Proposal: Hanifin for Nylander Revisited

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs don't need another LHD long term. Period. Nylander still might be needed at centre for the Leafs, a position of little NHL depth.
I don't know why folks think Nylander is soft. When there is a needed puck battle, he's in there fighting fo the puck and does well. Would fans be happy if he just dumped the puck in the corner and "battled" more instead of holding onto the puck and making a hockey play?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
sick burn, those two top 5 picks busting really cost the Leafs

Hanifin is hardly busting...his development curve, while slower than Prov and Werenski, is right in line with that of most 1Ds in the NHL. He needs to work on the instinct/mental side of his game...and that will come in time.

He's already better than Dermott will ever be.

Reactions: Baksfamous112

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs fans think they can get Hanafin for Nylander?

I think you should keep the West Coast games. Leafs really don't need the Hanifan, it would be the Canes that would be winners in the trade, cause Nylander would really be filling a need for them
Of course by the dozens of Tanev trades to the Leafs. Nylander isn't enough to get Tanev.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Hanifin is hardly busting...his development curve, while slower than Prov and Werenski, is right in line with that of most 1Ds in the NHL. He needs to work on the instinct/mental side of his game...and that will come in time.

you have no idea how good either player will be, but one would certainly hope that a 5th overall pick would surpass a second rounder the vast majority of the time.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Said it back then, say it again. Hanifin is worth more than Nylander. I am sure Babcock would want him. Hanifin is 21, he's from the generational draft class of 2015. He's coming a long. D men take more time in developing. Canes would be making an awful mistake giving up on him this early. Plus the Leafs are desperate for Defenceman coming off a playoff lost that really illustrated this. GM's are not blind. They would have to sweeten the pot a lot here.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think you should keep the West Coast games. Leafs really don't need the Hanifan, it would be the Canes that would be winners in the trade, cause Nylander would really be filling a need for them
Of course by the dozens of Tanev trades to the Leafs. Nylander isn't enough to get Tanev.

Imagine if Tanev could actually play a full season, he'd be worth Nylander AND Marner +

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Said it back then, say it again. Hanifin is worth more than Nylander. I am sure Babcock would want him. Hanifin is 21, he's from the generational draft class of 2015. He's coming a long. D men take more time in developing. Canes would be making an awful mistake giving up on him this early. Plus the Leafs are desperate for Defenceman. They would have to sweeten the pot here.

Agreed. I'm wondering what the Leafs would add in a Nylander for Hanifin deal? Maybe Kapanen? I'm not sure but I think they have to add. 2nd line wingers are a Duke a dozen and there are better options via UFA.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If the Leafs are looking to aquire defensemen who can actually defend I don't know why they would go after Hanafin. Heard enough Carolina fans rag on his terrible defensive reads and plays.

Leafs don't have a pairing they can shelter as much as Hanifin gets sheltered. He is getting 63% of his zone starts in the offensive zone at even strength. For comparison the Leafs third pairing gets just under 52% of their zone starts in the offensive zone.

Dont think the Leafs could get the best out of Hanifin (I.e. playing him the majority of the time in the offensive zone) with how their pairings are used.

Pass from this fan.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Agreed. I'm wondering what the Leafs would add in a Nylander for Hanifin deal? Maybe Kapanen? I'm not sure but I think they have to add. 2nd line wingers are a Duke a dozen and there are better options via UFA.
Now Nylander is a 2nd line winger? LOL! How many 2nd line wingers put up back to back 60 point seasons during their first 2 seasons in the NHL?

I guess that makes Hanifin a sheltered offensive 3rd pairing defender...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

This is pretty dumb.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Now Nylander is a 2nd line winger? LOL! How many 2nd line wingers put up back to back 60 point seasons during their first 2 seasons in the NHL?

He didn't do it at 18 like generational talents do. He had time to develop elsewhere. He's good. But he isn't elite. Yet.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
This is pretty dumb.
Even worse when Dermott was pacing for more even strength points as gets no PP time while not being incredibly sheltered like Hanifin is with his offensive zone starts.

Not saying Dermott is better but to say Hanifin's play this year has been better than anything Dermott could ever do is pretty rich considering Dermott just had a comparable season to Hanifin's this year.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Even worse when Dermott was pacing for more even strength points as gets no PP time while not being incredibly sheltered like Hanifin is with his offensive zone starts.

Not saying Dermott is better but to say Hanifin's play this year has been better than anything Dermott could ever do is pretty rich considering Dermott just had a comparable season to Hanifin's this year.

I love it how the teams goal tending situations isn't even a consideration in this debate....

I cant fathom.how scoring 13 points to 30 is even comparable. 1 goal to 10, 13 points compared to 32... Are you guys serious right now?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He didn't do it at 18 like generational talents do. He had time to develop elsewhere. He's good. But he isn't elite. Yet.
Ya he isn't a generational talent, no one has claimed he is. He is a 1st line winger who has a good shot of a transitioning to a center.

Calling him a 2nd line winger is just flat out wrong and is being done to try and devalue him for some reason. Like the trades on this side have any bearing.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I love it how the teams goal tending situations isn't even a consideration in this debate....

I cant fathom.how scoring 13 points to 30 is even comparable. Are you guys serious right now?
How does goaltending effect Hanifin's zone starts or even strength point production?

I will break it down for you.

Dermott doesnt get PP time so doesn't have any have power play point. His 13 points in 37 games paces over a full season to around 29 even strength points. He gets around 51% of his zone starts in the offensive zone and has a 1.3PTS/60.

Hanifin paced for around 26 even strength points over 82 games with 63% of his starts in the offensive zone and 1.1PTS/60 at even strength.

Both the players largely played 3rd pairing matchups.

To say Hanifin's current season is better than any Dermott will ever do is insane considering Dermott just put up a pretty comparable season....

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
How does goaltending effect Hanifin's zone starts or even strength point production?

I will break it down for you.

Dermott doesnt get PP time so doesn't have any have power play point. His 13 points in 37 games paces over a full season to around 29 even strength points. He gets around 51% of his zone starts in the offensive zone and has a 1.3PTS/60.

Hanifin paced for around 26 even strength points over 82 games with 63% of his starts in the offensive zone and 1.1PTS/60 at even strength.

Both the players largely played 3rd pairing matchups.

To say Hanifin's current season is better than any Dermott will ever do is insane considering Dermott just put up a pretty comparable season....

Yup Hanifin scoring 10 goals to Detmott's 1 is very comparable. I will stop debating now.

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
I witnessed a soft Nylander come playoff time that was prone to turning the puck over. Maybe it was just me though and the stats say otherwise. I am basing my OPINION on what I saw. Hence my post.
Fair enough. I certainly agree there. However why does he need a change of scenery because he had a bad few playoff games?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

How many 2nd line wingers forget to show up in the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad