Grabo, he is very speedy and elusive

when defending against him you must maintain good body position and stay in the shooting to neutralise him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad