Rumor: Hamonic to Edmonton?

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Hammer would help any club. Is he an all star? No. A lunch pail kind of guy that can get the job done if paired correctly. I don't think he's a top four guy anymore, but on the third pair and the PK is where his value is.

A heck of a citizen as well with his charity work and he is idolized by First Nations and Metis kids as he does a lot of work with them as well.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Prefer it over Hutton.

Seems to be a pretty high character guy who wants to be in Western Canada to be there for his family. Those are good guys to have it a room. Seems like he’s got a good head on his shoulders, I wouldn’t mind him on our bottom pairing. Solid veteran presence.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Would say they are done now.... have Bouchard and have to think he makes it...
Even if Bouchard doesn't make it Oilers have Barrie, Bear and Larsson as RD and Russell and Jones who can also play RD.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Even if Bouchard doesn't make it Oilers have Barrie, Bear and Larsson as RD and Russell and Jones who can also play RD.
Oiler’s are thinking they’re in the Cup hunt, so young guys, especially on D, will not get to learn on the job. I can see Hamonic signing too, as insurance against the young guys being forced into the lineup before they’re ready.

Reactions: snipes

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oiler’s are thinking they’re in the Cup hunt, so young guys, especially on D, will not get to learn on the job. I can see Hamonic signing too, as insurance against the young guys being forced into the lineup before they’re ready.
Klef out for the year. So, depth would be a good thing and they might as well spend the ltir cap space.

Reactions: Luckylarry

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Would say they are done now.... have Bouchard and have to think he makes it...
I doubt he does even though he is ready for NHL minutes.

He has Bear, Barrie and Larsson ahead of him. He'll be called up if there are any injuries. Hamonic could still be signed as insurance for the bottom pairing.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Thats a bit far.
He’s not top 4 anymore, but he’s be an upgrade on every Canadian teams’ bottom pair. If you’re giving this guy 15 minutes a night, PK, he’ll be a decent player for you.
I think he's in #6-7 territory and could very well find himself on the fringes of the league depending on how this season goes. Probably a great guy in the locker room, undoubtedly an outstanding character that any community would be lucky to have but is he an every day guy anymore? I'm not sure - always thought we looked better in defense when he was out of the line-up

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Hamonic is fine. Any Flames fan who says otherwise is flat out wrong. Sorry to be harsh.

“Not an NHL player” and “seriously not good” are not true in the slightest.

There’s a disease on the Flames forum that relatively immobile, defensive types are bad. Same thing happened with Engelland and he spent 3 more years playing decent hockey in the NHL after he left Calgary. This after a solid year plus of hearing Engelland was no longer an NHL player.

Would gladly have Hammer back for #6 if I didn’t think Kylington had much more to give than he’s shown so far.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Hamonic is fine. Any Flames fan who says otherwise is flat out wrong. Sorry to be harsh.

“Not an NHL player” and “seriously not good” are not true in the slightest.

There’s a disease on the Flames forum that relatively immobile, defensive types are bad. Same thing happened with Engelland and he spent 3 more years playing decent hockey in the NHL after he left Calgary. This after a solid year plus of hearing Engelland was no longer an NHL player.

Would gladly have Hammer back for #6 if I didn’t think Kylington had much more to give than he’s shown so far.

Sorry bud, but you're the only one wrong here. Hamonic is terrible.

It's not a surprise our defense and Hanifin was infinitely better when Hamonic opted out.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Sorry bud, but you're the only one wrong here. Hamonic is terrible.

It's not a surprise our defense and Hanifin was infinitely better when Hamonic opted out.
Good rebuttal. The defence was better because Andersson got elevated. Like, think about it, Andersson, our likely #1D this coming year was behind both Brodie and Hamonic last year. No surprise the defence was better when Anderson played more. The fact that Hamonic was slotted above where he should have been wasn’t his issue. He’s a perfectly capable NHL defenceman and it’s frankly laughable to suggest otherwise.

I have even said the best thing for the D was that he opted out, not because he’s terrible, but because Andersson is a stud.

The only thing terrible here is people’s evaluation of Hammer, bud.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Good rebuttal. The defence was better because Andersson got elevated. Like, think about it, Andersson, our likely #1D this coming year was behind both Brodie and Hamonic last year. No surprise the defence was better when Anderson played more. The fact that Hamonic was slotted above where he should have been wasn’t his issue. He’s a perfectly capable NHL defenceman and it’s frankly laughable to suggest otherwise.

I have even said the best thing for the D was that he opted out, not because he’s terrible, but because Andersson is a stud.

The only thing terrible here is people’s evaluation of Hammer, bud.

lol

Look at every advanced stat, Hamonic is a bottom 5 player in the league. Watch him on the ice, horrible play after horrible play.

Hamonic hasn't been good in 5 years.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
lol

Look at every advanced stat, Hamonic is a bottom 5 player in the league. Watch him on the ice, horrible play after horrible play.

Hahahah now he’s a bottom 5 player. Talk about doubling down on a horrible opinion. You still have time to delete this.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
lol

That Hammer - Hanifin pairing was damn good in 2018-19. Probably to a fault, as they tried to go to that well a bit too much when it clearly wasn’t working in 19-20.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

Or just that Holland has thought about and analyzed the year and sees a condensed, short season needing a strong taxi squad.

Hamonic would solidify Edmonton’s depth just by keeping it where it belongs.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I am disappointed to read some of these Hamonic hot takes . In the several Flames/Isles matchups I have seen, Hamonic looked fine, nothing like the tire fire described in some of these posts.
While it makes sense he wants to stick close to Western Canada,I had some hope Lou could lure him back to LI in a #7 role/locker room leader role. He was a very popular guy on the ice and in the locker room .
I would rather have Hammer then Sebastian Aho as the #7.

Reactions: Grantham and snipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad