Proposal: Hanifin for Nylander Revisited

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Up and coming Hanfin for Nylander. Both players need a change of scenery. Strsight up 1 for 1. Hanfin is unproven come playoff time. We know what Nylander does come playoff time. Would or wouldn't you and why?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I’m a neutral and Nylander is just straight up better.

And while he hasn’t exactly lit the playoffs up Nylander still has 8 points in 13 playoff games.

This isn’t exactly Hall for Larsson level bad, but it’s in the same ballpark.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Slavin is the Canes number one, regardless of whether or not you think he’s a true number one. They can’t trade him unless they’re getting something back you’d trade your top d for. Nylander is not that.

He’s a very good forward, but no Slavin. I don’t think Hanifin is really available but you never know with a new gm coming.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
After his performance I don't think you get much out of him other than being a point producing forward in the regular season who finds it hard to make an impact in the playoffs. I think CAR adds in this scenario.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
The Leafs need some fear on their back end. They get pushed around too much in their own end. Hainsey and Polak aren't the answer. Here's a crazy suggestion (please treat it that way), why not go after Toronto born RFA Jamie Oleksiak in the off season. He'd make Nylander and Marner 6" taller. He's may not be the greatest defender put even Pittsburg uses him on the PK. Offer them Gardiner strait up before he gets ridden out if town on a rail.

Reactions: Alberta Yote

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
No from the Leafs POV. I've said this before, the Canes should hang on to Hanifin and see if he turns into the #1D that he was billed as. If so, then you have someone that will bring you back a young #1C with a D corps that can afford the loss

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
I know after these playoffs many are down on Nylander but lets wait a few more years before we really decide what areas we need to improve. Our team overachieved a bit the last two seasons, but with Bozak and likely JVR leaving this offseason and Marleau 39 before season starts who are our top 6 forwards? Matthews, Marner, Kadri,.... ?? Doesn't look so nice if we remove Nylander does it?

Hyman is a grinder, Brown seems to be one too. Kapanen and Johnsson haven't proven they can produce yet at the NHL level, Leivo hasen't really been given a chance. Korshkov, Bracco, Timashov, Grundstrom are still prospects and could easily flop. We actually aren't all that deep tbh. We had some good pieces left from before the rebuild like Rielly, JVR, Kadri, Bozak, Gardiner, Komarov, who was good in 2016 and 2017 but seems to have regressed. We added few top prospects to our team and made the playoffs two straight years but most of these players (except Rielly and Kadri) will likely be gone by 2019 offseason so we're far from done rebuilding. We'll still badly need Nylander, trust me.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Slavin for Nylander would be a better fit.

Hanifin for Matthews would be a better fit for the Canes, if we are just throwing out wish-lists.

Slavin is signed for 7 more years at $5.3 million. Zero chance he moves. Slavin-Pesce are the Canes top-pair for the next decade and combined they make (similar to) PK Subban. Would be silly to dismantle.

Last edited:

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I fully understand that the Leafs need a RHD defensive guys of top pairing guy. But I just wanted to gauge everyone's thoughts on this trade now that the series if over. I read a lot of "Nylander is soft" rage posts in recent threads so I was curious.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The Leafs need some fear on their back end. They get pushed around too much in their own end. Hainsey and Polak aren't the answer. Here's a crazy suggestion (please treat it that way), why not go after Toronto born RFA Jamie Oleksiak in the off season. He'd make Nylander and Marner 6" taller. He's may not be the greatest defender put even Pittsburg uses him on the PK. Offer them Gardiner strait up before he gets ridden out if town on a rail.
unless Burke is coming back as GM, moves like Jake Gardiner for Jamie Oleksiak aren't happening, this is an extinct way of thinking that just doesn't work. Oleksiak is 25 and yet to play 50 games in one season, he was acquired for a conditional 4th rounder last year. Kevin Shattenkirk is a better value comparable for Gardiner

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Maybe before the season started. That Zaitsev contract is looking pretty bad, 4.5 AAV thru 23-24.
look at where that AAV is trending, that will be second pairing money after this free agency and likely 3rd pairing money by the end of his contract, probably averages out to mid 2nd pairing money for the life of the contract. If he's a #4 that would still be fine, he looked better than that last season and in that range this season when he was healthy

if there's a concern around Zaitsev's contract I think it's term because of health

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Sounds like a fair trade to me. Maybe Nylander is a a bit better right now but d men are worth more than wingers and D men take longer to blossom.

Actually think this helps the leafs more, as Carolina doesn't really need another winger, they have their own Nylander in Aho

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If Carolina wanted a Leaf winger, they could just sign JVR for free. Or look at about 8 wingers who are free agents who are just as good. Why give up anything for help on the wing when you can get it for free, and it's not like Carolina has a cap problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad