Proposal: Hanifin to EDM for Nugent-Hopkins and 10th overall pick.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Ah, it’s you. Do you have another offer of ‘things I found in my couch + Gallagher’ for Draisaitl, or are you just complaining?

You're a pretty funny dude.

Rask is Strome. Strome is Rask. Finkle is Einhorn. Einhorn is a man.

We don’t need Rask because we have him already. Time is a flat circle.

I disagree and think that Rask, while not great, is considerably more useful than Strome. But I like your Ace Ventura and especially your True Detective references.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I have never understood that statement. Especially for an experienced player like RNH. What makes him more valuable to Edmonton then any other team? Does management not scout nhl players and see the value in them?

Its not that gm's don't know how good he is its that what they're willing to move for him won't effect the team in a positive manner like he can.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I disagree and think that Rask, while not great, is considerably more useful than Strome. But I like your Ace Ventura and especially your True Detective references.

I was more going for humour value than anything - Rask isn’t a bad player we just don’t particularly need him.

Glad someone caught them!

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

X- GP 71 G 14 A 17 P 31 (25 years old)
X - GP 82 G 14 A 21 P 34 (24 years old)

Who would you rather have?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Edmonton fans won’t like it, I can guarantee you that.

Deal is closer than Oiler fans realize.

Hanifin has another year remaining and will remain a RFA.

RNH has 2 years until he reaches UFA. A similar scenerio as Duchene, limited term is not worth the risk for trading a possible 1D. 10th OA is for the Canes to inherit this risk.

Both teams pass on the deal.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Ya, that makes perfect sense. Draft Hanifin 5th overall and then after his elc when he’s developing pretty nicely you trade him for a pick 5 spots lower. Great asset management.

You guys should probably trade Nurse for the 12th overall. I would say that’s pretty close.

You act like Hanafin deserves to retain his draft position.
There are a dozen players from that year that any GM would now pick ahead of him.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think the Oilers would be very interested in Hanifin, but the offer would probably revolve around Klefbom, not RNH. Unless Hanifin is requesting a trade, I can't see why they'd move him though.

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Canes would prefer to move Faulk and continue to let Hanifin develop. If Edmonton needs a RHD then a base of Faulk for Puljujarvi or #10 works much better?

I'd probably add a bit to Faulk for Puljujarvi. I think Aho could push him to his max potential.
I'm not so sure the Canes would rather move Faulk and let Hanifin continue developing. Faulk offers a particular skill that no other Canes blueliner/prospect has, plus he's a RHD. Hanifin is good, an excellent skater, has improved each year and has potential to be very good/great. But his skill set can likely be replaced by Bean in the near future. Fleury could likely take his position in the lineup. Hanifin is more easily replaced at present than Faulk.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
You’re completely missing the point.

The point is that Canes are considering moving Hanafin at the end of his ELC. I think you're missing the point...Carolina doesn't feel he's worth what it will take to sign him

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Ya, that makes perfect sense. Draft Hanifin 5th overall and then after his elc when he’s developing pretty nicely you trade him for a pick 5 spots lower. Great asset management.

You guys should probably trade Nurse for the 12th overall. I would say that’s pretty close.

The funny thing is they probably are both fair value. If anything the 12th overall for Nurse is an overpayment.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
You’re assuming things now. Carolina is not shopping Hanifin.

Sounds like they are... Along with most the team.

Newsflash : Carolina now has a meddling impatient owner... A GM they hired from within, and a coach they did the same with. There are problems in Carolina..

Bet everyone but Aho and maybe Slavin are being shopped.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If I were Carolina I'd hold onto Hanifin, I personally think they don't know how valuable he is in terms of having on your team. I truly think he could be their captain one day for a long time if they get it all together.

If any team(s) I want getting him, it'd be Buffalo, Florida, Minnesota or Colorado. Would say Winnipeg, but we have Morrissey, Niku, and Kulikov currently on our LHD. Samberg is also looking like a total stud.

I just don't think Hanifin would work out in Edmonton, but I could be wrong like I was with Taylor Hall carrying a team. Although, I just don't think he should be a captain, just an alternative that has his responsibility set to only producing.

I also love how I always tell myself not to read Oiler threads, I don't but I just saw this as an opportunity to talk about Hanifin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jarey Curry

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I sometimes question have people hit their heads or something when theyre talkin about the likes of Hanifin and try to get them fairly cheap? It will take long time to dman develop into top pairing role in the nhl and even longer when the dman plays in a team where hes not appreciated enough to be put in a learning position. What if he becomes a top 15 dman in this league sooner or later?

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Poolparty is significant prospect w/substantial upside. Not a given, but like I said, Faulk today is not what he was 2 years ago.

The other deal is a pick in a deep draft.

Is he though? He's got pedigree right now......and that's about it. He's a risk no matter how you spin it.

Flip of the coin as to whether he figures out the NA game or ends up going the other way.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sounds like they are... Along with most the team.

Newsflash : Carolina now has a meddling impatient owner... A GM they hired from within, and a coach they did the same with. There are problems in Carolina..

Bet everyone but Aho and maybe Slavin are being shopped.

Read the interviews from Waddell. They aren’t “shopping” everyone. Any player is available for the right price, but he’s said repeatedly they are looking to move a couple of guys who’ve been there a while to change the culture.

If they are moving Hanifin, it isn’t because they don’t think he’s worth his upcoming contract, it’s because they have Slavin, Fleury, Bean, Carrick and Hanifin on the LHD side and he’d likely bring back the best return.

I hope they don’t move him because he still has the most skill and highest potential of all the Canes D and I want to see him with a new coach.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Read the interviews from Waddell. They aren’t “shopping” everyone. Any player is available for the right price, but he’s said repeatedly they are looking to move a couple of guys who’ve been there a while to change the culture.

If they are moving Hanifin, it isn’t because they don’t think he’s worth his upcoming contract, it’s because they have Slavin, Fleury, Bean, Carrick and Hanifin on the LHD side and he’d likely bring back the best return.

I hope they don’t move him because he still has the most skill and highest potential of all the Canes D and I want to see him with a new coach.
I agree with everything you said above.
However Hanifin isn't worth the 10th and RNH. That is an overpayment. As 'Canes fans you might argue that it would take an overpayment to move Hanifin. While this is debatable, I can guarantee you Edmonton is not the club to make any such offer. They have a lot of LHD. They're short on RHD.
Not the right fit for Edmonton at this time. Now if they move one of their LHD in another deal....

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I agree with everything you said above.
However Hanifin isn't worth the 10th and RNH. That is an overpayment. As 'Canes fans you might argue that it would take an overpayment to move Hanifin. While this is debatable, I can guarantee you Edmonton is not the club to make any such offer. They have a lot of LHD. They're short on RHD.
Not the right fit for Edmonton at this time. Now if they move one of their LHD in another deal....

Honestly, even if we do, we still have enough LHD. Klef, Nurse, Russell, Sekera, with Jones and Lagesson fully capable of being called up and filling in on the bottom pair. We’re absolutely fine on the left side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad