Rumor: Hamonic wants to come to Western Canada...START YOUR BIDDING!

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Like I say I'm not terribly familiar with Hamonic so I'm looking at this with limited viewings, but the gap in their offense seems fairly small. I guess if we made the trade I'd be ok with it but I don't see a huge need for it either.

I think it's a killing Peter to feed Paul kind of situation. Hamonic may be a slight upgrade in a bubble but we know exactly how well Tanev fits with the team and with Edler. I think it would be silly to trade a good known commodity for the mystery box so to say. Also Tanev and Edler are hardly a problem and moving Tanev would still leave our D depth the same so it doesn't really address a weak spot.

Tanev makes like 650k more than Hamonic anyway and they're UFA at the same time. Hamonic's cheaper but not by enough to really make a difference.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Snow has to lower his price.

Giordano, Brodie, Tanev, Klefbom, Nurse are not moving. No reason for a team to help NYI like that.
I'd move Sekera, trouba, or Myers but I thought Sekera has a NTC.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Edmonton doesn't need to be moving D for D, it's not really going to help them. Sekera might not be as advertised in Edmonton but he's still a good player that they need to be bolstering their depth around if they have any plans of being competitive in the next 3 years.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I think it's a killing Peter to feed Paul kind of situation. Hamonic may be a slight upgrade in a bubble but we know exactly how well Tanev fits with the team and with Edler. I think it would be silly to trade a good known commodity for the mystery box so to say. Also Tanev and Edler are hardly a problem and moving Tanev would still leave our D depth the same so it doesn't really address a weak spot.

Tanev makes like 650k more than Hamonic anyway and they're UFA at the same time. Hamonic's cheaper but not by enough to really make a difference.

Eh, I don't know how you can say that in a cap-world. That's basically having a free Cracknell play on your 4th line in today's NHL. There's definitely value in having a cheaper contract especially when, as most say, they are almost identical players, but Hamonic exceeds is the physicality and offensive categories.

I can get behind not trading Tanev due to his current chemistry with Edler and the team, that's totally reasonable, but I wouldn't omit that potential to add a guy like Hamonic. I don't think Hamonic would disrupt our team and it's a risk I'd explore.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think Sekera has evened out his play the last month. He'll only look better as the Oilers blueline gains depth so he can slot into a more appropriate role. He's a guy that will look good behind a good first pairing.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think Sekera has evened out his play the last month. He'll only look better as the Oilers blueline gains depth so he can slot into a more appropriate role. He's a guy that will look good behind a good first pairing.

Which he is not a terrible fit for the Islanders. Slight downgrade, but if Edmonton add something it shouldn't be a terrible deal for either party.

Islanders is already a "top 4" kind of team. Sekera fits in a good top 4.

Why wouldn't he waive? New York vs. Edmonton? Islanders are basically what Edmonton dream of being 2-3 years from now. Sekera is 29. Islanders is a better fit in that sense.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Eh, I don't know how you can say that in a cap-world. That's basically having a free Cracknell play on your 4th line in today's NHL. There's definitely value in having a cheaper contract especially when, as most say, they are almost identical players, but Hamonic exceeds is the physicality and offensive categories.

I can get behind not trading Tanev due to his current chemistry with Edler and the team, that's totally reasonable, but I wouldn't omit that potential to add a guy like Hamonic. I don't think Hamonic would disrupt our team and it's a risk I'd explore.

Yeah but in hindsight no one saw Cracknell actually being serviceable in the NHL this season. We all assumed he was going to be for Utica. It's the same situation with Santorelli when we signed him.

In general speak 650k isn't going to get you a very serviceable NHLer 95% of the time.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Which he is not a terrible fit for the Islanders. Slight downgrade, but if Edmonton add something it shouldn't be a terrible deal for either party.

Islanders is already a "top 4" kind of team. Sekera fits in a good top 4.

Why wouldn't he waive? New York vs. Edmonton? Islanders are basically what Edmonton dream of being 2-3 years from now. Sekera is 29. Islanders is a better fit in that sense.

I don't disagree with your logic but I don't see Chiarelli trading his biggest UFA acquisition that easily. It's pretty much the first time in a long time the Oilers actually got a top 4 UFA defenseman. Trading him away less than 6 months later wouldn't be very good optics for an organization that already struggles getting free agent talent.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don't disagree with your logic but I don't see Chiarelli trading his biggest UFA acquisition that easily. It's pretty much the first time in a long time the Oilers actually got a top 4 UFA defenseman. Trading him away less than 6 months later wouldn't be very good optics for an organization that already struggles getting free agent talent.

Indeed. If the Islanders need another D-man back then the Oilers are a no go unless they can convince the Islanders to take an injured Schultz.

That said, this is unlikely to be a Harmonic for similar quality D-man trade. That type of trade doesn't make a lot of sense for the acquiring team. Rather it would have to be a part of some larger trade (see the Jets-Sabres deal) or the Islanders would have to generate a return that allows them to move a new surplus of player to get the D-man back.

If not then they are looking at a more futures driven deal or adding to the payroll.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Since Hamonic is the one wanting out, the price is not going to be 'fair' for them. I can't see Calgary being interested in him at the moment since they just invested in Hamilton less than 4 months ago. Edmonton does not have a D of Hamonic's calibre to trade.

I would say it's between Winnipeg and Vancouver, with Winnipeg being the better option as far as assets go.

For Vancouver, I would start with Hamhuis and end with Tanev as the offer.

Why would you offer Tanev? Is it because you like players that are worse at ice hockey?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Tanev's defence is one of the best, but the one thing that concerns me is his lack of offense. As a top 2 D, I'd expect a bit more offence which is why the availability of Hamonic is quite attractive. Hamonic would replace his D and provide some extras at a cheaper rate.

Travis Hamonic does not replace Christopher Tanev's D, absolutely not.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Schultz and Eberle is a pretty good return.

Especially if okposo walks. (Deadline deal him for another good return)

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Meh, that's a lot of cap going New Yorks way. I've always found Eberle to be grossly overrated, and Schultz is hot garbage.

Hamonic has put Snow in a tough spot, they're going to get less than what he's worth.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

Problem is Islanders are stacked at RW this season and have a lot of good RW/C prospects next year. They'd have to fit Eberle and Okposo in along with their other 3 RWers.

It would make sense in the off-season depending on the Okposo situation but in season it would just complicate it. Sure, they could move Okposo but why would they? They know he has great chemistry with JT and Snow has said flat out that they won't be moving Nielsen or Okposo in season.

The difference Okposo is looking for 6-7m and Eberle makes 6m. I'm sure if the Islanders were willing to spend that kind of money on that RW position the would just re-up Okposo for free over trading assets for a player of the same salary that's arguably no better.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

I wouldn't say easily. Even if Hamonic isn't Karlsson a player like him at his age basically never becomes available.

Hamonic, Klefbom, Nurse. Dare I say that is a half decent set of Ds?

2-3 years from now that could really be something. And Hamonic should balance the style of Klefbom, Nurse and Schultz nicely.

Pretty sure Sekera isn't the Islanders' first choice though, but could see it happening as it won't be easy for them to get a great deal anywhere else.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
This is ridiculous. Why is Hamonic getting ridiculously over valued? On Sportsnet they were saying that Snow might want someone like Trouba, or D.Hamilton, or even Nurse+ from Edmonton. The guy wants out FFS. Usually when a player publicly wants a trade, he receives LESS value. Why the **** would we offer Chris Tanev for him? Tanev is a better ice hockey player than Hamonic. And trust me I've been watching Hamonic alot this year. That's no Slight to Hamonic because he's a great young defenseman (A number 3-4 at worst) I just think the offers being thrown around are really excessive and what he really returns will open up alot of people's eyes. Just my two cents

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
this team doesn't need Hamonic at this point. It's simply plugging a leak on a sinking ship. We need to build for 5-10 years from now when we have a chance to be a good team again.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
This is ridiculous. Why is Hamonic getting ridiculously over valued? On Sportsnet they were saying that Snow might want someone like Trouba, or D.Hamilton, or even Nurse+ from Edmonton. The guy wants out FFS. Usually when a player publicly wants a trade, he receives LESS value. Why the **** would we offer Chris Tanev for him? Tanev is a better ice hockey player than Hamonic. And trust me I've been watching Hamonic alot this year. That's no Slight to Hamonic because he's a great young defenseman (A number 3-4 at worst) I just think the offers being thrown around are really excessive and what he really returns will open up alot of people's eyes. Just my two cents
It's called negotiation. You set the bar high and then the other team tries to negotiate it down.

You don't do what our GM do and start the negotiation at what it ultimately would end up and then end up getting less.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I mostly agree with CC I always thought that hamonic was kind of overrated as a player, he's on a fantastic contract and is absolutely a great #3 though. no one should be moving brodie, tanev, trouba or nurse for him. it's hard to gauge what he's actually worth, players of his ilk usually aren't traded (young top 4 dman on good contracts)

hearing that the wild are heavily in on hamonic, I wouldn't move scandella for him personally as I think he's better and has chemistry with a lot of guys in their system.

will be interesting to see what he returns

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
CGY: Hey I heard about Hamonic. Unfortunate man.. Nothing you can do.
NYI: Yeah we obviously need a D back
CGY: We got Kris Russel
NYI: Brodie?
NYI/CGY: nvm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad