Injury Report: Hamonic Concussion - **Activated off of IR**

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hamonic is wearing a full contact jersey and is doing four drills with the team at practice today. Good signs.

For what it's worth, it looks like Regin may be the guy to go when Hamonic is ready to come off IR. New lines today and he's being phased out.

Considering how important he is to the team going forward, he better be 100% before returning. The kid is a warrior and you know it kills him to miss a shift, let alone a game. Protect him from himself and protect an important long term asset for the organization. I personally hope he doesn't return before the Olympic break so every precaution is taken.

Still, it's good news to see he's progressing again.

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Hamonic is wearing a full contact jersey and is doing four drills with the team at practice today. Good signs.

For what it's worth, it looks like Regin may be the guy to go when Hamonic is ready to come off IR. New lines today and he's being phased out.

Thank the God of Hockey if this last part comes to fruition, but I know my hope in a randomly better line combination will be short-lived. Having said that last little disclaimer, the line with Regin, Nielsen and Bailey was just a horrible idea. If Regin is truly being phased out, at least it changes that one line combo. Sadly, its replacement will probably still be poorly imagined when it's done.

I wouldn't mind if Regin was dropped to 4th line center, but only because of what you could then do with the rest of the lineup. I realize our 4th line has been effective, but Cizikas has way more offense in him than Regin while Regin wouldn't be totally worthless in a 4th line role.

I mean, does this not look more balanced(?):

Vanek-JT-KO
Bailey-Nelson-Nielsen
Grabner-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Martin-Regin-McDonald

I know I'm asking for miracles that they actually move Nielsen to the right side, but we really need to try him there already (for a lot of reasons.) The left side is up for debate, mostly Grabner and Bailey, but I think you need to take a look at our current contracts and get an idea for the future of this lineup. We should have put something like this together much earlier. (If anyone cares for me to continue this line of thought, I might simply look for a more relevant thread to continue it. I have a ton of reasoning behind this which I'm obviously overly willing to share. :laugh: )

More on topic, I hope Hamonic stays symptom free. It would be terrible to see his career ended early from any of this. I've been back and forth between KO and Hammer for my next jersey going back to last season. Pains me to not see the kid in the lineup almost as much as it pains me to see AMac getting too many minutes.

:),
Mitch

mitchy22

Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Considering how important he is to the team going forward, he better be 100% before returning. The kid is a warrior and you know it kills him to miss a shift, let alone a game. Protect him from himself and protect an important long term asset for the organization. I personally hope he doesn't return before the Olympic break so every precaution is taken.

Still, it's good news to see he's progressing again.

Words of wisdom this organization didn't apply enough in the past. It does seem like they're being more careful these days, but they really need to be beyond careful with Hamonic. He's just too huge a piece to mishandle. Plus, since he's not a goalie, we might actually do it properly.

:),
Mitch

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Please do not play him Saturday.

The season is pretty much over. There is no point to bring him back before the 17 day break for the Olympics. Just give him the extra 2.5 weeks rest. Hamonic is a key player for the Islanders and concussions are serious and potentially career threatening. Extra rest can't hurt.

I feel the same way, getting a game in before the Olympic break is not worth the risk. Get fully healthy and work out during the break, return afterwards raring to go.

Maybe AMac is dealt by Friday? The organization has the best read on Hamonic's recovery and if they feel that he's definitely ready to go for Saturday... just sayin. :naughty:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I feel the same way, getting a game in before the Olympic break is not worth the risk. Get fully healthy and work out during the break, return afterwards raring to go.

Maybe AMac is dealt by Friday? The organization has the best read on Hamonic's recovery and if they feel that he's definitely ready to go for Saturday... just sayin. :naughty:

Let's hope Hammer gets through Saturday, giving him more time makes the most sense but the Islanders and common sense don't go together.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
The only reason they would play Hamonic Saturday is if they still have hope for this season. Maybe if they lose tonight they'll hold Hammer out.

fishstick

Mar 4, 2013
Europe

The season is pretty much over. There is no point to bring him back before the 17 day break for the Olympics. Just give him the extra 2.5 weeks rest. Hamonic is a key player for the Islanders and concussions are serious and potentially career threatening. Extra rest can't hurt.

Agree. Don't take the risk for only one game

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

Agree with you. Even though I still hold some small hope of getting back into the race it is not worth risking his health. The extra rest will give him a much better chance at a more complete recovery.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
He's been activated off of IR per the team.

http://nyisl.es/toNLd

Prefer they rest him but this is still good news.. now the Regin is traded does this mean that Hamonic takes his roster spot, giving us 9 D and only 12 forwards on the active roster? We already had an extra D before this, I think.

Edit: Obviously I realize that Strome and maybe Lee or a trade may adjust the number of roster forwards right after the Olympic break, but was just curious if Hamonic is taking Regin's roster spot with no more current moves as of now.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Prefer they rest him but this is still good news.. now the Regin is traded does this mean that Hamonic takes his roster spot, giving us 9 D and only 12 forwards on the active roster? We already had an extra D before this, I think.

Edit: Obviously I realize that Strome and maybe Lee or a trade may adjust the number of roster forwards right after the Olympic break, but was just curious if Hamonic is taking Regin's roster spot with no more current moves as of now.

Yes, at least for tomorrow's game it will be 12 F and 9 D.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just give him the extra game and th Olympic break.

There's no downside to sitting him one more game and haveing a few extra weeks.

MaryChristine*

Just curious, for all your negativity and complaining, you sure you are not a closet Ranger fan? :p:

There you go again... Brainy...:teach2:
A Ranger fan wouldn't complain about Hamonic coming back early... It's not negativity, it's taking extra precaution to avoid further unnecessary injury.

burana800

Dec 5, 2010
Finland
If he is 100% let him play. It's not like he is gonna be 110% in two weeks. I don't know if he is 100% but I know he wants to play.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Does any here think that maybe Hamonic wants to play?

By some of the comic relief in this post, no one would believe it.
I tend to think it is a combination of management, player and doctors. This should help all 3 parts understand if there are any lingering effects after a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad