Hansen Punishment - Suspended 1 Game

Haka

Aug 14, 2007
I looked at this maybe 10 times albeit only through the crappy views Sportsnet provided... but I'm pretty bewildered how Hossa actually got hurt on this play. They weren't even moving. Both players were stationary. Yes there was contact, but I can't see there being any more contact than a game in a game of jackpot/dead or alive. And Hossa was wearing a helmet. Furthermore, it doesn't appear to be the elbow which made contact, but below the elbow or the forearm area.

I hope he's ok, but the play looks so much like a nothing play.... I don't think Hansen would normally get a penalty there if Hossa didn't stay down.

That being said because Hossa went down, who knows what will happen. I'm a big fan of his, hope he's ok.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I looked at this maybe 10 times albeit only through the crappy views Sportsnet provided... but I'm pretty bewildered how Hossa actually got hurt on this play. They weren't even moving. Both players were stationary. Yes there was contact, but I can't see there being any more contact than a game in a game of jackpot/dead or alive. And Hossa was wearing a helmet. Furthermore, it doesn't appear to be the elbow which made contact, but below the elbow or the forearm area.

I hope he's ok, but the play looks so much like a nothing play.... I don't think he usually even gets a penalty there.

That being said because Hossa went down, who knows what will happen. I'm a big fan of his, hope he's ok.

Sometimes things look less serious on TV, especially with the high number of slow motion replays we have now.
Also, Hossa has had a history of concussion.
Thus, even the slightest or even most innocent play could trigger another one.
One never know with these things.

After watching the play numerous time, I don't know if the hit was intentional or not.
I can see it both ways.
Hansen was clearly not able to get to be the puck before Hossa...
At the same time, Hansen is competitive and crazy enough to really try to get the puck before Hossa.
It was kind of like a jumpball situation.
Sometimes accidents happen.

I do think Hansen will probably get off scot-free, but I can also see the other way because Hossa is a star player, and the league always protects its stars.
Nevertheless, even if the league decides to suspend Hansen, I will be surprised if he gets more than one game.

dsedin

May 29, 2011
this is semi related:

what really irked me is the weise fight..weise makes a clean hit on a hawk player, another player comes in ..drops his gloves and starts throwing haymakers, weise is essentially coerced into a fight he doesnt want to be a part of ..and for good reason...an instigator is not enough imo...this is the second time Weise has had to fight someone in the same manner this season (sorry I can't recall who it was,but it was recent)

I want to make a distinction..had the 2nd hawk player come in and asked weise to go, and weise complied, it's a different story, but dropping your gloves and punching an unsuspecting /unwilling to fight player is absolutely dirty and needs to garner much more attention

it doesn't matter if weise is a 4th liner that is expected to throw hits, fight etc., he's still a hockey player

no one seems to be too concerned about plays like that though, I guess it's all fair game until someone is injured..

TheDiver*

Speaking of Jannik Hansen...I don't think Dave Nonis gets enough credit for signing him. I believe it was the same week they traded for Luongo.

dsedin

May 29, 2011
[youtube]cfZgdDCnbGQ[/youtube]

i think this is a comparable play..crosby with a concussion history ..cooke /savard incident lingering in the background...can you say krejci had malicious intent to injure crosby in retribution for an earlier incident? no..both players are going for the puck , and there is going to be contact there..elbowing minor/borderline reckless play at most, but no ill intention here

shouldn't be a suspension or a fine but the league isn't very consistent on its rulings and we could see him get a fine or a suspension, we'll see

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I cracked up reading the main board where they were trying to prove Hansen was a headhunter. 5 years in the league and the best they could come up with

1. Hitting a bruin down away from the puck, no head shot, no injury

2. A bruin skating over Hansen stick while Hansen was talking to a ref in a different direction. Then attempting to milk it as a groin shot.

3. Playing shuffleboard with a ref.

If that guy making the case for arresting a serial killer, he'd build his case around 2 parking tickets and littering fine. :laugh:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
What they've got is video of a perfectly thrown elbow to a vulnerable guy's head and a claim it was unintentional.

What's shocking is that it's Hansen! He is almost the last guy I'd have guessed to be a closet assassin, but there he is throwing an elbow to the back of Hossa's head.

Claims made by Viggie that it wasn't even a penalty are just silly. The officials were clearly drunk. They couldn't manage an icing call, but they are sharp and insightful viewers of Hansen's flying elbow? Hahaha!

Given the history of the clubs and the recent nastiness with Kieth and Sedin I doubt the "it was an accident" defense gets much mileage. If more camera angles surface and show what the existing ones suggest, Hansen should be given a severe suspension, twenty games or so. Hansen seems like a decent guy, maybe he'll admit to a moment of poor judgement?

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
So Hansen goes in there and says, I was just reaching for the puck, it isn't my fault Hossa has a fragile noggin, I barely touched him. I think he gets away with it.

Linters*

Hossa should get a stern talking to about how it is not wise to continue to try and break other player's elbows with his head :sarcasm:

pdefenestrator

Dec 12, 2006
Raleigh, NC
1 - I think when someone gets hurt as a result of a reckless hockey play, there should be suspension, regardless of intent. Ergo, I think Hansen should get suspended.

If suspensions are handed out based on the severity of the injury, and not on the severity/egregiousness of the act that caused (or could have caused) the injury, the result will simply be increased diving and the faking of injuries.

Last edited:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Didn't look intentional, but it was a reckless play and he absolutely forearmed Hossa in the head whether he meant to or not. He should get 2-3 games for sure.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

I hope he's ok, but the play looks so much like a nothing play.... I don't think Hansen would normally get a penalty there if Hossa didn't stay down.

The odds of getting an injury increase exponentially when someone is hit and doesn't expect it/brace for it. My guess is Hossa either has a concussion or a neck injury of some sort.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
If Hansen gets anything more than a strong worded talking to I might consider quitting the NHL as a fan. How Giordano gets away with a fine for a nasty slew foot and this is reviewable? What a joke.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
What they've got is video of a perfectly thrown elbow to a vulnerable guy's head and a claim it was unintentional.

What's shocking is that it's Hansen! He is almost the last guy I'd have guessed to be a closet assassin, but there he is throwing an elbow to the back of Hossa's head.

Claims made by Viggie that it wasn't even a penalty are just silly. The officials were clearly drunk. They couldn't manage an icing call, but they are sharp and insightful viewers of Hansen's flying elbow? Hahaha!

Given the history of the clubs and the recent nastiness with Kieth and Sedin I doubt the "it was an accident" defense gets much mileage. If more camera angles surface and show what the existing ones suggest, Hansen should be given a severe suspension, twenty games or so. Hansen seems like a decent guy, maybe he'll admit to a moment of poor judgement?

The bolded is exactly the point as to why he probably won't get anything close to what you're expecting in your last paragraph. How many times has Hansen done anything like this in his career? History of the player in question is taken very very seriously when deciding on the punishment for any given incident.

As far as I know, Hansen's entire history of borderline plays is a couple checks from behind, a couple hard slashes and 1 shove of a ref. No head shots, or dirty elbows at all. Has he even been suspended ever?

Nov 1, 2011
Didn't look intentional, but it was a reckless play and he absolutely forearmed Hossa in the head whether he meant to or not. He should get 2-3 games for sure.

In a league where Keith gets 5 games for intentionally elbowing a guy nowhere near the puck you can't tell me Hansen gets anything for jumping up to get a puck an having a mid air collision.

Hansen's getting 0 games unless the NHL goes Aaron Rome on him.

Put yourself in Hansen's shoes, you are focused on the puck and you jump up with your arm to go for it. Another guy jumps up right in front of you and your arm (note: not elbow) hits him in the head. Basically incidental contact.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
In a league where Keith gets 5 games for intentionally elbowing a guy nowhere near the puck you can't tell me Hansen gets anything for jumping up to get a puck an having a mid air collision.

Hansen's getting 0 games unless the NHL goes Aaron Rome on him.

So because they made the wrong call on Keith (who should have gotten the rest of the season and 2 playoff games), they should make the wrong call in perpetuity any time the Canucks are involved in supplementary discipline? That's ridiculous.

I don't care if Hansen meant to do it. It was a reckless play and he forearmed a defenseless player in the back of the head, causing injury. It wasn't a terrible play, but he should get 2 games. Players need to be in control of themselves on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad