Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm III - the Return/Revenge of the Swede?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
When you stick to boilerplate "I'm not thinking about it" language, it doesn't exactly reassure me. :laugh:

It's a contract year for Lindholm and he wants to focus on his play going into the season. If his play shines, then there will be more money chimes. cha-ching! Yet, he did say that the contract stuff is left up to his agent, which is how it should be. Lindholm needs to stay healthy this season to net a very good payday. Keeping focus on that is more important to him than a contract b/c he knows he will get a contract after this season, the difference will be in money and/or team paying it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I would, he's our best and most impactful player on the entire team. Yeah he has had injuries but IMO most of them were just bad luck. He trains his ass off in the off season every off season.

7 years at 6-7 years is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. If we have to go well beyond 7M AAV then I'd be a bit more hesitant, but would rather pay him 8M than see him walk.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t put much thought into these quotes, it is something his agent likely coached him on what to say in case these questions come up in interviews.

I do honestly feel if this team shows signs of improvement and growth, The vets like Lindholm are going to want to stay and hopefully it won’t be much of an overpay. Ducks do have the cap so it’s not an issue.

Reactions: duxfan1101

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Hampus Lindholm on contract talks with the Ducks, staying healthy and the Olympics: 'This is a really big year' – The Athletic

Would you like to re-sign with the Ducks?

That’s something I don’t even think about right now. Whenever I get close to even considering it and I feel like it’s something that’s worth considering, then I’ll think about that. But right now, I just try to focus on my game. I have a lot of good stuff going in my life right now. I just try to enjoy every day. Be present. Control what I can control and that’s just what I can do on the ice.

He gone.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
When you stick to boilerplate "I'm not thinking about it" language, it doesn't exactly reassure me. :laugh:
There are lots of ways to say "I want to stay here" even without coming out and saying it, but what Hampus said isn't one of them. I don't really blame him but still, it looks like as of now our best hope is that he has a good year and gets us something good at the deadline.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Meh. I take that as “I want to be paid like a top defenseman and I’m going to go to whoever will do it”.

the likelihood of us doing that is pretty low so I imagine he’s traded.

Reactions: Paul4587
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I’m always back and forth with Lindholm.

I get that he is a very important piece in our D core. My issue is his constant injury problems that make it tough to renegotiate for a long time. How can you invest in a player that’s more likely than not going to be out for an extended period of time?

does he like it here? Sure? By social media standards it looks like it. He’s best friends with Rakell, and always posting how he loves the place.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
To me his comments say he's not committed either way. He's waiting until the Ducks give him a reason to re-sign

AKA Either get drastically better as a team or overpay him enough to make him stay. The first isn't happening and I don't want him at 9 per. And if I were him why stay with a bad team for 7m when you can get that from a contender?

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
To me it sounds like he would stay especially if the stud youngsters have good years

but

he’s gonna get at least 7x7 easily

but if we end up where hfboards thinks then I can see him def jumping ship

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Sounds like he’s trying to make some coin in his next deal. Which isn’t overly surprising, he held out before.

If he doesn’t sign here Hopefully he has an awesome year and gets traded for a massive haul before the deadline.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I know the Ducks have sucked for awhile but starting next season and for the 7 seasons after that the Ducks should be in a very good spot. We have a great super young core that would be another year older by the start of his new contract with another top piece added. If I had to guess we would be top 10 in wins over that 7 year stretch without question.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If our "effort" is anything close to what I have been seeing I hope Hampus leaves. What an embarrassment no accountability.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Your boy has looked very good. I imagine most of you would like to see him re-signed. I can't imagine any interim/new GM trading a franchise cornerstone so soon onto the job; so I'd think it unthinkable that he's made available the deadline. But if for whatever reason the Ducks thought they could use Lindholm to patch other areas of the roster, I'd have to think he'd get an absolute haul. Blues and Isles fans both have openings he's ideally fit. We'd take good care of him if you dealt him to STL, but your team would be crazy to let him go.

Reactions: Arthuros

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Your boy has looked very good. I imagine most of you would like to see him re-signed. I can't imagine any interim/new GM trading a franchise cornerstone so soon onto the job; so I'd think it unthinkable that he's made available the deadline. But if for whatever reason the Ducks thought they could use Lindholm to patch other areas of the roster, I'd have to think he'd get an absolute haul. Blues and Isles fans both have openings he's ideally fit. We'd take good care of him if you dealt him to STL, but your team would be crazy to let him go.

Honestly, the crux of the issue is if they consider Lindholm to be a cornerstone. Had he remained healthy his entire career and maintained the level of play he's capable of when 100% healthy, we wouldn't even be discussing trading him.

Realistically, he has been shown to be the kinda guy who will randomly get hit by an prolonged injury (not even in the same place), but you'll love having him in your lineup when he's in. So it's super hard to gauge his value beyond that floor of a 1st + blue chip assuming an extension.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If he's traded, what do you think the Ducks would be looking for in return? F/D/G prospect(s) and/or picks?
I don't even want to think about it. Re-sign the man.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I hold him to higher standards than most I guess but I’ve thought compared to what I expect out of him he’s been just ok. Maybe having to carry a rookie hasn’t helped but I’ve seen much better stretches of games from Hampus.

Reactions: Goose of Reason

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I hold him to higher standards than most I guess but I’ve thought compared to what I expect out of him he’s been just ok. Maybe having to carry a rookie hasn’t helped but I’ve seen much better stretches of games from Hampus.

I'm on the same page, he still has a skillset like no other on the Ducks, but if he plays 80+ this season I'd like to re-sign him and HOPE it's a sign he's healthy moving forward. Assuming the price is right of course. If he get's hurt again, I just don't know. We don't have the type of team to lose our top defenseman for extended periods of time every season and hope that the timing is right and especially that it doesn't occur during the playoffs. I'm not sure I said much in that statement lol. His lack of offensive production should keep his cap hit from being astronomical, he simply doesn't produce offensively. He's been tried on the PP and looks lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul4587

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If he's traded, what do you think the Ducks would be looking for in return? F/D/G prospect(s) and/or picks?

No idea, but I assume there will be a lot of teams interested in him.

Ideally the return would be a highly touted defensive prospect or young potential top pairing guy. But that is unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad