Hanging on a pipe dream: Is another NHL team coming to Toronto?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Let me tell you something this is fact the CFL's Hamilton Tiger Cats & Toronto Argonauts have been living side by side for over 150 years what has happened nothing & there the oldest rivalry in pro sports & you add NHL. hockey to the mix it has a chance to be just as blood thirsty as the Ticats & Argos .

In My opinion the Leafs (MLSE.) are not the problem Buffalo & Jacobs are because the leafs market is so huge a NHL. team in Hamilton (Southern Ontario regional team) is far enough away that it dose not concern them as for Buffalo there great protector in Bruins owner Jeremey Jacobs is out of the pitcher it might be easier to get over that Buffalo hurdle now .
It absolutely devalues their television rights (the entire reason Bell/Rogers bought the team). Look at how the Leafs treated Ottawa when they moved in (and how tiny of a media area they have in Ontario due to it). Do you really think they are going to let a team walk in and share their television/broadcasting region? Then add in the competing arena? Why would the Leafs give up access to the region for nothing? Why do the Leafs have any interest in giving up exclusive television rights to about 11 million people? As for Ti-Cats/Argo's rivalry, the percentage of people who actually care about the Labor Day classic is minuscule. More football fans in Toronto are probably more preparing for their yearly fantasy draft.

The NHL in Hamilton isn't going to happen, and if it does, its a long ways away. If the NHL are going to force a team down the Leafs throat into their region, it will be TO2, because they could actually justify the expansion fees, and they can likely appease the Leafs by stopping the development of a rival concert venue. You talk about the rapid growth of Hamilton, but its still smaller than Peel Region by a significant margin, with Peel region being significantly closer to wealthy companies and neighborhoods.
This sums up the state of the Argos: I am a Cats STH who travels up from NYC for games. My bus goes to Toronto, and as I walked around the city before getting the Go Bus down to the Hammer wearing my jersey I think every 3rd person I encountered shouted "Oskie Wee Wee!" at me. The Argos are basically on life support at this point, and even though they are our hated rival it is really sad to see.
I've lived in Toronto pretty much my entire life, I don't think I've had anyone mention anything to me about the Argos since the days of Flutie. And, I can't think of anyone ever even suggesting going to a game. Hamilton may care, but the Argo's are probably below the Marlies in popularity in this city at the moment. Torontonians, in general, don't care about minor-league sports, which the CFL essentially is. An NFL team in Toronto would do extremely well. Unlike any other cities in Canada Toronto has an NBA and MLB team, and don't really care for 2nd-tier leagues.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The only way it happens us if Bell owns one team and Rogers the other. That's not happening any time soon because both companies are fully committed to the Leafs. Neither would accept second prize, nor would they let another team in.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Cant see it ,nobody in Toronto would cheer for them....The leafs are a culture there,as a Sens fan it would be nice to have their media put the hurt down on somebody else ...But its not happening

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Hamilton today had 2 local bidders to renovate the FOC. & develop the surrounding area namely a new convention center
& redevelop the old convention center into condos all funded by the private sector that means no taxpayer money your thoughts ?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Hamilton today had 2 local bidders to renovate the FOC. & develop the surrounding area namely a new convention center
& redevelop the old convention center into condos all funded by the private sector that means no taxpayer money your thoughts ?

It’s not to renovate it and bring it up to NHL standards. That’s the only thing that matters. They realized a very long time ago that the NHL passed them by. It’s about time people on HF Board realized it as well.

Reactions: oknazevad

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It absolutely devalues their television rights (the entire reason Bell/Rogers bought the team). Look at how the Leafs treated Ottawa when they moved in (and how tiny of a media area they have in Ontario due to it). Do you really think they are going to let a team walk in and share their television/broadcasting region? Then add in the competing arena? Why would the Leafs give up access to the region for nothing? Why do the Leafs have any interest in giving up exclusive television rights to about 11 million people? As for Ti-Cats/Argo's rivalry, the percentage of people who actually care about the Labor Day classic is minuscule. More football fans in Toronto are probably more preparing for their yearly fantasy draft.

The NHL in Hamilton isn't going to happen, and if it does, its a long ways away. If the NHL are going to force a team down the Leafs throat into their region, it will be TO2, because they could actually justify the expansion fees, and they can likely appease the Leafs by stopping the development of a rival concert venue. You talk about the rapid growth of Hamilton, but its still smaller than Peel Region by a significant margin, with Peel region being significantly closer to wealthy companies and neighborhoods.

I've lived in Toronto pretty much my entire life, I don't think I've had anyone mention anything to me about the Argos since the days of Flutie. And, I can't think of anyone ever even suggesting going to a game. Hamilton may care, but the Argo's are probably below the Marlies in popularity in this city at the moment. Torontonians, in general, don't care about minor-league sports, which the CFL essentially is. An NFL team in Toronto would do extremely well. Unlike any other cities in Canada Toronto has an NBA and MLB team, and don't really care for 2nd-tier leagues.

Ottawa shares tv rights with the habs for Quebec and all the Atlantic provinces, so there is that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ottawa shares tv rights with the habs for Quebec and all the Atlantic provinces, so there is that.
MTL gave that up because they didn't want to lose Gatineau. Toronto decided it made more sense to give up TV rights from Ottawa to Belleville while keeping Belleville to Thunder Bay or so was better.

The only way it happens us if Bell owns one team and Rogers the other. That's not happening any time soon because both companies are fully committed to the Leafs. Neither would accept second prize, nor would they let another team in.
I don't think either wants to walk away from the Raptors either, who are probably just as valuable or more valuable than the Leafs right now.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
MTL gave that up because they didn't want to lose Gatineau. Toronto decided it made more sense to give up TV rights from Ottawa to Belleville while keeping Belleville to Thunder Bay or so was better.

I don't think either wants to walk away from the Raptors either, who are probably just as valuable or more valuable than the Leafs right now.

Also Ottawa and Montreal agreed to show each other’s games in their territories, Toronto didn’t want to when Ottawa approached them to a deal like Ottawa/Montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad