Hansen Punishment - Suspended 1 Game

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
IMG_0342%255B1%255D

Those actually look good.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Is he actually having symptoms? If so that's really unfortunate, but you can't just suspended people because the play resulted in an injury. It's hockey for FFS! It's a contact sport. There wasn't anything illegal with the ''hit''.

I think that he was laid out flat on an incidental contact play and missed the rest of the game was evidence enough, that is unless they were just being over cautious with him.

LandofLincoln*

Hawks fan here

I don't think Hansen should be suspended. Obviously, he tried making contact with Hossa. I'm not sure he intended to hit him in the head. When plays like that happen you just try to make contact and don't really think about it.

When making a play like that Hansen is aware he has a 50% chance of hitting him in the head or a 50% chance of hitting him in the shoulders. I don't see any malicious intent in that hit what-so-ever. However, hits to head sometimes need to be accounted for and I think there is a 50/50 chance the commissioner does something.

What ever is decided for punishment to me will be fair. Five games would be crazy.

Hawks fans were saying 5 games because that is what Keith received. This hit was not even close to the hit Keith delivered. Keith's intent was obvious.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
the same as mitchell got for knocking Toews silly, same as Torres got for knocking Seabrook out, nothing.

It was an accident!!!!

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Two things

1 - I think when someone gets hurt as a result of a reckless hockey play, there should be suspension, regardless of intent. Ergo, I think Hansen should get suspended.
2 - I don't think Hansen gets suspended. No discipline history or problems, hockey play, intent, etc. League history suggests this is a slap on the hand, if anything. If there is any discipline, its because someone made it political, a la Aaron Rome.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
At the very worst, I think you could say Hansen was careless. If the league runs with that, I'd say a $2500 fine.

However - I think it was completely unintentional and Hansen was clearly going for the puck, and did not mean to make contact with Hossa's head. Through that lens, I feel he should get nothing.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
there was no intent, and didnt look like there was any force to it.
i lost what little respect i had left for toews tonight.
its not hansens fault hossa has a skull as soft as a marshmellow.

id be worried if i were chicago. one of his teammates might sneeze next to him and concuss him.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Hossa was skating backwards without looking. What happens when you drive backwards without looking? BLAM! you hit the car behind you, and you're at fault.

Hansen gets nothing except a mercy-penalty at the demand of crybaby Toews.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Heart says nothing, head says a fine since it's Hansen and he plays for the Canucks.

I agree. Likely to going to get a fine because it's the Hawks and Hossa. Heck, the refs in the SJ/Chi game didn't give Toews the mandatory game misconduct for instigating the fight with Thornton with a visor, so who knows about league discipline these days.

You saw Weber's intent last playoffs when he smacked Zetterberg's head into the glass, but nothing occurred. Intent is big on the part of the NHL.

StringerBell

Hossa was skating backwards without looking. What happens when you drive backwards without looking? BLAM! you hit the car behind you, and you're at fault.

Hansen gets nothing except a mercy-penalty at the demand of crybaby Toews.

Yup. They were both pretty clearly looking at the puck, not each other.

mStNFJq.gif

TheDiver*

NONE.

Hossa, however should get the Oscar for best actor. He went down like he was hit by David Booth's crossbow.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I voted for a cookie. His feelings are probably hurt because he's upset that Marian is injured. I know he didn't mean to hurt Marian. Maybe a cookie will make him feel better.

Hope Marian isn't badly injured and is able to come back quickly.

Agreed. Maybe a cookie for Hossa too. No cookies for Toews though!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's got to be worrying for Blackhawks fans that a nothing play like that would re-trigger concussion symptoms for Hossa. It looks like he might not have fully recovered, 9 months later.

It's basically this.

Hansen may be the Honeybadger, but he isn't that sort of dirty player with a long rap sheet. It's an opportunity to lay the body on the other teams' star player and he takes it. That's what's kept him in the league and made him the player he is. Unfortunate accident that his elbow makes contact with Hossa's head. Even more unfortunate that it appeared to do significant damage to Hossa.

But ultimately...if that's the sort of play that sends Hossa into another concussion funk...that's really scary. And honestly...i think you re-instate those games taken off the original Torres suspension. Torres is the reckless ******** responsible for this whole thing. Without the concussion history and result...that's an absolute nothing play. Just sucks that it was Hossa and appeared to be seriously damaging.

That's on Torres imo. A guy whose sole purpose as a hockey player when he inflicted the initial severe concussion on Hossa with a cheapshot...was to fly around the ice injuring people. That kind of **** doesn't belong in the game. And it's sad to see a worthless ***** like that causing this kind of lasting damage to a great player and a good guy.

I'd watch Hossa play over Torres every day of the week, and i don't think there are any reasonable fans of the game who would disagree.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
If Hansen gets suspended, Keith should have a season long suspension for his Dank hit and Todd Bertuzzi should be sentenced to death.

Only cookies for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad