Rumor: Hamonic to Edmonton?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Even if Hammer is a good option as a #6/#7, I think any GM needs to know if Hamonic sees himself in that role or if he still believes he's a top 4 option. As much as he seems like a great guy in the room, that might not be the case if he doesn't believe he's being given the minutes he deserves. That could be part of the hold up in signing him if he's more concerned about role than money.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I am disappointed to read some of these Hamonic hot takes . In the several Flames/Isles matchups I have seen, Hamonic looked fine, nothing like the tire fire described in some of these posts.
While it makes sense he wants to stick close to Western Canada,I had some hope Lou could lure him back to LI in a #7 role/locker room leader role. He was a very popular guy on the ice and in the locker room .
I would rather have Hammer then Sebastian Aho as the #7.

Hot take as in he’s a bottom pairing guy now? I ask as the consensus seems to be he’s a 6/7 now. Even on our dumpster fire Oil D he’s that. Larsson looked good the last 20 games of the season, Bear is young and promising and looking like a legit #4 D and Barrie while needing to be somewhat sheltered 5v5 fits a need on our club as a transition D and top pp option with Klefbom out. That rounds out the RD and leaves Bouchard who is perhaps NHL ready on the outside looking in.

So while calling him a #7 might seem unwarranted at this point where does he fit? As a fan who’s likely seen a ton of him from the his Islander days can he effecting play his off-side? He’d have a better chance slotting on the left side but he’s going to be behind Nurse and Jones and competing with Russell for that #6 spot

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Hot take as in he’s a bottom pairing guy now? I ask as the consensus seems to be he’s a 6/7 now. Even on our dumpster fire Oil D he’s that. Larsson looked good the last 20 games of the season, Bear is young and promising and looking like a legit #4 D and Barrie while needing to be somewhat sheltered 5v5 fits a need on our club as a transition D and top pp option with Klefbom out. That rounds out the RD and leaves Bouchard who is perhaps NHL ready on the outside looking in.

So while calling him a #7 might seem unwarranted at this point where does he fit? As a fan who’s likely seen a ton of him from the his Islander days can he effecting play his off-side? He’d have a better chance slotting on the left side but he’s going to be behind Nurse and Jones and competing with Russell for that #6 spot

I have read in this thread that ' he hasn't been good for 5 yrs' and another poster has doubts he is even a fringe nhler at this point.

Btw,I am not talking about his landing in Edmonton,but what he could bring to any team, on a very cheap,1 yr deal instead of an cheap ahler.

In the isles/Flames games I have seen since he was dealt, Hamonic was solid.
Kind of hard to believe his game has fallen so far off a cliff.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Hamonic is a good option as a bottom pairing defensemen. They're not supposed to be amazing players, just solid players who wont make many mistakes and I think at this point that's Hamonic. He has the experience and potential to really add to the team. My only concern would be if he sits out due to Covid this year.

He should be cheap because of the role he'd play and he's only willing to sign in western Canada so that really limits his options, otherwise I think he'd be signed by now.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oilers being in win now mode it makes sense to add Hamonic along with the Koekkoek signing we just had.

Lets Jones play on the 3rd pair where I thought he did really well in that type of deployment, and we don’t need to rush Bouchard and Lagesson.

Besides, as Tampa has shown and other recent history, you need at least 8 NHL caliber D men to survive and thrive through the regular season and playoffs.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Oilers are done adding D I should think. We needed a bit more depth on the LH side and got that with Koekkoek on the cheap. I’d be more than surprised if they brought in Hamonic.

Reactions: RattsSSV

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Even if Hammer is a good option as a #6/#7, I think any GM needs to know if Hamonic sees himself in that role or if he still believes he's a top 4 option. As much as he seems like a great guy in the room, that might not be the case if he doesn't believe he's being given the minutes he deserves. That could be part of the hold up in signing him if he's more concerned about role than money.
I’d be surprised if that were the case. Probably more to do with him restricting his list to western Canada coupled with concerns about COVID, and waiting to see what happens with that. Pure speculation of course but he’s never struck me as a guy who wouldn’t be happy just playing hockey.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
How did he not sign with Winnipeg? Seemed like the perfect fit for both sides.

He would be bottom pairing on the Jets and too expensive as a bottom pairing guy to boot. Jets fans have been saying for months he won't be a Jets assuming DeMelo resigned.........for the Jets to take him now it would have to be for less then a million dollars and see if he can earn a bottom pairing job.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Guess the Jets chose DeMelo over him then and I don’t know much about Tucker Poolman’s abilities. But i’ll say this, the Flames absolutely pulverized Pionk in the post season. I don’t think there was Jet more helpful to the Flames. The stats even show that with his -6 and 10 giveaways.

Hamonic could be would be a stabilizing force for any team at least when healthy. He’s probably one of the best people in the NHL and his leadership and good will off the ice are exemplary. Even if he ends up on a rival team, that’s ok with me as the NHL as I think the league wins with a guy like this is employed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad