Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm III - the Return/Revenge of the Swede?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Not sure if it's a surprise that he's a better goalscorer then Vatanen, maybe when they both broke into the league given Vatanen had a booming slap shot which grapped people's attention but once you see them both play (at least IMO) it's easy to see that Lindholm has the 'better' shot, in the sense that while he doesn't have the power Vatanen does Lindholm has always had this uncanny ability to pick gaps and place his shots perfectly be it for a shot on goal or a tip from a forward while Vatanen more is a guy who tries to overpower goaltenders.

Lindholm actually has more NHL goals then Vatanen and has more goals then Vatanen each of the last 3 seasons. Can easily see Lindholm pushing 40-45 points depending on what sort of ice time he gets, his offensive game goes a bit under the radar I think.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Not sure if it's a surprise that he's a better goalscorer then Vatanen, maybe when they both broke into the league given Vatanen had a booming slap shot which grapped people's attention but once you see them both play (at least IMO) it's easy to see that Lindholm has the 'better' shot, in the sense that while he doesn't have the power Vatanen does Lindholm has always had this uncanny ability to pick gaps and place his shots perfectly be it for a shot on goal or a tip from a forward while Vatanen more is a guy who tries to overpower goaltenders.

Lindholm actually has more NHL goals then Vatanen and has more goals then Vatanen each of the last 3 seasons. Can easily see Lindholm pushing 40-45 points depending on what sort of ice time he gets, his offensive game goes a bit under the radar I think.

I think the power play would be more dangerous if Lindholm got more time. He puts shots on the net better than any of our D. Montour has a hard shot but not as accurate. Fowler gets way too many blocked.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
My only issue with Lindholm on the PP is he fumbles the puck at the blueline at times. Same with Montour, I think Monty is a pretty average puck handler for the most part, and can be pretty sloppy with it. That's why Fowler isn't a bad choice to man the blueline on PP1, I'd just like to see Montour out there with him rather than the 4th forward. Honestly wouldn't mind trying Manson either.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Fowler fumbles the puck at the blueline as much as the others. An awful lot of that fumbling is the really crappy ice in almost all arenas today. It's frustrating but I'm not so sure it is a lack of skill as much as just ice conditions.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
My only issue with Lindholm on the PP is he fumbles the puck at the blueline at times. Same with Montour, I think Monty is a pretty average puck handler for the most part, and can be pretty sloppy with it. That's why Fowler isn't a bad choice to man the blueline on PP1, I'd just like to see Montour out there with him rather than the 4th forward. Honestly wouldn't mind trying Manson either.

Yeah I can’t believe Montour isn’t on the first PP. He has by far the best shot from the point on the team (besides Getzlaf on the rare occasions he shoots), can gain the zone as well as anyone and when he was actually on the first unit he was producing well.

It sucks he’s a RHS (as we sorely lack a LHS that can shoot) but he’s still good enough that he should be on the first unit.

Reactions: Johnny Caravella

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I actually don't think Fowler is on the PP for his shot. He's on the PP because he's the best option for consistent zone entries.

I've long said I'm not a fan of Getzlaf on the point, and they should stick with two defensemen, one for entries and one for the shot.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I actually don't think Fowler is on the PP for his shot. He's on the PP because he's the best option for consistent zone entries.

I've long said I'm not a fan of Getzlaf on the point, and they should stick with two defensemen, one for entries and one for the shot.

I thought Fowler was awesome on the PP back when Carlyle used him in the rover role. I don’t like him as the primary point man but if we could put someone on the first unit who can man the point while Fowler roams around and creates havoc that would be ideal.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I thought Fowler was awesome on the PP back when Carlyle used him in the rover role. I don’t like him as the primary point man but if we could put someone on the first unit who can man the point while Fowler roams around and creates havoc that would be ideal.

Funny thing, that was actually going to be where I went with any further discussion. I agree with you completely. I'd really like to see Lindholm manning the point, and for two reasons: 1) He can be trusted defensively. I like Montour, but I'm not quite comfortable with him as the last guy back on the PP. 2) He's just a really smart player. I think he fills the more traditional point man role on the PP, and while his shot doesn't really wow me in accuracy or power, I think he's a good weapon at the point because he sees the ice well, and does a good job of getting his shot into dangerous areas where it can be tipped, lead to a rebound, etc... plus he's a good passer because of that aforementioned vision on the ice.

The 1st unit is entirely too stationary sometimes, and I think having Lindholm on the point and Fowler playing rover would help encourage the entire unit to move more. It gets really annoying to me when we see Getzlaf and Fowler playing back and forth, or seeing them dish it down to a forward along the wall, who just feeds it back up to them, rinse and repeat. Let Lindholm make plays with Getzlaf, and have Fowler down lower collecting loose pucks and distributing it back to open players. He has the mobility to do that, and still be able to get to the open areas to be dangerous. I think that puts all three players into the best positions to use their respective skills, and if it doesn't work, then give Montour instead of Fowler, and maybe shift Getzlaf back down to the half wall, and have Montour and Lindholm man the point.

We criticized Boudreau when he did the same thing on the PP, and it bothers me that we're seeing the same with Carlyle. It's even more annoying because the PP continues to be inconsistent, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of attempt to try new things. It's mostly just putting another player on the unit, and then having the PP continue to run the same way.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Makes you wonder how many points Lindholm would have if he got to play with Getz and Rakell on the PP...

Yeah I feel bad for him and Montour this year, the second unit is brutal except for Kase. One of the worst second units we have had in years.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Given it took 1.5 years for this coaching staff to bother even practicing 3v3 where a point is at stake every shift, one has to wonder how much the PP practice just consists of going through the motions of same ol', same ol', rather than making any real effort to make beneficial changes.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Given it took 1.5 years for this coaching staff to bother even practicing 3v3 where a point is at stake every shift, one has to wonder how much the PP practice just consists of going through the motions of same ol', same ol', rather than making any real effort to make beneficial changes.

Which is stupid.

I can understand wanting to stick with something that you feel works. Say if the PP last season was top 10 in the league, and a genuine strength. I think it's understandable then. You'd say it was successful last year, and you just need to find the right mix to make it successful again(missing Eaves definitely hurts there).

The PP wasn't good enough to be standing firm on that, IMO.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Which is stupid.

I can understand wanting to stick with something that you feel works. Say if the PP last season was top 10 in the league, and a genuine strength. I think it's understandable then. You'd say it was successful last year, and you just need to find the right mix to make it successful again(missing Eaves definitely hurts there).

The PP wasn't good enough to be standing firm on that, IMO.
Well, I think most would agree that changes should be in order. But do we really ever see any change in the system? Too many times it consists of Getz standing with the puck at the half wall, trying to find an open pylon. Occasionally the pylons move and a PP looks dangerous now and then. But the basic plan lacks any creativity or speed as a component. This coaching staff is just out of touch which where the game is going.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Well, I think most would agree that changes should be in order. But do we really ever see any change in the system? Too many times it consists of Getz standing with the puck at the half wall, trying to find an open pylon. Occasionally the pylons move and a PP looks dangerous now and then. But the basic plan lacks any creativity or speed as a component. This coaching staff is just out of touch which where the game is going.

That's actually another reason that I'd like to see Lindholm on the PP. I think Lindholm is a bit more willing to start moving, while the 1st unit seems to defer to Getzlaf. If he's moving, they move. If he isn't, they don't. I could be wrong on that, and maybe he'd fall into the same pattern, but another player who has shown a willingness to move on the PP is worth a shot.

But yeah, I'm not keen on the way they seem to want the PP to run. It's too passive. My feeling is that the key to a good PP is to force the PK to move, and if you can get them to move back and forth quickly that's even better. I think that's when you start seeing lanes open up, and players start to get a little out of position because they are forced to keep track of where the opposing players are while also trying to be aware of where they are in relation to their teammates.

If you just stand there passing it back and forth, you make it easy.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That's actually another reason that I'd like to see Lindholm on the PP. I think Lindholm is a bit more willing to start moving, while the 1st unit seems to defer to Getzlaf. If he's moving, they move. If he isn't, they don't. I could be wrong on that, and maybe he'd fall into the same pattern, but another player who has shown a willingness to move on the PP is worth a shot.

But yeah, I'm not keen on the way they seem to want the PP to run. It's too passive. My feeling is that the key to a good PP is to force the PK to move, and if you can get them to move back and forth quickly that's even better. I think that's when you start seeing lanes open up, and players start to get a little out of position because they are forced to keep track of where the opposing players are while also trying to be aware of where they are in relation to their teammates.

If you just stand there passing it back and forth, you make it easy.

I doubt that changing personnel will have much impact as long as the team is directed to run the same "system". But I agree with what you described previously, having Hampus man the point and letting Fowler or Montour rove a bit. It's 5v4, you have an extra man. If you keep moving your guys (preferably with some logic like football receivers), you should have the advantage of getting a guy open due to the man advantage. You need more of a Globtrotter approach as opposed to standing around waiting for D man to hopefully get lost or think you are going to tire out the D.

But to get back to the real issue, there has been little change in a PP that too often looks lost. Why has there been so little if any effort at trying new things?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Because our coach isn't adept at change.
amen-meme.png

Reactions: Sojourn

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think the power play would be more dangerous if Lindholm got more time. He puts shots on the net better than any of our D. Montour has a hard shot but not as accurate. Fowler gets way too many blocked.
agree with all of this. He is the one d that does a good job of getting shots through at the right time.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
12 goals in 63 games, topping what Fowler did in goals last year, what pace is that if Lindholm didn't miss any games this year ? My guess is he'd be at 15 goals already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad