Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm - II

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Because this is the way it goes in the NHL. For every Bergeron or Marchand, there is 5-10 guys out of the league during this age. The Ducks didn't want to sign him long term.

It was the same logic for not signing Torey Krug to this same deal. This deal will be bad in a few years, but I am fine with that right now if it means a good LHS defenceman.

The Bruins have to go for it.

I guess we'll see in those years.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Very happy we got some help on the blue line. It will alleviate some pressure and allow players slot into roles they are more comfortable in. Helps the goaltenders out as well.

Now we just need a player that has no issues dropping the gloves at a drop of a hat.....

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Not sure exactly what the new D pairs will be

how about an out of the box I haven't seen yet....(maybe cuz it sucks LOL )

Reilly has played with McAvoy
Lindholm - Grz
Carlo - Forbort

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Lindholm - Grz
Carlo - Forbort

You have players playing their off side.

And that 3rd pair even if they were playing their right sides looks horrendous.

Reactions: Gordoff

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Lots of lindholms assists shots that were tipped. Coyle,debrusk, bergeron, marchand, all have elite hand eye. He might be uniquely talented at finding teammates sticks in traffic. Could be a force on PP2

Reactions: BMC

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Lindholm - Grz
Carlo - Forbort

Grz is LHD and Carlo is RHD

I think it will be

Lindholm McAvoy
Grz Carlo
Forbort Clifton

Reilly sits on Thursday. If something happens to Grz. Reilly can replace him. Otherwise rotate Forbort, Reilly and Clifton imo

Reactions: HumBucker

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
@b in vancouver, appreciate the thought behind your anti-tank post in the previous thread. It’s a sound argument, which we’ve discussed previously. It all comes back to what you want out of your team. The Bruins are a model of consistency, no doubt about it. And their model works in so much as they continue to be a good, contending team year after year. It’s impressive, for the most part it’s good value entertainment for the fans, and, as I always say, it’s what the Boston fans want. It’s also what Jeremy Jacobs wants, and in that sense he and the fans are far more in tune that many are willing to admit.

It doesn’t win many Cups though, generally because there will always be some other team/s rising up from a genuine rebuild who have more talent as a result. Different teams come and go, but there is almost always somebody. Very occasionally you’ll get lucky and the field opens up, as it did in 2019 when Tampa blew it against Columbus. The Blues took a fairly makeshift roster to glory thanks to a Western Conference that was in transition and the Bruins bottling it when it mattered most. But that happens very rarely. All the multi-Cup winners of the last 15 years – Pens, Hawks, Kings and Bolts – all won off the back of solid rebuilds. Periods of suckage were followed by sustained success. It’s not the only way to win, but it’s the most frequently successful. Even the Bruins’ sole Cup doesn’t happen without the struggles and rebuild on the fly of the early 2000s.

Of course the flip side is what you point out – the history of the league is filled with the miseries of botched rebuilds. Many more fail than pay off and consign those franchises to long periods of poor performance. But that’s the rub. The best chances of ultimate success come from taking the largest risk. The Bruins don’t want to do that and I get it. You just have to accept though that there are consequences to that, same as there are for choosing any other path.

I should point out too that while I did use the word ‘tank’ in a previous post, I was exaggerating a bit. I don’t think the Bruins have to go full scorched earth hit the bottom and completely rebuild from the ground up. As others here have said, they have too many good young pieces in place for that. But I do favor a smaller rebuild, or re-tool if that’s a better word, that accepts a short period of being less competitive and places greater priority on some solid drafting to fill key positions that will put together a good young core to compliment McAvoy, Pasta, Swayman etc. That’s what I’d like to see, because I think that the Bruins’ Cup window is realistically shut and their best chances have passed them by, but I accept at least in the short-term it’s not going to happen.

In that sense I’m not against the Lindholm deal in itself. If you accept what Sweeney’s doing as right for the organization, in trying to keep the Bs as a perpetual contender, then it’s a good move. He’s a solid add who fills a definite need, and he’s been signed to a reasonable contract. All well and good. It’s the model and current direction that I disagree with, because I fear it will continue to consign the Bruins to being close but no cigar, and may at some point see the wheels fall off completely. It’s philosophical differences, but that’s fine. All you can do as a fan is take and enjoy the ride as it comes and see what happens. The Bruins are gunning for another Cup tilt, and I’ll support the team in that, regardless of my doubts. Nothing would make me happier than for them to go all the way.

How about they pilfer the scouts from TB?

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Reilly- Clifton
Forbort- Brown

Where I probably keep the 5-9 in constant rotation depending on the matchup

End of game with a lead you obviously go Lindholm-McAvoy
This is what Id like to see. Two horses on two different pairings and then you have the ability to play Mac with lindholm late in games.

Also I think Lindholm will be just what Carlo may need to turn his game around back to where it was once heading.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
People concerned about this going to 36 years old remember lots of good players are good at 36. And if i had to wager a player that is as freakishly athletic as he is with his crazy high conditioning level (see combine results, vo2max) will be one of those players that are good well into their 30s

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
People concerned about this going to 36 years old remember lots of good players are good at 36. And if i had to wager a player that is as freakishly athletic as he is with his crazy high conditioning level (see combine results, vo2max) will be one of those players that are good well into their 30s

yes .
Plus it’s structured in such a way the last 3 years he can be attractive to small market teams.
His cap hit remans at 6.5 while actual dollars out are much lower.
Especially as market continues to rise and will rise as Cap increases.

Its just a non issue long term in a business sense.

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
Zdeno Chara says hello. So does Chris Chelios and Nick Lidstrom . All defenseman.

I have been watching Hampus Lindholm for years and have wanted him to be a Bruin. I know his analytics this year may look weaker than his historical, but he was paired mostly with the 19 year old Drysdale on a bad team. But let's make no bones about this, Hampus Lindholm is a "world class" hockey player. The Bruins will look much different with him in the lineup. And Mattt Gryzlek will not be on the ice (as much) late in games when defending a lead. That will be Charlie and Hampus. Every D man moves down into the spot where they will be most effective. Charlie and Hampus will eat up huge chunks of TOI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad