Proposal: Hanifin to Dallas

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You could use the same rationale to re-sign Tanev and Lindholm then. And that way, keep the team as is forever mediocre.

The why is simple; this roster is poorly constructed and going nowhere. There's no reason to bring any of the UFA's (except Kylington) back, especially for bigger cap hits. Yeah, there's low odds of any late first round pick being as good as Hanfin, and even lower odds of them being better. But you take those odds because it's better than the status quo of never ending mediocrity.
No. It’s a 26 year old defencemen. That’s not the same as a 29 year old forward or 33 year old D.

I mean our fan base was saying that players like Tkachuk and Gaudreau were not good enough for years. For some reason as a fan base we blame our really good players instead of blaming the fact we don’t have enough of them.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Assumption with below is that Hanifin and flames don't go ahead with an extension.

To Dallas

Noah Hanifin (minor retention to help balance stars cap rest of year)

To Calgary

1st in 24
Liam Bischel
Radek Faksa

Dallas is in a good Cup window but needs an upgrade on defense. Having Hanifin play with Heiskanen, Lindell, Harley gives Dallas a strong core.

Heiskanen is playing on the right side at the moment so may as well continue it if his partner is of Hanifins calibre.

The package is big for an UFA, but if Dallas get to the West finals the pick is in the 29 to 32 range, so not quite a premium pick.

Lian Bischel was Dallas 1st round pick in 2022. A big bodied defensive prospect who is close to NHL ready. Would be a hit
to Dallas prospect pool but would be a needed piece.

Faksa the other piece. A veteran defensive forward. Very good penalty killer and shut down centre (and faceoffs), not much
offense but a reliable 4th line centre.

Stars fans may want a true right handed RD. But I feel adding a player of this talent and experience could be a big addition and have them ready for a run at the Cup.

Thoughts?

Could Calgary get more?

Would Jim Nill give up futures for an UFA..is the Cup run legit if added?

Stars defense post trade

Hanifin - Heiskanen
Lindell- Hakanpaa
Suter Harley
Seems a little lite to me, but not terrible. I'd counter if I was the Flames, but if this is the best they can do... It's a deal you probably make at the last moment before the TDL expires.

If Dallas is desperate today due to their injury Situation to their 1D, then I'd demand Mavrik Bourque + 2nd rounder and filler like Faska or whomever Dallas needed to dump that's on an expiring contract.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
But who are the getting with those picks? Late first and prospects like Bichsel are nice pieces. We may have to go that way if he doesn’t want to resign. But the chances they turn out to be a top pair d like Hanifin are extremely low. He’s 26 and his extension will be up at 34. The way he skates that is a no brainer to resign IMO
You draft and develop and hope for the best. Calgary has a great opportunity to load up and let their staff do the rest.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
No. It’s a 26 year old defencemen. That’s not the same as a 29 year old forward or 33 year old D.

I mean our fan base was saying that players like Tkachuk and Gaudreau were not good enough for years. For some reason as a fan base we blame our really good players instead of blaming the fact we don’t have enough of them.
I agree that Hanifin is diferent than Lindy or Tanev, but keeping Hanifin in a d core with Rasmus and Weegar will not let us bottom out and will keep us mediocre even with a below average forward group. If we were not in need of a rebuld or elite young talent then of course we'd keep Hanifin. But we NEED the elite young talent that comes with high picks or big trades, and Hanifin is one of (if not our best) trade chip. That's why we need to move him.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Assumption with below is that Hanifin and flames don't go ahead with an extension.

To Dallas

Noah Hanifin (minor retention to help balance stars cap rest of year)

To Calgary

1st in 24
Liam Bischel
Radek Faksa

Dallas is in a good Cup window but needs an upgrade on defense. Having Hanifin play with Heiskanen, Lindell, Harley gives Dallas a strong core.

Heiskanen is playing on the right side at the moment so may as well continue it if his partner is of Hanifins calibre.

The package is big for an UFA, but if Dallas get to the West finals the pick is in the 29 to 32 range, so not quite a premium pick.

Lian Bischel was Dallas 1st round pick in 2022. A big bodied defensive prospect who is close to NHL ready. Would be a hit
to Dallas prospect pool but would be a needed piece.

Faksa the other piece. A veteran defensive forward. Very good penalty killer and shut down centre (and faceoffs), not much
offense but a reliable 4th line centre.

Stars fans may want a true right handed RD. But I feel adding a player of this talent and experience could be a big addition and have them ready for a run at the Cup.

Thoughts?

Could Calgary get more?

Would Jim Nill give up futures for an UFA..is the Cup run legit if added?

Stars defense post trade

Hanifin - Heiskanen
Lindell- Hakanpaa
Suter Harley
I'd be asking for Mavrik Bourque, Logan Stankoven, and a 2024 2nd.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I'd be asking for Mavrik Bourque, Logan Stankoven, and a 2024 2nd.
As a flames fan, that is just absurd. When has a team ever traded their two blue chip prospects in the same deal? Plus a pick? We'd be lucky to get one of those guys and a pick.

Reactions: roryjones

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I agree that Hanifin is diferent than Lindy or Tanev, but keeping Hanifin in a d core with Rasmus and Weegar will not let us bottom out and will keep us mediocre even with a below average forward group.
After listening to Eric Francis on today's Jeff Marek show and reading some of the posts and threads around here I'm starting to think that mediocrity is what people in Calgary actually want. They don't want a team that recognizes reality, goes into a rebuild, and comes out the other side a better team. They want a team that's always in a playoff hunt but never Stanley Cup contention.

This TDL is a serious opportunity to do a surgical 7-8 trade teardown, turn a corner and work towards something new. It's just bizarre to see so few people actually want that.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
As a flames fan, that is just absurd. When has a team ever traded their two blue chip prospects in the same deal? Plus a pick? We'd be lucky to get one of those guys and a pick.
Just as absurd as any of your proposals. It all depends on how badly they want Hanifin..

After listening to Eric Francis on today's Jeff Marek show and reading some of the posts and threads around here I'm starting to think that mediocrity is what people in Calgary actually want. They don't want a team that recognizes reality, goes into a rebuild, and comes out the other side a better team. They want a team that's always in a playoff hunt but never Stanley Cup contention.

This TDL is a serious opportunity to do a surgical 7-8 trade teardown, turn a corner and work towards something new. It's just bizarre to see so few people actually want that.
Not going to happen.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Yep. If you look at trades with picks the last couple of years, the conditions on teams performances are plentiful, but there's nothing on re-signings. Iirc, the CBA was changed in 2020.

Yeah, I forgot all about that. It makes sense. I hope once the cap begins to increase again, that translates to more interesting UFA movements with sign and trades becoming more common.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Just as absurd as any of your proposals. It all depends on how badly they want Hanifin..
Find one fan from Dallas or a neutral team that thinks Stankoven+Bourque+2nd for Hanifin is a fair deal. Might be the most biased take I've seen on here. Show me a proposal of mine that comes close to that level of absurdity lol

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I know and it's kinda sad.
Not for me. I've live through all those dark years of 'rebuilds' during the 90's and the 2000's. From 1996-97 to 2002-03 there were seven straight years of missing the play-offs. Then we have five goods seasons (with Sutter as Coach for four of them) that came with an all-star goalie. Then we had five more re-build years.

We have a strong nucleus right now and are integrating young talented players. Even by trading a couple of UFA's, say Tanev and Lindholm, room will be made for a couple more.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Not for me. I've live through all those dark years of 'rebuilds' during the 90's and the 2000's. From 1996-97 to 2002-03 there were seven straight years of missing the play-offs. Then we have five goods seasons (with Sutter as Coach for four of them) that came with an all-star goalie. Then we had five more re-build years.

We have a strong nucleus right now and are integrating young talented players. Even by trading a couple of UFA's, say Tanev and Lindholm, room will be made for a couple more.
I've followed and studied a lot of rebuilds and not all of them are bad. If the Flames make their 7-8 moves before the deadline and then do the draft and development thing they'll be fine - as long as ownership leaves the GM alone and lets him do his job.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Dallas' only real need is an upgrade to play next to Heiskanen. I'm not that high on Hanifin, but he is definitely a big upgrade on Suter.

Hanifin - Heiskanen
Harley - Hanley
Lindell - Hakanpaa
Suter

Ledge And Dairy

Flames need a future #1 C. And he needs to be 6’3” and 210 lbs minimum. No more little guys. The top teams have big #1 C’s. Even if it someone that takes 3-4 years to develop
Connor McDavid - 6'0, 194lbs
Jack Hughes - 5'11, 170lbs
Brayden Point - 5'10, 166lbs
Sebastian Aho - 6'0, 176lbs
Elias Pettersson - 6'2, 176lbs
Sidney Crosby - 5'11, 200lbs
Connor Bedard - 5'10, 185lbs
Matty Beniers - 6'2, 175lbs
Tim Stutzle - 6'0, 190lbs

Do they need a 1C? Yes. Does he have to be big and strong? Absolutely not. If Calgary wins the draft they are 100% taking Celebrini and his 5'11, 181lbs superstar potential.

Even if they don't win Berkley Catton would be an excellent choice for them if available

Ledge And Dairy

I've followed and studied a lot of rebuilds and not all of them are bad. If the Flames make their 7-8 moves before the deadline and then do the draft and development thing they'll be fine - as long as ownership leaves the GM alone and lets him do his job.
They wont do 7-8 moves unless you are counting guys like Oesterle and Gilbert as "moves." They will makes 2-4 relevant moves this year and then a few more next year. Teams simply don't have the cap space to add guys like Mangiapane, Coleman, Markstrom, etc and Calgary ownership is not going to allow them to retain on multi year deals

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

This is all just wrong. We sucked in the late 90's and early 2000's because we had Iggy and no other elite talent. During this time we refused to give our young guys a shot and lost two future HOFers (St. Louis and Giguere) until we finally added the elite players we needed to support Iggy and build a contender (Kipper and Regehr).

We were then a contender for 5 years, and then when it became clear that we weren't good enough to win a cup with just Iggy and Kipper, we refused to rebuld and stuck with a medicore core and had no succeess from 2008-2013. Until we FINALLY decided to rebuild in 2013 and moved Iggy and J-Bo and let other vets walk. Then, because of our rebuild, we had some success from 2015-2021 with a good young core. But we cut the rebuild short by going for guys like Hamonic and Neal before we had accumulated the young talent to be a real contender. And now we're right back where we were from 2008-2013, minus the elite talent in Iggy and Kipper.

The need to rebuild now has never been more apparent. This doesn't mean trade everone, it means trading certain vets and bottoming out to get some elite prospects in the draft. It's not as dramatic as you always make it seem.

Using any past era of Flames failures to prove that rebuilding is not a successful strategy is just ignorant. We never went through a rebuild, we always half-assed it and never won a cup as a result. Look at teams like Colorado and Tampa. Years of bottoming out and shipping vets and then building through the top of the draft. But I know I won't change your mind. You love first-round appearances and hate short-term pain, refusing to recognize that it is necessarily for long-term gain.

All this to say, ship guys like Hanifin and Tanev and Lindy and other vets and keep only a select few to insulate our decent young core. Its so obvious to 99% of Flames fans that aren't too stubborn to see the truth.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
They wont do 7-8 moves unless you are counting guys like Oesterle and Gilbert as "moves." They will makes 2-4 relevant moves this year and then a few more next year. Teams simply don't have the cap space to add guys like Mangiapane, Coleman, Markstrom, etc and Calgary ownership is not going to allow them to retain on multi year deals
The 7-8 trades I'm talking about concern the pending UFAs. When it comes to rebuilding the team each and every one of those trades is relevant. If you don't know who they are go check out Capfriendly. They should all be moved for picks and prospects. And so should Vladar as a spot needs to be freed up for Wolf.

As for Markstrom and those other guys you mention I've never suggested that the Flames trade them. They aren't pending free agents and their cap hits are needed to keep the Flames near or at the cap floor.

But yeah - the Flames won't do what they need to as they simply have no interest in responding to what's happening around them.

Ledge And Dairy

The 7-8 trades I'm talking about concern the pending UFAs. When it comes to rebuilding the team each and every one of those trades is relevant. If you don't know who they are go check out Capfriendly. They should all be moved for picks and prospects. And so should Vladar as a spot needs to be freed up for Wolf.

As for Markstrom and those other guys you mention I've never suggested that the Flames trade them. They aren't pending free agents and their cap hits are needed to keep the Flames near or at the cap floor.

But yeah - the Flames won't do what they need to as they simply have no interest in responding to what's happening around them.
Gilbert, Oesterle, DeSimone, and Rooney (when healthy) simply don't have much trade value at all. They might get a combined 6th rounder in value but more likely future considerations or a throw in with one of the big guys.

Greer has trade value but probably a 4th at most

Kylington probably won't be traded at all as he hasn't played in so long. I think he's more likely to stay with the Flames and sign an extension

Then obviously the big 3 have good value

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Dallas is one of the 2-4 teams who can offer a really good D prospect, teams usually don’t trade, because they have multiples of them. Detroit, Dallas, being two of those, along with Vegas (for different reasons) are the 3 teams, nobody should be surprised Hanifin lands, if and when Calgary puts him back on the market.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Seems a little lite to me, but not terrible. I'd counter if I was the Flames, but if this is the best they can do... It's a deal you probably make at the last moment before the TDL expires.

If Dallas is desperate today due to their injury Situation to their 1D, then I'd demand Mavrik Bourque + 2nd rounder and filler like Faska or whomever Dallas needed to dump that's on an expiring contract.
I'd actually rather have the defenseman than Bourque. Only Dallas prospect I like more is Stankoven. It still irks me we could have had him in round 2 and instead decided to take Stromgren.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

Good player but far from a cornerstone piece. Pure supporting cast.

Hanifin makes perfect sense for contender with a clear cut number one. He makes no sense in a rebuild.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Good player but far from a cornerstone piece. Pure supporting cast.

Hanifin makes perfect sense for contender with a clear cut number one. He makes no sense in a rebuild.

xG is such a flawed stat box. Hanifin is perfectly cast as the B part of your 1st pair or the A part of a 2nd pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad