OT - NO POLITICS HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Province of BC announced restaurants and liquor stores have to stop all alcohol sales at 8 pm, just another kick to the nuts of great restaurant owners who are literally hanging on for life to stay open. Below is something written by a restauranteur in the States and I loved it

This is brilliant! Written by a restaurant owner:
As I walk into the grocery store with 30 other people at the same time, I think about my restaurant which allows parties of 6 total, and meticulously spaces out reservations by 10 minutes ensuring guests that aren’t from the same party do not arrive at the same time.
As I take a cart, that has had just the handle sanitized, I think about my restaurant which invested thousands of dollars (so far) on ink and paper to print disposable menus to ensure no two guests touch the same menu.
As I walk over to the produce aisle with 15-20 other people around me, I’m reminded of the strict “no mingling / no walking around the restaurant other than to use the washroom or enter/exit” policy we have in place and the 6ft distance between tables which has cut our capacity in half.
As I watch the woman next to me pick up apples with her hand, check them over closely and then put them back on the open pile and repeats this until she finds the perfect apples — the same thing that all other people that day who want an apple will then do and then put those apples into their mouths, I think about the two step sanitation process in place at my restaurant for all cutlery and dishes and glassware in between every single guest, and the sanitation of every surface guests touch (tables, chairs, salt and pepper shakers, etc).
As I watch the man in the next aisle over ignore or not notice the directional arrows on the ground, I think about my restaurant and the constant redirecting our staff does of guests - by locking certain doors, blocking areas off and the work my team does to simply not allow guests to walk where they are not supposed to.
As I walk down the cereal aisle, I see a person with their mask off so they can talk on the phone, and I’m reminded of my restaurant where our masking policy has lost us so much business.
As I check out at the cashier, I use my debit card to pay and see the plastic film covering the terminal. It was not sanitized after the person before me used it. I am reminded of the sanitizer used on the debit terminals in between each guest every time at my restaurant.
As I stand at a crowded exit trying to leave, I’m reminded of the detailed contact tracing in place at my restaurant that records the name, phone number, table number, arrival and exit time, as well as the server and section the guest sat in that is in place at my restaurant— not one of those pieces of information was taken from any customer here.
As I get into my car and watch all these people leave the store, I wonder which person will visit my establishment after contracting covid at this grocery store, and I wonder why on earth my restaurant will be blamed as the source.
Restaurants are being targeted as the “source” of Covid infections because we are one of the ONLY industries required to provide contact tracing.
Someone with Covid could have gone to Costco, Home Depot, Walmart, the Mall food court....any grocery store, etc. Yet it’s the restaurant that took their detailed information that will be forced to close and deemed responsible for the infection.
You want to blame restaurants for the spread after thousands of dollars investing in equipment, training and stricter policies than ANYWHERE ELSE?!
PROVE
1f44f_1f3fb.png
IT
1f44f_1f3fb.png

#saverestaurants

So, as someone who has earned his living for the past 42 years in this industry I feel I need to give another perspective. All while respecting that there are many valid points here, it looks at it from a singular angle.

It really is a horrible thing that when the dust clears on all of this we will be left so many restaurants and bars that will not survive what covid has dropped on their door step. Businesses, some that have been run for generations, will disappear in the aftermath of Covid. Livelihoods squandered , blood sweat and tears all for not.

The questions raised here are very fair questions raised by a restauranteur who did his outmost to create the safest environment he could for his clientele and society as a whole. He obviously spent lots of money to install safety measures that a year ago we would have never even dreamed necessary and it was all for not. And that really sucks . And it's not fair to someone like him who pays the price for the others. Yes there are others.

The sad reality is that many if not most restauranteurs are not going to take the measures that this restauranteur took. I can speak from my own experience where I literally had to advise authorities of the unspeakable practices I witnessed at my work place. Where authorities had to visit night after night just to convince the operator to take down peoples names and phone numbers so contact tracing could be done if necessary. It took literally 4 visits and a final waning before that finally sunk in.

As a staff we all wore face shields. Day by day , week by week the shields became less effective. What started out as a face shield started to look more and more like a cap with a really long sun shield as the masks were worn higher and higher every day. Why? Because the hotter the weather got , the less we could breathe. We couldn't wear face masks either, it was simply too hot in a kitchen that has no air conditioning . As time went on the shields were nothing more than window dressing for our clientele because as far a safety went, they provided nothing of the kind. That was pretty much the extent the operators went to and when one observed it objectively it was basically the equivalent of nothing. We were operating with what effectively was zero safety measures. The scariest thing about all this is that we weren't the worse offenders

Though regardless of all that, there is the one most very fundamental practice that covid protocol requires and that is the wearing of a mask. Eating and wearing a mask is simply not compatible. Regardless of everything else you do, your patrons will be dining mask-less. They will be doing it in a closed environment, for an extended period of time, the perfect environment for spreading of covid. Sadly those are the facts, regardless of what protocols or safety measures you put in place, without getting into all the behind the scene shit that happens in most restaurants.

It really sucks for those who have put in years and years of hard work, blood ,sweat and tears but as someone in the industry restaurants are and should be closed at this time. Life goes before $$$ every time. We always have and always will sort those things out later.

It does not take into account that hospitals across the country have reached the cracking point were if things get much worse, choices of who gets to live and who will die will have to be made. Most people don't consider these things until they or someone they love fall prey.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Holy crap is that why I keep doing that? I have no idea why I kept clicking Calgary....muscle memory lol

Those were the exact two words I used when I noticed the new rollout - "muscle memory".

But, playing devil's advocate, it at least shows that the board is keeping up with the times. I mean, it would be odd to see the wrong divisions once the season starts, right? As if the higher ups didn't know there was a change.

Plus, as a bonus, it gives you one extra place to look up the divisions. We all know the North and East by now, hopefully, but with all the rumors that floated around a couple weeks ago, I couldn't keep STL/MIN/DAL exactly straight.

We're a step ahead of the NHL here - their standings still show 2019-2020, and their teams listing in the menu still shows the old conferences/divisions.

Reactions: LouJersey

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
New Year; same COVID; (Maine CDC Daily update)

700 NEW Caseload on 1/1/21; 24,901 total cases; 4 deaths on the inaugural day of 2021, total 351 since 3/10/20

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Idk if it’s toxic masculinity or just how I grew up but the intense way I feel for my girl scares the shit out of me. I hate feeling vulnerable. It’s a weakness in protecting yourself.

But when I look at her I just see everything I want.

haha I like that I can say stuff like this on here cuz no one knows me. Don’t feel like that much a weenie.

Reactions: Trizz617

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
So, as someone who has earned his living for the past 42 years in this industry I feel I need to give another perspective. All while respecting that there are many valid points here, it looks at it from a singular angle.

It really is a horrible thing that when the dust clears on all of this we will be left so many restaurants and bars that will not survive what covid has dropped on their door step. Businesses, some that have been run for generations, will disappear in the aftermath of Covid. Livelihoods squandered , blood sweat and tears all for not.

The questions raised here are very fair questions raised by a restauranteur who did his outmost to create the safest environment he could for his clientele and society as a whole. He obviously spent lots of money to install safety measures that a year ago we would have never even dreamed necessary and it was all for not. And that really sucks . And it's not fair to someone like him who pays the price for the others. Yes there are others.

The sad reality is that many if not most restauranteurs are not going to take the measures that this restauranteur took. I can speak from my own experience where I literally had to advise authorities of the unspeakable practices I witnessed at my work place. Where authorities had to visit night after night just to convince the operator to take down peoples names and phone numbers so contact tracing could be done if necessary. It took literally 4 visits and a final waning before that finally sunk in.

As a staff we all wore face shields. Day by day , week by week the shields became less effective. What started out as a face shield started to look more and more like a cap with a really long sun shield as the masks were worn higher and higher every day. Why? Because the hotter the weather got , the less we could breathe. We couldn't wear face masks either, it was simply too hot in a kitchen that has no air conditioning . As time went on the shields were nothing more than window dressing for our clientele because as far a safety went, they provided nothing of the kind. That was pretty much the extent the operators went to and when one observed it objectively it was basically the equivalent of nothing. We were operating with what effectively was zero safety measures. The scariest thing about all this is that we weren't the worse offenders

Though regardless of all that, there is the one most very fundamental practice that covid protocol requires and that is the wearing of a mask. Eating and wearing a mask is simply not compatible. Regardless of everything else you do, your patrons will be dining mask-less. They will be doing it in a closed environment, for an extended period of time, the perfect environment for spreading of covid. Sadly those are the facts, regardless of what protocols or safety measures you put in place, without getting into all the behind the scene shit that happens in most restaurants.

It really sucks for those who have put in years and years of hard work, blood ,sweat and tears but as someone in the industry restaurants are and should be closed at this time. Life goes before $$$ every time. We always have and always will sort those things out later.

It does not take into account that hospitals across the country have reached the cracking point were if things get much worse, choices of who gets to live and who will die will have to be made. Most people don't consider these things until they or someone they love fall prey.

Great post and I agree, thankfully, the owners of the place I work are one`s who , from day 1, have done all they could to ensure staff are all equipped with what they needed but that isn`t how every place works. I`m in year 32 in the biz so like yourself, have seen pretty much everything, worked for too many who didn`t care about their staff before Covid, likely less when covid started

I`m of the belief, like you, all restaurants need to be closed, you`ll never convince me I`m in a job that is essential for the general public to have access to. Much the way I feel about places like Best Buy or many other retailers.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Well I haven't slept for 3 nights due to pain coming from my SI joint . I went to urgent care today. I will have to go for physical therapy but to ease the pain I am on pain meds.

Getting old is challenging.

I hope to be sleeping soon.
:( Hope you feel better soon!

Reactions: Ladyfan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Had cinnamon rolls for breakfast, now watching WJC while organizing my crochet stash and supplies. Figure I should probably try to be remotely productive before I go back to work Monday. :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Idk if it’s toxic masculinity or just how I grew up but the intense way I feel for my girl scares the shit out of me. I hate feeling vulnerable. It’s a weakness in protecting yourself.

But when I look at her I just see everything I want.

haha I like that I can say stuff like this on here cuz no one knows me. Don’t feel like that much a weenie.

I have experienced personally that the real sign of weakness for me is hiding that vulnerability and holding back how I feel. I was someone who pushed any and every possible feeling and emotion down, much with the help of an immense amount of drugs and drinks. Now, I can walk in the door and say to my wife after say a rough shift "I need about a half hour to be quiet if you don`t mind, tough shift and simply need to unwind a bit before we talk"

Simple statement, clear to her that I need to relax a bit before we talk. These days I no longer people please and I always speak my truth, how others choose to handle that truth isn`t my business. To thine own self be true

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I restarted my barre workouts this morning and the snapping, cracking and popping coming from both my ankles felt so good. Now if only I could get my left hip to crack.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I may be scared shitless of opening up and am not used to happiness. Technically my girl and I are already engaged. But I feel that we only txted and talked about it. Today when I get her from work I’m going to do it right. One knee with a ring. Idk how to buy rings or jewelry honestly the first thing I have bought for someone like this. Excited and nervous but I am ready. She’s the only one I want

Attachments

• FB090288-FFC0-4E11-9E5E-ECB429E186DC.jpeg
    FB090288-FFC0-4E11-9E5E-ECB429E186DC.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad