Friedman: Hanifin, Tanev and Zadorov : I think they are calling around and gauging the market. I can see teams like Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver showing

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yep but he's at that awkward age where he's not old but maybe too old for a team that's possibly looking to embark on a rebuild (ie. How old will he be once the Flames are ready to contend again?)

Of course it's always possible that due to Huberdeau's massive contract and several other factors the Flames elect to keep trying to retool and compete. I'm really curious to see what happens with Lindholm and Hanifin. If they both re-sign them obviously it doesn't make sense for Calgary to deal Andersson.
The Flames aren't going to just give up and roll over.

They may move their pending UFAs, but even then I think it will be a shorter rebuild because they aren't going to go scorched earth.

Look at the established guys still under contract beyond this season... Markstrom, Andersson, Weegar, Huberdeau, Kadri, Backlund, Mangiapane, Coleman, and Sharangovich.

Then we have some solid young players and good to great prospects in Wolf, Poirier, Solovyov, Zary, Pelletier, Coronato, Honzek, and then whomever we grab with our 1sts in 2024 and 2025. Plus some great young role players in Ruzcka, Pospisil & Duehr.

And let's be honest here, regardless of how many people shit on and laugh at Huberdeau, he didn't suddenly lose his ability to play and play well. All it takes is a FA signing or one of those young players/prospects to mesh with Huberdeau and suddenly we'll have a legit top line again, a legit top pairing, and a legit #1 goalie. A couple other smart signings and we could easily be a playoff team again.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
It's not a rebuild. It's not signing some of their top UFA's to terrible contracts just to keep them. The UFA's and their agents are trying to use leverage of losing Thkachuk and Gaudreau for their clients to get overpaid. The only UFA the flames have that deserves a good retirement contract is Hanifan. Lindholm and Zadorov don't deserve raises or long term deals from the Flames, it's not like the just won a cup or had playoff success.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
All contenders will be gauging interest in these players. Especially hanifin and zadorov thanks Friedman.

Toronto needs to keep away from these Calgary D men. They are all UFA’s after this season, if they want them just sign them then. Don’t give up anything of value, nothing.
Toronto needs to stay away from these defenders? They are going to try and win the cup this year. Teams trying to win the cup always add rentals to fill holes in their rosters. What roster holes do the leafs have again?

Only Canadian teams, interesting.
Friedman works for sportsnet.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
I think the flames best bet is to try some sort of re-tool. Take a hit now by moving some or all of the UFAs. Get flexible capital back (draft picks and prospects) and then elect to either keep the picks they get or invest in more established young-ish players.

Tanev to Toronto just feels like it's written in the stars from a Canucks fan perspective. That's gonna happen.

My guess is Andersson is last on the list to be moved out unless they get a huge haul back.

They don't really have any options other than betting on a Hubby and Kadri bounce back.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think the flames best bet is to try some sort of re-tool. Take a hit now by moving some or all of the UFAs. Get flexible capital back (draft picks and prospects) and then elect to either keep the picks they get or invest in more established young-ish players.

Tanev to Toronto just feels like it's written in the stars from a Canucks fan perspective. That's gonna happen.

My guess is Andersson is last on the list to be moved out unless they get a huge haul back.

They don't really have any options other than betting on a Hubby and Kadri bounce back.

I actually think It's going to be Zadorov it feels like he will be a Leaf likely via trade but almost assuredly in free agency

Reactions: DeltaSwede

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

This is the obvious plan of action. I wish I could say I trust the Flames to take the obvious plan of action but I don't.

They need to bet on their drafting. I believe it's legitimately very good. Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Fox, Brodie, Mangiapane, Andersson, Monahan, Wolf, Dube even guys like Giordano and Hathaway. Their best players are drafted and developed in house but they continue to sign these over the hill UFAs in the interest of making the playoff dance. If they had properly developed Bennett things could be so different. You can carry those contracts and build around those players if the rest of the team is quality and you get some young overperformers among the top 9.

They have the #1 team in the AHL right now and they were the #1 team last year too before Coachella Valley took them out in the playoffs. What they really need to do is trade their tradeable assets and finish bottom 5 to draft a 1C. A big elite do it all 1st line center. You do not get anywhere in this league without one.

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
Had the same thought. The fact that Canadians aren’t questioning his very thing is also “interesting”. But carry on telling everyone how legitimate Friedman is.
Most clicks. He also has said Dallas and New Jersey are interested in Zadorov.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Yes I am critical of goaltending because to me goaltending is the most important position in hockey.

I always say anything under a 900 save% I have an issue with, I think under 900 is the baseline between defense problem and goaltending problem.

I know that going into last night Markstrom was floating around 900, I don't have his numbers sitting in front of me, but what I can tell you 1000% for sure is his save% is NOT 855.

As I said I have an issue with anything under 900 that's the baseline between defense problem and goaltending problem.

But even if Markstrom is under 900 Samsonov is sitting at 855.

855 is unplayable.

That's not a defense problem.

That's not even a goaltending problem

That's a whole new level of suck and It's completely unacceptable.

To be clear it doesn't have to be Markstrom I just know he's Treliving guy so I could see him being interested.

I agree, goaltending is so important. But it’s also f***ing voodoo these days.

Leafs went from Potvin, to Cujo, to Belfour and then ….. trash for decades.

Goaltending isn’t like it used to be for some reason. Leafs have obviously taken the approach that goaltending is easily replaceable and the cost of superstar goaltending isn’t worth the cap investment.

I can see the argument, but I don’t know if I agree with it. I don’t know if the Leafs traded for a top goaltender that we would see similar or better performance out of them on this team.

I was really intrigued with going after Fleury and Peterangelo (i know there’s an i in there somewhere but I’m too lazy to lookup how to spell it and it’s close enough) those two positions are still what the team is missing

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Nurse for Huberdeau Hanifin(extended) Tanev ... if Hanifin agrees and everyone else agrees work around that ... a rejuvenated Huby feeding McD and some help on the Oils blueline .... just throwing something out there..
Nurse contract is even worst than Huberdeau imo. Huberdeau has some what proven track record while Nurse was trash even before he signed the long term deal. If anything it would be Nurse and 1st plus 2nd for Hubs straight up

Zadorov for late first (to NJ)
Tanev to Toronto for Robertson + 2nd
Hanifin (8x7 mil) for Tom Willander + 3rd
Carolina 2nd for Vladar

That’s my guess what happens
No thanks, we will get Tanev and a 2nd and B prospect.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Had the same thought. The fact that Canadians aren’t questioning his very thing is also “interesting”. But carry on telling everyone how legitimate Friedman is.
Friendman recently made the joke on HNIC that he was Canadiansupremist. He's not trying to fool anyone

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If Toronto can get both Tanev and Zadorov then theyre the team to beat in the east. It would completely change the make up of their blueline and Gio would be their #7D.

Tanev plays with Reilly on the top pair and Zadorov on the bottom pair.

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
I see the value being thrown around, but honestly. How good is Hanifin? I haven't had the chance to see him play that much.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This is the obvious plan of action. I wish I could say I trust the Flames to take the obvious plan of action but I don't.

They need to bet on their drafting. I believe it's legitimately very good. Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Fox, Brodie, Mangiapane, Andersson, Monahan, Wolf, Dube even guys like Giordano and Hathaway. Their best players are drafted and developed in house but they continue to sign these over the hill UFAs in the interest of making the playoff dance. If they had properly developed Bennett things could be so different. You can carry those contracts and build around those players if the rest of the team is quality and you get some young overperformers among the top 9.

They have the #1 team in the AHL right now and they were the #1 team last year too before Coachella Valley took them out in the playoffs. What they really need to do is trade their tradeable assets and finish bottom 5 to draft a 1C. A big elite do it all 1st line center. You do not get anywhere in this league without one.
Our late round drafting has been exceptional. Our early round drafting has been pretty good. Our player development and opportunity has been brutal until this season.

He is a Bouwmeester clone
He has a better shot than JBo did (you and I have a better shot than JBo did), but otherwise yes.

Reactions: andora

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Since Klingberg is a UFA this summer, Calgary can take him just to fill a roster spot, since he will walk this summer anyways .

Klingberg, 1st and 2nd for Tanev and Zadorov

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
If Toronto can get both Tanev and Zadorov then theyre the team to beat in the east. It would completely change the make up of their blueline and Gio would be their #7D.

Tanev plays with Reilly on the top pair and Zadorov on the bottom pair.
Tanev yes. Zadarov no. If I’m Toronto I’m just taking Tanev and calling it a day. Z is a bit of a giveaway machine.

I hope Ottawa finds a way to get Tanev. Perfect fit for any defence.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
He can be. But he can also knock someone into next week. And he has an offensive flair to him that I think a club like Toronto could use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad