Friedman: Hanifin, Tanev and Zadorov : I think they are calling around and gauging the market. I can see teams like Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver showing

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Read the link and am curious why the reporter compared Tanev’s physical play to Trouba? Tanev is not physical. He is a cerebral player who will eat pucks and take hits. He’s not the aggressor like Trouba.
Probably to get Devils fans hooked because we have a Trouba problem.

Game 7 in the playoffs he injured Meier, in the preseason he boarded McLeod and took a run at a few players, and he injured Nosek on Saturday with a gigantic hit.

The Devils did absolutely nothing about any of these instances. The fans were absolutely livid after the game Saturday... not even that mad at Trouba... more at the lack of reaction from the Devils.

Reactions: Fatass

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Game 7 in the playoffs he injured Meier, in the preseason he boarded McLeod and took a run at a few players, and he injured Nosek on Saturday with a gigantic hit.

The Devils did absolutely nothing about any of these instances. The fans were absolutely livid after the game Saturday... not even that mad at Trouba... more at the lack of reaction from the Devils.
Tanev isn't any type of Trouba solution. He's not physical, he's just really physically tough. He'll block back to back shots with his face but he isn't running anybody through the boards. If you're looking for that type it's Zadorov, he hits like Trouba. Tanev is a shutdown guy.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I agree, goaltending is so important. But it’s also f***ing voodoo these days.

Leafs went from Potvin, to Cujo, to Belfour and then ….. trash for decades.

Goaltending isn’t like it used to be for some reason. Leafs have obviously taken the approach that goaltending is easily replaceable and the cost of superstar goaltending isn’t worth the cap investment.

I can see the argument, but I don’t know if I agree with it. I don’t know if the Leafs traded for a top goaltender that we would see similar or better performance out of them on this team.

I was really intrigued with going after Fleury and Peterangelo (i know there’s an i in there somewhere but I’m too lazy to lookup how to spell it and it’s close enough) those two positions are still what the team is missing
goalies are the most important position on the ice at any given moment. Teams should build from goalie to D to forwards.

The leafs issue is they have so many great forwards that they have to pay, that forces their defense to suffer, then ultimately their goalie position, so they just built the team in the wrong direction...and I would assume that was not by choice.

If they would trade nylander or marner, they would get a haul back that would just be insane and if they were smart, they would make sure that haul included a sure fire 1G and a top 4 D that plays solidly defensively, obviously more to be added.

If the leafs had a hypothetical trade of something similar to marner for markstrom+zadorov++ they should do the deal in a heart beat. Not because marner is bad, he is obviously elite, but it makes their goaltending a non-issue, makes their defense very mean to play against with just one addition. It would hurt their forward group, obviously, but that could be sorted out by trading one of their current defenders and samsonov for a solid forward. No, this forward is not going to be as good as marner, but you want a solid 55-70 point player in return.

My thoughts anyways.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
goalies are the most important position on the ice at any given moment. Teams should build from goalie to D to forwards.

The leafs issue is they have so many great forwards that they have to pay, that forces their defense to suffer, then ultimately their goalie position, so they just built the team in the wrong direction...and I would assume that was not by choice.

If they would trade nylander or marner, they would get a haul back that would just be insane and if they were smart, they would make sure that haul included a sure fire 1G and a top 4 D that plays solidly defensively, obviously more to be added.

If the leafs had a hypothetical trade of something similar to marner for markstrom+zadorov++ they should do the deal in a heart beat. Not because marner is bad, he is obviously elite, but it makes their goaltending a non-issue, makes their defense very mean to play against with just one addition. It would hurt their forward group, obviously, but that could be sorted out by trading one of their current defenders and samsonov for a solid forward. No, this forward is not going to be as good as marner, but you want a solid 55-70 point player in return.

My thoughts anyways.
We need futures not another 11M play maker. Don't get me wrong Marner is a good player, but there's no Matthews in Calgary to pass to and we aren't a Marner away from contending. Send Marner somewhere else and send us the futures you get from the trade for Markstrom or Z. I actually think Z would be a great fit there.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
We need futures not another 11M play maker. Don't get me wrong Marner is a good player, but there's no Matthews in Calgary to pass to and we aren't a Marner away from contending. Send Marner somewhere else and send us the futures you get from the trade for Markstrom or Z. I actually think Z would be a great fit there.
I completely agree with what you think calgary needs, but I also don't believe they will want to do a complete rebuild because of kadri and huberdeau signings.

Marner keeps things interesting and spicy on the team long enough to say you guys are still in the playoff picture. A full rebuild is always the better way to go than to retool every year (speaking from an experienced fan). You end up rebuilding in the long run anyways and it is usually longer than expected.

Strangle

May 4, 2009

My thoughts anyways.

I can see this line of thinking, but there just aren’t enough HOF goaltenders available in the NHL.

The thinking seems to be that the difference between a $9-$10m goalie and a $3m goalie isn’t as much or as important as the difference between a $10m forward or defenseman and a $3m one.

There is no guarantee that Markstrom would come into Toronto and outperform what Toronto’s goalies are currently doing.

I was interested in Helly, but again, you can’t guarantee that you’re getting that big a boost to the numbers on the ice.

I personally agree that you want to start with a HOF goalie, but you also have to kind of play the hand you were dealt, if that’s one where you need to develop your own goalie, than that’s what you’ve got to do.

I think, at least for right now, the days of hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Belfour and Cujo are over.

You had Fleury and Price, but you more often see a few fantastic years of goaltending dominance and many, many more years of mediocrity.

The superstar players just demand too much cap to go around, and the Leafs have drafted superstar forwards, one star defenseman and zero superstar goalies.

That’s just drafting BPA, I’m sure if there was a fleury or a price in the top 10 of the Nylander draft, the leafs would have drafted him instead. If there was one in the top 5, maybe they take him instead of rielly or Marner, but those players weren’t ranked in those places at the time the leafs had those picks.

The Leafs have a bevy of goaltending prospects in the system now, and Ian Scott having his career sidelined by injury doesn’t help, but you kind of have to put what you have out on the I e.

Making a superstar trade for a goalie can blow up in your face and ruin everything, for possibly very little difference on the ice.

Would I do it for Hasek? Of course I would. But I don’t see anyone standing head and shoulders above the average goalie in the league right now.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California

Well McLeod had a hard and borderline dirty hit on Lindgren. That was kind of a reaction.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I completely agree with what you think calgary needs, but I also don't believe they will want to do a complete rebuild because of kadri and huberdeau signings.

Marner keeps things interesting and spicy on the team long enough to say you guys are still in the playoff picture. A full rebuild is always the better way to go than to retool every year (speaking from an experienced fan). You end up rebuilding in the long run anyways and it is usually longer than expected.
There is no way for us to completely rebuild without sending out massive assets to drop Huberdeau. It doesn't mean though that we should be acquiring another 11m forward that isn't what we need. If you want to talk Nylander extended that would be more interesting as I think he could move to C. We have plenty of guys who can pass, we need a shooter. Marner is a better version of Huberdeau who already had no one to pass to. Hard pass on Marner for me. We have 2 defensemen signed for next year. We have no #1 center signed for next year. We do have 8 top 9 wingers for 6 spots signed next year.

Wing and goaltending are the only things we don't need going forward.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Who wants to completely rebuild? Not me. And I suspect for a lot of other fans as well.

Certainly having this number of UFA's represents an opportunity for improvement if not cap flexibility.

Many clubs are in the same boat so it will be interesting to see what shakes out before and after Christmas.

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
Read the link and am curious why the reporter compared Tanev’s physical play to Trouba? Tanev is not physical. He is a cerebral player who will eat pucks and take hits. He’s not the aggressor like Trouba.
It’s like he meant to type Zadarov lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad